PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown .45 ACP barrels and cast boolits

Blackwater
06-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Have any of you tried the Ed Brown barrels for the 1911 .45 ACP? Their copy claims they're especially good with cast because their rifling is deeper. Since the .45 has always had rather shallow rifling, it seems this could be an advantage, and I'm thinking of getting at least one for my pair of Combat Commanders. Any experience you can relate would be appreciated.

PbHurler
06-20-2012, 07:19 AM
I shoot two Ed Brown 1911's (Special Forces, & Molon Labe) The only issue, if you want to call it that , is deciding on which load you'd like to use. In my guns, EVERYTHING I load shoots extremely well (Accurate). I'm zeroing-in on settling on the Vhitavouri N310 & N320powders because they are so darned clean burning. N310 with the Mihec H&G #68 is a wonderful load for me, the barrel looks damn-near unfired (through 100 rds anyway). I size to .452 & use Carnauba Red lube. It's kind of hard to pick a "favorite" load. The Mihec H&G 68 feeds fantasticly as does any of the round nose configurations out there. Mind you, these are factory guns with no special mods. I've not seen just an Ed Brown barrel, but if they're like his firearms, I think you'd be quite pleased. Hope this helps, Good luck.

bobthenailer
06-20-2012, 07:23 AM
I have never used a Ed Brown barrel but i have used alot of his upgraded parts for the 1911 and they are of excellent quality .
I do have 6 1911 match barrels from , 2- Nowlin , 2- Clark , 2- Kart , and they all shoot cast very well and im a accuracy buff and only use cast bullets in them.

captaint
06-20-2012, 09:36 AM
For what it's worth, I think Les Baer uses Kart barrels. They do shoot very well. enjoy Mike

Shiloh
06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I have never used a Ed Brown barrel but i have used alot of his upgraded parts for the 1911 and they are of excellent quality .

+1 to this.

Fortunately my stock barrel has shot every cast boolit fed to it very well.

Shiloh

zomby woof
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Kart, you won't be disappointed.