PDA

View Full Version : Sizing for the strait[sic.]-pull Swiss K-31???

jethrow strait
07-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Anyone getting away with just neck sizing with loads in the 30K or less pressure range?-----or is it just a sometimes thing?

My first month with the K31 has been a bit of an edjumakation sizing-wise. First there was the reforming of the .284 Win brass, a real breeze. Then the resizing of the fired cases, a task more formidable by far than reforming the brass initially. Now, that's a first! Well, presumably that's because most 7.5 Swiss dies are dimensioned to size for the tighter Swiss 1911 chamber, overworking the K31 brass. Add the heavier reformed .284 brass, and you've got a gargantuan task made for a Rock Chucker, all the while having nightmares about triming and short case-life. So, I just got a neck-sizing die.

Lee Collet Die probably would have been the way to go---working the brass less than a traditional neck-sizer. I've got several of them already, and they all work ok after some finessing. But, at the moment it's hot as blazes, and I don't feel like finessing anything. So the fifteen-dollar Hornady that does any 30 cal cartridge was it. Just did up a bunch of twice-fired brass, sizing just 80% of the neck. They work great, but for how long??????? I don't EVER want to go back to fully resizing(let alone buy a special Redding sizing die). Ah, la vida dura, con los suizos!-----jethrow

45 2.1
07-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Partial sizing works well as does neck sizing when useing light loads. In 1911 I like 11.3 gr. of Unique with the RCBS 308-165-SIL. Partial size just enough so that the bolt will close easily on the sized case. Some die sets are tighter than others, I use the RCBS dies myself.

Frank46
07-09-2005, 04:46 AM
I made up a resizing die for the necks of 7.62x54 russian cases out of threaded 7/8x14
screw stock. Its only about 1 1/4" long with a lock ring on it but has worked well for quite a few years. Never hardened it. Maybe you could do the same. Frank

jh45gun
07-09-2005, 08:02 PM
I read that using a couple of washers on the regular sizing die between the lock ring and the press will make your regular dies into neck sizing dies. I have not tried it yet but it sounds feasable. Jim

Maven
07-09-2005, 09:43 PM
After reading the posts on the Swiss Rifles forum, I learned that the straight-pull action doesn't have the camming power of a turn-bolt action and thus doesn't easily chamber neck sized brass. What you can do is adjust your FL sizing die so that it leaves ~1/16" of the neck at the neck-shoulder junction unsized. Cases so sized will chamber easily and be aligned in the [abrupt] K-31 throat.

jethrow strait
07-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Thank you all for the replies.

Maven, I know not why you're words are so true on partial neck-sizing of the K-31, but true they are. I was very much aware of the weak camming power of the straight pull compared to a traditional bolt; that was much of the reason for my asking whether I could get away with repeated lower psi loads and just neck sizing. Figured someone with more experience than moi with the K31, might tell me of their experience, but didn't expect your insightful remark.

Before starting this thread,I had partially neck-sized some fired cases, along the lines you proposed, but leaving more like 1/8" unsized. I was amazed at how they chambered more smoothly than partially sized cases run through a full-length sizing die----and I was hoping to always size em like that. I had just partially neck-sized for better bore alignment, and I certainly didn't expect them to chamber so easily. Doesn't seem at all logical to me, but it's true--------jethrow

Maven
07-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Jethrow, Actually I've had no problems whatsoever with partial neck-sizing in both of my K-31's (or even in my .30-30 lever action). On the Swiss Rifles forum, however, this is definitely a taboo so elemental that it can't even be thought of let alone spoken. I've also discovered that my two 7.5 Swiss FL dies don't size identically: The CH die reduces fired cases more than the Redding, but sized cases (with the 1/16" collar) always chamber in either rifle. Btw, with mid-range loads (no more than 1,800fps with IMR 5010 + grex or powdered bran), I've got as many as 19 firings from the "T Swiss" headstamped brass. With WC 820 and Graf's brass, I expect almost the same longevity.

45 2.1
07-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Reformed 284 Win. cases seem to have the longest life (30 years on some of mine and still going) and it seems to produce the best cast bullet accuracy also. There is quite a difference in accuracy from one manufacturers case to another at times.

Willbird
07-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Is it sizing the body of the case ?? You can borrow a guy with a lathe and open that puppy up. I would use a high speed die grinder and a fine tootsie roll type of polishing bob, then work it back to a mirror finish with finer abrasive.

I have the two earlier versions of the swiss rifles, I have been meaning to reform some 284 brass to shoot in them, I have rcbs dies from many years ago.

Bill

Bob S
07-10-2005, 11:42 PM
For cast loads in my K31's, I load with an old Ideal 310 tool. The sizing chamber is a 30-06 that I shortened slightly, and opened up the base just a bit so the 7.5 cases will go in. That's neck sizing in its purest form. I habitually keep cases segregated into 50-round "lots" identified for a particular rifle, whether I am neck sizing or not, so I have had no difficulties with it in the straight-pulls. I also have an old basic "Lee Loader" in 7.5 x 55. I don't neck size for jacketed bullet loads that are over about 30 KSI.

There seem to be a lot of things given as "gospel" on some of the Swiss boards that you just "can't do" that I have been doing for decades. I guess I just didn't get that memo, so my rifles don't know any better ...

Resp'y,
Bob S.

fiberoptik
07-11-2005, 01:37 AM
For cast loads in my K31's, I load with an old Ideal 310 tool. The sizing chamber is a 30-06 that I shortened slightly, and opened up the base just a bit so the 7.5 cases will go in. That's neck sizing in its purest form. I habitually keep cases segregated into 50-round "lots" identified for a particular rifle, whether I am neck sizing or not, so I have had no difficulties with it in the straight-pulls. I also have an old basic "Lee Loader" in 7.5 x 55. I don't neck size for jacketed bullet loads that are over about 30 KSI.
Resp'y,
Bob S.
I've been looking for an old Lee Loader in 7.5x55. Haven't had any luck. I've been following a number of forums on this, as I haven't picked up any dies yet, and still haven't gotten a press either. I did manage to pick up some used dies for a few of the other .30's I've got, but still missing this one & the 30-40 Krag. I didn't like the cost of the Redding dies that are supposed to better fit the K-31's chamber either. I'm on the list for the group mold, and hoping it likes all my .30's.... This will be my baptism into reloading....I was thinking maybe the Lee Hand Press, since I don't really have a workbench.

Wayne Smith
07-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Fiberoptic

With no bench press I'd look seriously at the hand press Fred Huntington (Huntington Die Specialties) sells. It has the advantage that it can, in some future time, be mounted on a bench, so it is useful both ways. I think, from looking, that you'll get better leverage with it than with the Lee, but I'm not sure.

jh45gun
07-12-2005, 03:39 AM
I get good leverage with my Lee hand Presses . I even sized 284 brass to 7.55 with them. Yea it takes a little muscle but it was not that bad.

fiberoptik
07-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Fiberoptic

With no bench press I'd look seriously at the hand press Fred Huntington (Huntington Die Specialties) sells. It has the advantage that it can, in some future time, be mounted on a bench, so it is useful both ways. I think, from looking, that you'll get better leverage with it than with the Lee, but I'm not sure.
I appreciate the info. It's a bit steep for me right now, what with all the other stuff I need to get. I was leaning toward the Lee, & didn't know anyone else even had a hand press. Maybe if I get the Lee kit with the hand press, and pick up the new monster cast press they have, I'll be set. I like the turret press idea, set up a plate with each caliber die, & be done with it... Maybe wifey will spring for it for my B-day tomorrow.