PDA

View Full Version : The mfgrs need to listen

Jim
06-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Having been with this bunch for ten years now, I have seen some absolutely brilliant ideas come to light here. Here's ONE EXAMPLE (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=157013).

The manufacturers of the products we use on a daily basis would benefit from keeping their finger on the pulse of this forum and taking a hint from time to time.

WILCO
06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Yep. We've got all the talent in the world right here Jim. Lots of real world experience for sure.

[smilie=s:

429421Cowboy
06-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I have often wondered if the "Smart Guys" at the big companies ever check in here. We have the benifit of several of the top mould makers and other important people right here on this site and we know at least they listen to us :D I was supprised a few years back that Ruger customer service sent a note to a Ruger specific forum i used to be on thanking them for the ideas and comments posted for everybody to see, which made me realise that they are not totally oblivious to sites like these and the ideas that come out of them.

shooter93
06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
The problem is Jim....the big companies after all the time, tooling, set up etc think in terms of selling millions. Somewhere around 20k members here and for a lot of the great ideas it's just not cost effective. It's more of a "cottage" industry which is why the vendors section keeps growing. Big companies could make the things suggested here but I'm sure the cost would shock a lot of people.

Catshooter
06-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Actually, most of the times it's not cost. They most likely wouldn't use our exact method, but come up with a variation that would be cheap.

However, mostly the real problem is the dreaded NIH disease. Not Invented Here. That, and many MBA programs actually teach them to not listen to us. And they deliberatley seperate whatever tiny "quality control" section they have from production. Seriously.

Pity, too.

Cat

facetious
06-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Actually, most of the times it's not cost. They most likely wouldn't use our exact method, but come up with a variation that would be cheap.

However, mostly the real problem is the dreaded NIH disease. Not Invented Here. That, and many MBA programs actually teach them to not listen to us. And they deliberatley seperate whatever tiny "quality control" section they have from production. Seriously.

Pity, too.

Cat

That is why they make them the Boss and pay them the big bucks!! You can do the same job over and over for years and then they will get some new guy who has never had a job that he has had to wash his hands before he can use the restroom and he will have all kinds of new ways for you to do your job that just don't work!

Bret4207
06-19-2012, 05:59 AM
It's more than just manufacturers, this NIH deal. There is a moderately famous gun writer whose referenced with respect here, who used to work for Ruger and whose loads are recommended often who is a complete jerk when it comes to this site because we used the word "boolit". He posts on another site where he's lauded as a King, a site modeled after this one. Weird.

Catshooter
06-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Bret,

There's two of them ijiot 'writers' here. Arrogant, my favorite sort.

Cat

geargnasher
06-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Bret, I agree. I also think the person to whom you refer just got his knickers all in a twist because someone here knows more than he does about how to make revolvers shoot. Observe how few people mention using FWFL or Speed Green on another, similar site whos owner and right-hand man have their own semi-famous commercial formulas. NIH is a disease, but it's human nature, too.

Gear

popper
06-20-2012, 03:18 PM
NIH = job security. Best solution is to write it up, put your boss's name on it and put it in the suggestion box.

Jammer Six
06-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Running a company (I've run at least one most of my adult life) is not always about money. Usually, it's about doing things my way.

If my way happens to agree with what is written on a gun board, then the gun board agrees with me.

If it doesn't, at my company, we do things my way.

btroj
06-20-2012, 09:30 PM
The companies view us as a small portion of the market place. They don't have time to pay attention to every special interest group put there.
If you want custom results then go to a custom maker. It really is that simple.

Most companies make enough money catering to the masses that it isn't even worth looking at specialty markets. Lee and Lyman seem to be doing fine selling moulds as they make them now, why would they change?