PDA

View Full Version : Tire Store Wheel Weight Ratios

762 shooter
06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Just got a free "grab bucket" from a tire store here.

I was shocked at the ratios.

Bucket 16.5 #

2.15# SOWW

7.25# COWW

7.1# Ferrous Junk

Ferrous junk nearing the 50% mark. Beware brothers. The end is near.

Upside is the bucket was free, and I scrounged more than I shot this week!!!!!

Uncle Jimbo
06-15-2012, 07:35 PM
The last bucket of WW I got from my friend that runs the tire store was the same ratio. Only in my area, they are steel. Very few zinc. I just take the steel down to the scrap metal yard and trade for clean lead. Depending on the price, I usually get more lead in weight that the steel I took in.

badbob454
06-15-2012, 08:51 PM
mine is down to 10% coww , and 2% soww , rest is zinc @25% and rest is fe, or the funny steel powder in rubber junk but i take all i can get and sort and use appropriately it takes a couple hours a bucket to sort with confidance 2 hours for 10-12 lbs worth my spare time cause i enjoy it ...

Defcon-One
06-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Your sample is too small! Try a 100 pound bucket!

The East Coast is still mostly Lead. About 95% Lead by weight in my area.

I bought 2-1/2 - 5 gallon buckets, 269 pounds total, on Thursday. $40.00 for all.

Contents were:

100 pounds of large Lead clip-on truck weigts (10-16 oz. ea.)
120 pounds of Lead clip-on WW
40 pounds of Lead stick-on WW
7 pounds steel weights
2 pounds zinc weight

imashooter2: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a Democrat run state. Like California, Maryland and the rest they are eliminating Lead based on its "Toxicity". So, I am not surprised that you can't find lead wheel weights there.

I am originally from Gladwyne, PA and left many years ago (1980's) to move to Virginia, a great state, at least for now. I'd never go back to PA, lead or no lead.

imashooter2
06-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Here in the Philadelphia suburbs we get maybe 25 - 30% lead. The rest mostly steel with a bit of zinc. After you take out the clips, you get "not worth buying."

zomby woof
06-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Friend brought over half a bucket from a car dealer. It was 50%junk.

mac1911
06-16-2012, 08:17 AM
I noted this a while back, more so the reduction of zinc wheel weights. My small shop does about 20 tires a month. not only have the zinc reduced the iron have gone up to take its place. Also with the new balancers even less weight is going on the wheels to boot which means less is comeing off!!!
Before we got the newest balancer HUNTER ROAD FORCE we averaged about 3.5 oz per tire
the new machine we are seldom putting more than 1.5oz per tire. Only the biggest cheapest rim and tire combos are getting more weight.
on average after the junk is removed is 3 lbs from my work. its something. All other sources are all but gone.

imashooter2
06-16-2012, 08:28 AM

I bought 2-1/2 - 5 gallon buckets, 269 pounds total, on Thursday. $40.00 for all.

Contents were:

100 pounds of large Lead clip-on truck weigts (10-16 oz. ea.)
120 pounds of Lead clip-on WW
40 pounds of Lead stick-on WW
7 pounds steel weights
2 pounds zinc weight

imashooter2: Philadelphia is in Pennsylvania, a Democrat run state. Like California, Maryland and the rest they are eliminating Lead based on its "Toxicity". So, I am not surprised that you can't find lead wheel weights.

I am originally from Gladwyne, PA and left many years ago (1980) to move to Virginia, a great state to live in, at least for now. I'd never go back, lead or no lead.

Philadelphia is East Coast. PA has no lead WW laws. What we do have is a population center that provides for a lot of turn over in the WW supply.

Manufacturers are not going to keep 2 lines open to make lead WW for a few and non lead for the rest. They are going to make and distribute 1 weight they can sell to anyone and that weight is not going to be lead.

I didn't doubt your numbers, I only pointed out that your broad statement about East Coast ratios was not entirely accurate. Enjoy your prosperity while it lasts.

Defcon-One
06-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Philadelphia is East Coast. PA has no lead WW laws. What we do have is a population center that provides for a lot of turn over in the WW supply.

Manufacturers are not going to keep 2 lines open to make lead WW for a few and non lead for the rest. They are going to make and distribute 1 weight they can sell to anyone and that weight is not going to be lead.

I didn't doubt your numbers, I only pointed out that your broad statement about East Coast ratios was not entirely accurate. Enjoy your prosperity while it lasts.

Corrected to read, "SOUTHERN EAST COAST" or better yet "VIRGINIA"!

I know that I am lucky to have the sources that I do and I realize that they may go at any time and they probably will! Maybe all of your lead ones are flowing South? I will stock-up accordingly.

DarthTater
06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I picked up a 5 gallon bucket from my buddy at the tire store here in Boise on Thursday afternoon. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and so far it's about:

15% steel
45% clip on
40% stick on
about 25 zinc or mystery metal pieces

He actually apologized for there being so much "more" steel this time. Seeing as I get this stuff for free, I told him that he shouldn't be apologizing for anything!

This round there was a lot more stick ons than normal. That's fine with me - I shoot round and minie balls, too. And normally there is more zinc than this time. Also, Idaho has no wheel weight laws, although the market isn't big enough here to have much of an effect on the wheel weight market overall.

jfischer
06-16-2012, 05:35 PM
So does is anybody selling their zinc ww to the skipper.

fredj338
06-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Location will see quite a bit of diff in lead content. In Kalif, 20% would be good if you can even find them. Thank a liberal Dem for it, they are the ones driving the lead ww ban. COllect what you can where you can & stack it deep, it's not going to get easier or cheaper to find going forward.