PDA

View Full Version : Big boolit

hardy
06-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi all,I,m in the process of finding a good(accurate,cheap and easy) load for my SMLE.It slugs at .306"/.316".Fired case I/D is .320".Got a sizer marked .318",just right thinks I,BUT it drops boolits@ .319".Am I too near the oft quoted" one thou neck clearance?I understand" Try It And See" but Long story short,How big oversize have you loaded (with Clearance) AND did they leadup the bore?Appreciate your stories.Be safe.Mike

Chicken Thief
06-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I have stuffed a .515" pure lead boolit down a .500" bore with BP and no leading what so ever.
Leading "only" occurs when the slugs are to small and gas blowby appears.

35remington
06-15-2012, 11:43 AM
No, you're not too near.

The case, when fired, expands to its maximum diameter allowed by the chamber and then springs back to a smaller size, which you are measuring now.

So actual ID is larger than your measurement when the case is under pressure. Load a few rounds with a .319" bullet and check for easy, resistance free chambering. If no resistance is felt, you are fine.

I have used bullets up to the limit the case will accept without sizing (firm friction fit) with no issues. For example, in my 35 Remington Marlins, I use up to a .362" bullet.

No leading.