PDA

View Full Version : WC 852 in the .358 Win.

waksupi
04-22-2007, 10:47 PM
I took some time out for shooting yesterday, with good results. Using the Bator design 225 gr bullet, actual weight 237 from my mold, I started in with the WC 852. The bulllets are GC design, and lube is FWFL. These were water dropped. Barrel twist, 1-14.
After getting a few different loads down range, I was up to almost a full case, having to settle the charge by tapping the tray to make room for the bullet. I ended up with 49.5 grains. This is a compressed load. I would need to use a drop tube to shove anymore powder in.
Anyway, this load shot a nice round group, at 1.10 inches, for five shots. I was only using five shot groups, instead of the usual ten, as I was still chasing the load, and didn't want too many loaded if it didn't work well.
I didn';t chrony these, but they felt like they were cooking right down the range. It will be a few wekends before I have time to check thier speed.
I then went to WC 852(F), to see what would develop. And I still don't know. I started at 44 gr., that being three grains over what I was using for the 277 gr. Bators. I got ONE (1!) bullet on paper, out of four different loadings! So, I checked the bore, and could feel hard fouling about six inches from the muzzle. No serious leading, but definitely a dry bore. So, I will try some air cooled bullets, to see if they will work with this powder.
Also put my new fowler together yesterday to shoot. Not done with all the cosmetics, but competition season starts next weekend, and I had to see what it would do. Pretty good, actually.