PDA

View Full Version : scrap zinc selling

jfischer
06-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Has anybody sold scrap zinc ww and what did you get for them?

Powellcole5490
06-15-2012, 09:30 AM
I spoke with a recycler here in town and he was going to pay me $0.07 per pound for my left over zinc and steel wheel weights. But the good news is I was able to talk him into selling me lead wheel weights for $0.60 per pound. I figured that was a pretty good deal since I was getting only lead WWs.

evan price
06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
They go as "irony die cast" officially. Not much $ but more than sheet metal. I don't get enough to bother with, so they get skimmed off and all go in the slag bucket with the clips and iron weights and get dumped with the sheet metal.

dRok
06-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I throw all my steelies and zincies in a 5gal and haul them to the recycler when I get a couple buckets full. They guys working there are min wage youngsters and I sell them to them as wheel weights (thats what they are after all). They give me standard price, last I checked was about .25/lb.

jfischer
06-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Well 25 cents a pound is better than throwing away.

sig2009
06-19-2012, 09:17 AM
I got $21 for 71 lbs zinc stick on weights yesterday from the scrap yard.

Longwood
06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I am going to ask, next time I am there, if ingots would get more.

dRok
06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
I dont know much about the scrap business but Id think lead contaminated zinc ingots would probably sell for less than plain zinc weights. Even if you are careful and dont get lead in the zinc, how would they prove it without expensive testing? Prolly just like Lino, better leaving it original when trying to sell it.

mold maker
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Zinc COWW already are contaminated with the clips. When in ingot form, those that know, pay top price.
If you want top price for any scrap it must be completely separated. The clips and Fe weights go together.
Range scrap jackets are #2 copper, if only a tiny bit of lead remains. Too much lead cuts the value badly.
Instead of selling your scrap, try to trade it for lead. This usually works to your favor.

badbob454
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
i put mine in ingot form sold them for $1.00 - $2.00 per pound. i however, double checked no lead in it it can be sold as die casting zinc

sig2009
06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Zinc COWW already are contaminated with the clips. When in ingot form, those that know, pay top price.
If you want top price for any scrap it must be completely separated. The clips and Fe weights go together.
Range scrap jackets are #2 copper, if only a tiny bit of lead remains. Too much lead cuts the value badly.
Instead of selling your scrap, try to trade it for lead. This usually works to your favor.

One of the recyclers in my area will not take scrap jackets because they are contaminated with lead.

Also another one will not take range scrap lead because the copper jackets are mixed in!

ssnow
06-19-2012, 08:16 PM
I throw all my steelies and zincies in a 5gal and haul them to the recycler when I get a couple buckets full. They guys working there are min wage youngsters and I sell them to them as wheel weights (thats what they are after all). They give me standard price, last I checked was about .25/lb.

Why settle for stealing a few cents per pound, when you could clean out the place with a gun and a mask. Of course, with this method, you do run the risk of being shot. But being shot is not all bad, after all, you get free lead :)

mrbillbus
06-19-2012, 11:19 PM
I am going to ask, next time I am there, if ingots would get more.

I smelted some down and sold them to the scrap yard. They graded it as clean die cast and gave me .30 a pound. I could have sold them whole for .25 at my other yard. Waste of propane but a lesson learned.

Bill

Old Ironsights
06-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I use them for round balls for my slingshot(s).

Waste not, want not. Get lots of slingshot ammo.

dRok
06-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Why settle for stealing a few cents per pound, when you could clean out the place with a gun and a mask. Of course, with this method, you do run the risk of being shot. But being shot is not all bad, after all, you get free lead :)

Not sure what you mean by this, all I do is sell WW as WW, thats what they are after all and ZN is worth as much as lead anyway...

waksupi
06-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Considering many scrap places pay a higher price for zinc than lead, I don't see a problem.

jfischer
06-21-2012, 08:49 AM
So what is the going price for the zinc. I have mine separated by toww and coww.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-21-2012, 09:02 AM
I use them for round balls for my slingshot(s).

Waste not, want not. Get lots of slingshot ammo.

Hey, I like this idea !
Jon