PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the RCBS Pro-Melt

Lunarphase
06-18-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm trying to get into casting and don't want to purchase equipment and and find I have to repurchase again because it's got issues or is lacking for one reason or another.
I know the RCBS Pro-Melt is a lot more expencive than the Lee 20# but I don't want to deal with the dripping I've heard some of them having, and I like the idea of the more accurate heat dial.
I've got enough set asside to purchase it, is it the right decision?

Thanks for your input.
Lunar

primersp
06-18-2012, 08:52 AM
i have one buy second hand fews years ago ,before i have an lee ,happy with for 15 years ,
if you can find one used ,buy

Grandpas50AE
06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
I've had mine for around 25 years now and it's still going strong and works well. I think it is well worth the money spent.

Lunarphase
06-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Are you guys having any lead dripping problems with it?

Cmemiss
06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Mine has a slight drip, but I think it is from my own lazyness. You can get a drip in any of them depending on your alloy. Having had a Lee I voted for the RCBS with my $$ and never looked back. The difference is pretty notable.

Lunarphase
06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Also, is the heat dial accurate.
I'm wondering if I should buy a lead thermometer to verify it's accuracy, or would I be waisting my money buying one.

VHoward
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
The temp on the dial won't match the temp of the lead. The temp will however be one consistant temp at all lead levels. I had the Lee pot. It was pain in the rear end to use. Constantly dripping and constantly having to adjust the temp depending on the level of lead in it. I then bought the RCBS Pro Melt. It is like night and day difference. Mine does not drip, and I do not have to mess with the dial. I would still get a lead thermometer so you can set the temp where you want it.

Dale53
06-18-2012, 11:02 AM
If you can stand the price, the RCBS is a dandy pot. I have two of them. I bougt one new when they were $100 (about thirty years ago) and found another at an estate sale at a rifle match full of bullet metal for $65.00. I about broke my arm getting my money out. It was like new, also.

I have run hundreds of pounds (probably nearer a ton) of bullets through mine.

There is no doubt that Lee's best pot is a better value, but, I sure do like my RCBS pots.

A little tip for those who have yet to cast much. Do NOT do smelting with your lead pot. Use a turkey fryer with a cast iron or steel pot for smelting. That keeps dirt out of your pot (which inevitably leads to dripping). I bought a small, cheap, Chinese vise grip pliers that I clip onto my lift lever. This stops any dripping that you might have happen with the RCBS pot. It's just an extra bit of weight that insures the lever closes positively.

FWIW
Dale53

Baja_Traveler
06-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Mines also a good 30 years old - and still running strong. Best bottom pour pot there is...

Rockchucker
06-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Finding a used Pro Melt will be slim to none, I bought mine new going on 3 years ago and never looked back. Before that I had a Lee bottom pour and have never regretted selling it. I say :Luvcastboolits:buy it cause it'll probably be the last one you'll ever need.

Mal Paso
06-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Sure RCBS is better built and has a Real Thermostat instead of an "Infinity Switch" but where's the challenge in that? If you haven't noticed, us Lee Owner get a Lot More Forum Mileage from our pots than RCBS Owners. They will never appreciate PID Control like Lee Owners either! Go ahead. Be that lonely caster with few problems. :grin:

Colorado4wheel
06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Pro Melt is a good pot. Temp is steady. Dial is not accurate but it's close enough. Just turn it 50F past the melt point to start with and your good to go most likely from that point on.

David2011
06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Another one here that's 30 years old. I use a thermometer and adjusted the knob so that it's close to what the thermometer says, just for a starting point. It only drips a little.

David

rockrat
06-18-2012, 07:39 PM
I am using two. Both of them have to be set about 50 degrees above what i want the temp to be. I don't cast with my "Mr. Drippy" anymore, just use it for annealing case necks for my 50 cals.

dbarnhart
06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
I can't speak for the Lee 20# pot but I recently upgraded from a Lee 10# bottom pour pot to the RCBS Pro-Melt and it was a world of difference.

dromia
06-19-2012, 12:54 AM
I have two promelts, one new and one second hand and both run champion. Been using the new one for 12 years now and lord alone knows how long the second hand one has been going for.

I've had a few lee pots over the years and they were given away or converted to dipping pots as they are failures as pouring pots.

If I couldn't afford a decent pot like the Pro melt then I'd sooner dip from a cast iron pan on a gas ring then use a Lee pot. It would probably be just as quick as pouring as I wouldn't be spending time constantly fettling everything as I had to do with the Lees to get them to work as advertised.

alfloyd
06-19-2012, 03:32 AM
I have a RCBS Pro Melt I bought about 30 years ago. The only thing that I have needed to replace is the on-off switch. Easy to do and found at Radio Shack.
The temp stays constant. Love it.

Lafaun

Lunarphase
06-19-2012, 08:29 AM
.......buy it cause it'll probably be the last one you'll ever need.

This quote about sums it up, and exactly what I'm looking for. I hate throwing good money after un-needed fix projects. God knows how much money I've waisted over the years trying to buy cheap on what I think is a good deal, sometimes it seems like I'll never learn.
Thanks for all the reviews! :drinks:

Lunar

Hardcast416taylor
06-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I also am in the 30 year owners club. I did find a used pot at an estate sale full of WW alloy for a terrible price of $35! I melted out the lead and cleaned up the pot before giving it to a friend that needed a good pot but was on a pension. A therometer is a good addition to using any pot to get a better idea of the temp. you want and are working with. My pot after all these years and gosh knows how many lbs. of lead thru it has finally got a "one drip a minute" condition that I can live with.Robert

captaint
06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
My Pro Melt is 20 years old. Have really no problems with it. The only time my valve gets funny is if it's dirty and the pot needs to be dumped & cleaned out. Keep the melt clean - don't overheat it, and all will be well. I'd buy mine again. enjoy Mike

Lloyd Smale
06-20-2012, 06:06 AM
ive got two. there great pots.

mold maker
06-20-2012, 09:37 AM
I just bought one at a yard sale for $60. It will replace a Lyman, which replaced a LEE. Each will be kept for a specific purpose. The RCBS will be primary for it's thermostat.

seagiant
06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi MM,
Once you start using the RCBS you'll notice the other pots just sitting under the bench gathering dust!!! Ask me how I know!

hornady
06-20-2012, 10:47 AM
I bought the RCBS pro melt about a year ago. The only problem is how dumb I feel for fighting with the Lee pots all those years. The difference is like night and day, if anything ever happens to the RCBS, I would order another as soon as possible. Pricey yes but to me worth every penny.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
I bought mine in 78 and it has been in continuous use since without any problem of any kind. Always held the temperatures well and no dripping. LLS

Old Caster
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM
The only pot that will hold temperature more accurate than a Pro Melt is a Waage pot but it isn't bottom pour. When it comes to bottom pour I feel that RCBS is king. It is accurate when it comes to keeping the temperature and it has a spout so it is possible to pressure pour. Some pots don't have a spout that will fit up to a mold. -- Bill --

tinsnips
06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
It is like anything else in live you get what you pay for . They work great ,an they work great for a long time. You will be happy for years to come i have been .

trixter
06-21-2012, 06:46 PM
the best

jfischer
06-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I have 2 old sauce 10 pounders that will drip some. I only paid $35 for both so I just live with it.

dbarnhart
06-26-2012, 11:56 PM
. I hate throwing good money after un-needed fix projects. God knows how much money I've waisted over the years trying to buy cheap on what I think is a good deal
Lunar

I hear you. In my case, I started with a Lee 10# pot I bought off another caster. It certainly made me appreciate the ProMelt