PDA

View Full Version : Old Men Can Flinch!!!

Rex
06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
I have a little 4" L fame Smith that I have shot for years. I liked a load that would slap my hand and jump a bit. Had no use for a weak round at all. Suddenly last month the shooting went South. I blamed a slight tremmor starting in my hands and 70 year old eyes and put the shooter up for a few weeks. Today was fairly calm so I put my 5" swing plate up at 25 yards and the first two shots missed again just like before then it dawned on me that I had seen the front sight lift high at the shot. Filled the last 4 holes with the old standard 158 grain lead bullet and 3.5 grains Bullseye, had a long talk with myself and concentrated on the front sight and the trigger mash. MY-O-MY, what a difference. Guess I will have to start all over with the light loads until I learn how to shoot again.

rexherring
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I find myself doing that too. So, I sometimes load 4 random chambers, look away and spin the cylinder, close it and shoot. Man do I see my flinch when I hit an empty chamber.

fecmech
06-15-2012, 03:37 PM
I have been fighting a flinch big time over the past few years(I'm 69). I think all those years of .44 mags and .357 mags going off in my face has taken a toll. I think my brain has decided it has seen heard and felt enough drama in front of my face and decided it won't allow the trigger pull. About all I shoot anymore are standard .38 spl service loads and some .45 acp target loads but it is a chore fighting my brain to pull the trigger. I'm not going to stop shooting or go to a rimfire. One way or another my brain and I are going to have to work this out!

rexherring
06-15-2012, 04:05 PM
By the way REX, good name!!!!!!

square butte
06-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I think the nervous system changes over time and with age, health and circumstance. Some things seem to jangle me a bit more than they did when I was younger.

Bob Krack
06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
As a child, falling off a bicycle causes absolutely no ingrained fear. No real trepidation.

As we age, that feeling and belief begins to falter.

Bob

Rex
06-15-2012, 05:28 PM
rexherring
you head down to Neb. , Paxton, and I'll treat you to a steak and tall cool at Ole's.
Us Rexs got to stick together.

TCLouis
06-16-2012, 01:44 PM
I find I can flinch shooting 38 Spl and wadcutters and never bat an eye at warmish 300 grainers outa the Super Redhawk.

Same with rifles

41 mag fan
06-16-2012, 02:03 PM
As a child, falling off a bicycle causes absolutely no ingrained fear. No real trepidation.

As we age, that feeling and belief begins to falter.

Bob

Sadly..it's called realizing we're not invincible

Rex
06-16-2012, 03:55 PM
That 3.5 grain of Bullseye made a difference. Went out today, set up at 25 yards and the first two shots went to the spot I wanted. Stoped and went home to let that picture sink into the old brain until tomorrow.

Cherokee
06-17-2012, 01:06 PM
I am now having the same problem with my 1911's, not so much with the revolvers. I have to really focus and still flinch sometimes. 71 yo and eyes weak.

Longwood
06-17-2012, 01:30 PM
It helps to have a couple of good friends behind you that are kind enough to point the flinching out to you.

"Bwahahaha,,, did you see that flinch."

"Oh yeah,,,, Sure did!" Loud enough for the entire shooting line to hear.
More chuckling,,,

41 mag fan
06-17-2012, 04:27 PM
I am now having the same problem with my 1911's, not so much with the revolvers. I have to really focus and still flinch sometimes. 71 yo and eyes weak.

This should read 71 yrs young not yo.

71's not that old, it menas you're more mellow and like to take naps more!!

1Shirt
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
It never hurts to go back to basics regardless of how old you are!
1Shirt!