PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Leading

ski2me
06-18-2012, 10:12 PM
I've never used lead before this year. For the last several months lead is all I've shot. About 500 rounds in each of my two Glocks.

I clean them regularly but I'm not sure what a leaded barrel looks like. What should I be looking for?

Don't laugh, I'm just inexperienced.

popper
06-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Silver strands and decreased accuracy. Use a copper chore-boy on a brush and look for silver flakes. If none, you are OK.

williamwaco
06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Don't worry.

You will know it when you see it.

Pix here:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/leading-degrees.htm

500MAG
06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
You have to be careful with the gLock when firing lead boolits. The Glock has polygonal rifling and it is hard to see the lead build up because it is so smooth. You can add more layers of lead without knowing it. I hear there are aftermarket barrels for the Glock that don't have this rifling.

ski2me
06-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I'll look closer at my barrels now

FergusonTO35
06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
When I experience leading I always notice accuracy really suffers, sometimes to the point of keyhole strikes. I've always found just looking into the barrel is not the best indicator of leading. Some boolit lubes mixed with powder residue can look like leading, also leading is often confined to one particular part of the barrel. Quite often it builds up in the forcing cone of a revolver and the throat of an autoloader. I would run a patch of scouring pad through it every so often and see what comes out. If you have leading you'll get little slivers of lead.