PDA

View Full Version : ? about lube and results from range

Possum
04-23-2007, 06:58 PM
I am shooting a 44 Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 barrel. I shot a 429421 Lyman bullet over 18gr of 2400 Sat and it grouped well except it left a little leading in the last 1.25" of the barrel. Am I to assume from this that the lube is giving out on the last inches of the barrel?

I am asking a GENERAL question here. I know some of the answers could be about the barrel being rough, too tight, etc.... but generally...what is the cause of end of the barrel leading?

lovedogs
04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Generally speaking I'd guess your lube isn't holding up. What kind of lube are you using? In my limited experience a too small diameter bullet will lead full-length of bbl., same if pushed too fast for alloy, or use of wrong alloy. The bullet you're using should hold plenty of lube so I'd guess you need another lube.

Possum
04-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I was using a 50/50 lube, but now I am going to try some BAC. I am pushing the bullet around 1158fps I believe. It is not undersized. My throats measure .4305 and the barrel is .4295. The bullets are sized to .431 and are giving the best grouping of anything I have tried so far.

I think the lube is from White Label lube ..? The 50/50 worked great in my other loads (pistols), but like I said, if it groups so good at .431 with this pistol I might try to change the lube and see what happens.

garandsrus
04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Possum,

I use Lars BAC lube quite a bit and like it very much... I use it in both pistols and rifles.

John

Char-Gar
04-23-2007, 10:45 PM
The answer to your general question is you are correct. Leading near the muzzle is most often an indicator of running out of lube.

That said, I can't imagine that bullet, running out of that lube, in that length of barrel. That should not be happening.

It is a common problem with Ruger handguns to find heat scale on the inside of the barrel near the muzzle. This happens when the front sight is soldered on and proper care is not taken to prevent this from forming.

I have had to send three Ruger sixgun back to the factory with this problem. They gladly replace the barrel and pay shipping both ways.

This heat scale looks for all in the world like leading. It is a greyish rough area, and tends to be heavier on the top side of the barrel under the sight ramp. If you can't clean it out, that is what it is.

If, it won't clean out call the Ruger service department and tell them you have heat scale in the front of the barrel. They will send you a pre-paid mailing label to send it back to them. The turn around time is quick.

Possum
04-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will take a close look at it tonight. If the BAC doesn't rectify the situation, I will look at the other suggestions. What a wealth of knowlege this forum has!

45r
04-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Been using lars carnuba red in my rugers and no leading at all.Shot lots of 1 and a half inch groups out of my 41 bisley using 19.0 grains 4227 under 255GC OGF mtn mold at 50 yards.My 45 redhawk shoots 2 and a half inch groups iron sights at the same distance with 9.5 power pistol under a 270 saa rcbs PB and no leading at all.Have gotten good results with moly lubes also but lars carnuba red is less messy and priced much lower than commercial brands.Hasn't been as good with 357 PB boolits.might add a little moly grease to it and see if that works better someday.Some of my old boolits I lubed with a blue angel,moly sta-lube grease mix shoot more accurate with PB boolits,especially in cold weather.The carnuba red leaves my bores in the shiney black no leading state so well in my rugers I don't have to clean them.I'm so happy with the 41 mag performance that I'm getting real attached to that bisley.The 2 power scope on top helps a lot also.

44man
04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
If there is some scale at the muzzle, I would just fire lap it.

Char-Gar
04-24-2007, 05:12 PM
44.... Now why would a person "fire lap" a barrel with heat scale, when the pistol is under warrantee and the barrel will be replaced at no cost?

If you fire lap, you will change all of the critical dimension in the cylinder and barrel to remove a manufacturing defect that will be corrected for free.

No matter how much you lap, that barrel will never be right. The scale is not only on the metal, it is in the metal as well.

You will pardon me if I dissent from the fire lap solution... it makes no sense to me. .. no sense at all.