PDA

View Full Version : Had a fathers day at the range today

41 mag fan
06-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Went to the range to play with some loads for my 300 Win Mag, and was set up on the 100 yrd lane.
I'd loaded up some 3100, RL 22 & 25 with some hornady 180gr's I wanted to try out.
I'd shot 3 different groups with the 3100 and started on the RL's when a gent came up with his son who was maybe 13, and i'm thinking the boys uncle and aunt.
I was on the center table and they set up on the tables to the left and right.

The guy and his son, had a Moisin- Nagant, and the father shot off a few rounds, and turned it over to his son.....

he was teaching his son how to load and line up the sights and pull the trigger, but I noticed this boy was very polite and a good kid.

So while the boy was shooting, I just waited, letting my barrel cool down was a good excuse for me!, but I was watching the child.

I don't know, but i got a knack after me and the ole battle axe raising our son and daughter, this kid just seemed like a very respectful and good kid.

So while I let him shoot off a few rounds on the Moisin, his dad took back over, and i finished my group tests with the RL, I made a comment to the boy....

I've got left over rounds here I need to shoot, would you like to shoot them for me???
First thing he asked was..what caliber is it, and before he had "it" out was saying sure I'll shoot them!!
I had to laugh, i told him I got some extra very mild rounds....(starting loads for 3100),but i told him, if your dad don't mind, you can shoot them up.

Well anyways I told the boy, if it's ok with your dad, and I asked his father, you mind if he shoots them?

I was using my lead sled with 2 10lbs ingots of lead on it, so I knew the recoil would be minimal.

Father was very polite too, said sure, if you don't mind.

So I loaded up the rounds I had, and set him up on a IL university police target, I had bought at an auction. Used my AR on it, I had brought also. Coached him on safety release, trigger pull, and bang!!

He hit the target in the head!!
there was a dot to left of head I had him aiming for, so he jacked another round in and hit the spot dead on!!
Of course I had to, tell him awesome, good job, ect ect.
So I told him ,your dad don't mind, I got more that needs shot up....he was on it like a chicken on a junebug!

After the last 4 rds I had him shoot up, his uncle told him....well go down and look at the target!! He was off like a bolt of lightning!!

His dad, as nice a person as you could ever meet, thanked me and all, I told him flat out, your boy acts like a good kid, and in all actuality he proved it to me, without a word from his dad about thanking me or anything.
His dad thanked me for the comment, and said, he'll be talking about this all summer and bragging to his friends about it.

Nicest people you could ever meet.
But back comes the boy, I made a comment...as I could see the boys grin....he forgot what he went donw range for!! We all laughed at that!!
But the first thing he said was I shot the target in the head!! I had to laugh....
So i told him...you killed the target huh??!!

And heres what got me...he THANKED me and STUCK OUT HIS HAND AND SHOOK MINE!!

I was almost embarrased I was so happy...how many kids these days are there that would do that to a stranger?? Let alone show gratitude?

But then he asked me about why i bought it, his uncle and dad had been oohhing and awwhhing over it and they all asked what it was.

Everytime I take it to the range, I get the ooohs and awwws...
But it's a gorgeous remington 700 Boone and Crocket.

So anyways i told the kids about buying it to elk hunt someday with my father in Wy, and he asked what it'd kill. I told him everything on this continent and most everything on the African continent.....

So after a few minutes of shooting the breeze with him and enjoying this young mans company, i broke out my AR. Had maybe 20 rds, I wanted to see what my groups were at 100 yrds with my reflex sight.

6 shots later, I turned to the boy and told him...you know, I'm done shooting, but I need these rds shot up, so i got an excuse to reload them.....if your dad don't mind.....all over the june bug again!!!
He told me I never shot a gun like this, so I proceeded to coach him along.
He shot them up, with a big ole grin on his face.

Everyone there thanked, me, uncle and aunt included...and while I was policing up the brass, without a word from the dad, in hops the boy finding what was laying around.

And afterwards I bet i got thanked by the kiddo 15 times....but after shooting the AR, I got a HANDSHAKE again!!

My 6th sense was spot on again, this boy was very respectful, and very grateful towards me. Kinda got that warm feeling in me over it all.

But after packing up and taking off, the boy gave me a wave....which was an end to a good afternoon.

But what made it really nice...is the 22mi ride back home, me and the wife was talking about it, she's never seen me teach kids like that/or I have over the yrs......I seen the old battleaxes evil eye simmer down a tad!!! .....she told me someday that boys liable to own a 300 Win Mag, and the first times he shoots it, he's going to remember some old man on the rifle range that let him shoot his gun.

You know...that thought made my fathers day!!!

as an afterthought...I've had these loads loaded since March, been meaning to get out there to group them, and have always had an excuse....too hot, yard work, need more 223's loaded, gotta float in the pool like a turd...evil eye battleaxe is giving me an evil eye, which means pay attention to her....

But for some reason the good Lord above had me save these loads and put it off till today.....now I know why.

HE wanted to put the icing on the cake of my father day.

Crawdaddy
06-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I went to the range also and sighted in my new to me H & A turn barrel ML. It was a blast.

Your story has mine beat so I will live vicariously through your experience. It made my day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Olevern
06-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Good on you. Feels good to see that great big smile on the face of a youth and know you put it there. Now, go out and find a boy/young man who needs a mentor to come up alongside him and provide what a father should be in terms of emotional support and teaching them integrity, respect and kindness.

They are everywhere, with fathers who are either absent or look at them as an annoyance rather than a blessing.

Develop an ongoing relationship and commit to follow thru into adulthood. Spend time with him and let him see that there is another world view other than the one they have been subjected to.

In so doing you will have changed your world (and his).

41 mag fan
06-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Crawdaddy...it was an experience...thats for sure..I'll live theu it for many of a days to come.

Olevern, i knew you'd see my post.....No way, no how I could ever step into your shoes, nor live up to the image you've created by helping kids. But I did something most people wouldn't dream of doing and that makes me happy

ElDorado
06-17-2012, 08:27 PM
That was neighborly of you. At least the young man was appreciative and respectful, and I’m sure he enjoyed it. It wouldn’t surprise me if he does the same thing 30 or 40 years from now.

Jeff

hardy
06-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Hi all,"I,ll help you down the road and proud to".My sentiments exactly.Cheers and Happy Fathers day.Mike

wgr
06-18-2012, 04:13 AM
i never pass a chance to let a kid shoot. remember teaching mine. first fathers day without him in 28years. the army has him over seas now.

Olevern
06-18-2012, 08:44 AM
i never pass a chance to let a kid shoot. remember teaching mine. first fathers day without him in 28years. the army has him over seas now.

please thank him from us for his service.

lbaize3
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
I have had an experience or two like yours, over the years. But your story tops any that I could relate. Well done and an excellent Father's Day!