PDA

View Full Version : First time shooter today at Olevern's

Olevern
06-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Got Z (10 y.o) out to the house to shoot today, his very first time shooting any firearm. He did pretty well, although I had him shoot from a rest and at pretty close range. Three .22 LR rifles, two .22 LR pistols and one Ruger vacarito (.32 H&R mag). He really enjoyed himself and wanted to know when we can do this again.

Took pics home to his mom and dad, stopped for some lunch, watched him ride the XR-70 I left him in his yard for awhile and then came home.

Great day.

Jim
06-11-2012, 09:36 PM
That last one is THE picture!

Good job, Vern!

Jailer
06-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Very nice.

My 12 year old nephew is my range buddy.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-11-2012, 10:14 PM
very nice, good to see we need all the young shooters we can get, but where are his safety glasses

range master habit

i got hit by 2 ricochets Saturday running the air rifle silhouette range

i also ran across a bolt 22 that spatters oil in the shooter eye , bolt got over oiled at some point no fun

everybody needs safety glasses

Mk42gunner
06-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Better to start at close range and have success hitting the target, than to start at long range and have him get discouraged because he isn't getting hits.

One other nit to pick, have him put his left thumb alongside the pistol, not across the back. Other designs of bottom feeders (cough Walther PPKs cough) can leave railroad tracks.

Robert

06-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Better to start at close range and have success hitting the target, than to start at long range and have him get discouraged because he isn't getting hits.

Robert

Now you can build on that success. Great job.

Leslie Sapp
06-12-2012, 06:44 AM
The big smile says it all!

EMC45
06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
What part of NJ? I grew up in NJ and was fascinated by guns since a young age. The common attitude was guns were bad bad bad! I thank God I had an uncle who was a gun crank/reloader. Despite the Gestapo type attitude towards guns in NJ I actually started shooting at 6yo. I left 2 weeks after HS graduation though[smilie=p: Best thing I ever did!

P.S. Great job with the boy. You could see that smile from orbit!

Olevern
06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
What part of NJ? I grew up in NJ and was fascinated by guns since a young age. The common attitude was guns were bad bad bad! I thank God I had an uncle who was a gun crank/reloader. Despite the Gestapo type attitude towards guns in NJ I actually started shooting at 6yo. I left 2 weeks after HS graduation though[smilie=p: Best thing I ever did!

P.S. Great job with the boy. You could see that smile from orbit!

EMC45,
not in NJ anymore, the tag is left over from when I retired from L.E. and moved up to the beautiful mountains of Pa. Haven't gotten that particular street bike relicensed in Pa. as I have two other (newer) bikes I ride, a Harley and a smaller suzuki gs550L. One of these days I will get that GS1100 back on the road, all it needs is a starter button and a new battery to run, just too busy with work and the kids I mentor to take care of it.

Olevern
06-12-2012, 02:00 PM

One other nit to pick, have him put his left thumb alongside the pistol, not across the back. Other designs of bottom feeders (cough Walther PPKs cough) can leave railroad tracks.

Robert

Robert,
I prompted Zack several times to put his left thumb alongside and not wrapped around. When I snapped that particular pic., he had again placed it incorrectly, but I was able to prompt him before he shot. By the end of the session he was remembering proper grip and, fortunately did not suffer the slide encountering his flesh.

smoked turkey
06-12-2012, 09:09 PM
yep, that last picture says it all. Very nice of you to introduce the little man to this great hobby. From what you said I think there will be a next time. Good on you olevern.

WILCO
06-13-2012, 12:48 AM
but where are his safety glasses?

My thoughts too.

EMC45
06-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Oh yes, the mountains of PA! I lived in the north west cornrer of NJ so the PA mountains were almost in walking distance. Spent a good bit of time camping in the Poconos, and up aroud the Delaware Water Gap and Lehigh Valley. Beatiful country up there!

Olevern
06-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Oh yes, the mountains of PA! I lived in the north west cornrer of NJ so the PA mountains were almost in walking distance. Spent a good bit of time camping in the Poconos, and up aroud the Delaware Water Gap and Lehigh Valley. Beatiful country up there!

EMC45,
we are not in the Poconos, but right up against the NY border roughly half way across the state east to west, in the Allegheny mountains. I am familiar with the Poconos and they are nice but getting pretty built up now...we're somewhat more isolated; it's seventy five miles to the nearest mall....I love it here.