PDA

View Full Version : rcbs 9mm mold/leading badly/ part 2

rp85
06-13-2012, 06:37 PM
hello;

thanks for all input to my first question.

never had leading issues with cast bullets with the alloy i used for cast bullets in the past.

now have a leading issue. these 9mm bullets are made of an unknow alloy, purchased at an estate sale.

today used a lube that worked with cast bullets in 30/30 and 308win. also used a "thick" coat of lla/jpw. fired @40 bullets with each lube. still got bad leading,
from back to front of barrel. using 3.5 grains of bullseye. very, very accurate load.

bullets were lubed and sized bullets to .357", as in the past.

if the alloy, (the bullets) are too "soft", even with a good lube, is leading possible???

there is a metal container that fruit cakes come in at x'mas tme. got 6 of these containers full with 9mm bullets from estate sale. so we have lots of 9mm bullets of an unknown alloy.

thanks for any input.

rp

TheBigBang
06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Yes, if the alloy is too soft leading is possible even with good lube. The problem with unknown alloys is you just don't know what the hell is in 'em you may have zinc contamination or something. You don't know if the guy who cast those things had a clue what he was doing!

Calamity Jake
06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Go to a slower powder Unique, ACC #5 or #7 or maybe Green Dot

What gun are you shooting them in?

MtGun44
06-13-2012, 11:39 PM
"even with a good lube" - sorry to break it to you but LLA is not a good lube. It is marginal
at best, and 9mm stresses it up a lot. Some succeed, many fail with LLA system and 9mm.

Try a real lube, we have LOTs of folks that cannot make the LLA system work in 9mm,
and problem goes away when they switch to 356-120-TC with NRA 50-50 or LBT soft blue
or equivalent conventional lube. I know that tumble lubing is attractive to the newbie due
to low equipment costs, but it just does not have much margin - easily overloaded. I
think your alloy fell out of the 'sweet spot' where LLA systems can work satisfactorily, but
with very little margin for changes.

Bill