PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Hardness Checker

mtmeredith
06-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Hello,

Will a bullet hardness checker work with a resizing press as opposed to a reloading press? I am going to cast musket balls and minnie balls and won;t need a reloading press at this time.

Thanks

45-70 Chevroner
06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Are you unsure of the hardness of the lead you are using? You should be using pure or near pure lead for cast balls or minnie balls. You can use hard lead ie. wheel weights but they are harder to load and your accuracy will not be as good. Just about any hardware store or plumbing supply that sells plumbers lead will be pure lead.
I really don't see a need for a hardness tester for lead used in a muzzleloader. Save your money and buy pure lead. Thats assuming you are using a muzzleloader.

RobS
06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
If you are talking about a Lee hardness tester then the resizing press will need to have 7/8-14 threads (same threads used on standard reloading dies) and then you'll need the ram that goes up to meet the indentor/plunger of the tester. I don't know what your resizing press looks like but if it's similar in nature to a reloading press with the same threads then it may work.

There are other lead testers out there on the market other than the Lee that does not use a reloading press. Some that come to mind are the LBT, Saeco, and Cabin Tree.