PDA

View Full Version : Today is Flag day!

1Shirt
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
I find it interesting that in my neighboorhood, there is only about one flag for every 15-20 houses. Same thing in a couple of other neighboorhoods that I drove thru. See more on Memorial Day and the 4th of July, and only about the same number on Vetrans day. We need another George M. Cohan, and his type of patriotism to stimulate this country!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

rexherring
06-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Sad for sure. It's even hard to get someone to stand for a color guard at a parade or give proper hand over heart at the Pledge.

Our local Boy Scouts along with the American Legion members are performing a proper flag retirement for old worn flags tonight. We usually get 100 to 150 flags to be disposed of properly.

XBT
06-14-2012, 06:37 PM
My view on this, which is probably a minority view here, is as follows;

I was born in 1942, grew up on a farm in a rural area in Utah. I was as patriotic as anyone. Served four years in the navy and worked for the army until I retired.

Being seventy years old now, I have seen many changes in this country, most of which I do not like. I have seen government at all levels, but especially the federal government slowly take more and more control of peoples lives until now we have very little freedom left.

I am no longer patriotic, I’m just an old man thinking of how things used to be and wondering how it all went so wrong.

larryp
06-14-2012, 09:27 PM
It's also the US Army's Birthday. The Continental Army was established on 14 June,1775 making it actually one year older than our country itself!

rexherring
06-15-2012, 01:41 PM
My view on this, which is probably a minority view here, is as follows;

I was born in 1942, grew up on a farm in a rural area in Utah. I was as patriotic as anyone. Served four years in the navy and worked for the army until I retired.

Being seventy years old now, I have seen many changes in this country, most of which I do not like. I have seen government at all levels, but especially the federal government slowly take more and more control of peoples lives until now we have very little freedom left.

I am no longer patriotic, I’m just an old man thinking of how things used to be and wondering how it all went so wrong.

I understand your point of view. I respect our flag and what it represents, our for-fathers who founded and died for our country. NOT our government!! I have very little respect for them anymore. I will always salute the flag, not the government.

mold maker
06-15-2012, 02:40 PM
I understand your point of view. I respect our flag and what it represents, our for-fathers who founded and died for our country. NOT our government!! I have very little respect for them anymore. I will always salute the flag, not the government.

I too was born in "42, and as Red White an Blue as any. It disturbs me that the country I love, has so drastically changed, for those I leave it to.
Many of the Freedoms, my forefathers fought and died for, will be but a foot note in history. :cry:

steg
06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Same here Shirt, 20 homes 3 flags! +1 with rexherring and moldmaker.

jlm223
06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I for one will have to apologize, I always try to put my flag out, I did not do it for Flag Day, had been working ten hour days, I leave the house around 4:30 AM, completely forgot about it.