PDA

View Full Version : Monotype/Linotype Question

wilded
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Being a long time shooter and short time cast boolit maker I am not sure of the content of certain metals etc. What exactly are linotype and monotype made of and how do I tell one from another? I ran across some of this stuff and did not know if I should buy it or not. Thanks, ET :bigsmyl2:

btroj
06-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Always buy type metal if price seems reasonable.
My understanding is that Linotype is generally a line of letters cast in a single line. Monotype is individual letters on separate blocks.

Monotype is generally higher in tin and antimony content. Used type is variable as you don't know what metals may have been oxidized out over time.

bumpo628
06-11-2012, 12:32 PM
The book values are as follows:
Lino - 4% tin, 12% antimony, 84% lead
Mono - 9% tin, 19% antimony, 72% lead

As mentioned above, the actual values could be lower. Assuming you're working with the book values is fine for our purposes.

Defcon-One
06-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Linotype is shiny strips about 1/8" thick by 1" by 3-6" long. They often have lines of type on them. (ie. Lino = Lines)

Here's a pick (Click on it to enlarge!):

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_178454e3b599384c3a.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1703)

Monotype is harder yet and is typically individual letters, one per peice. (ie. Mono = One)

I do not have a pic of Monotype, but it always seems to be dark grey and blocky looking. Maybe the alloy, maybe the ink?

wilded
06-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys, I'm learning. ET

David2011
06-15-2012, 03:47 PM
The monotype I have is all small, very bright pieces. It sat in Houston's humidity for 30 years without turning dark but there's no ink on it, either. I'll post a picture when I can. Just a half pound of monotype in 20 pounds of WW makes it cast much nicer.

David

evan price
06-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Individual letters and symbols are usually monotype. There will be a little nick cast into the side. If the nick is rounded it is "supposedly" monotype alloy. If the nick is square it is "supposedly" foundry type alloy, even harder than monotype.
I see monotype with BHN around 30 quite often.

meeesterpaul
01-15-2014, 02:55 AM
I have some scans of different types posted on this site. The fonts (as the printers call their different letterpress types) come in a fairly wide range of ratios. Some of the spacers (slugs) are soft because they don't have to be durable. Sometime they have a dose of Sb but no Sn. I trust the scanner more than I trust my eye.
Check my posts for some photos of the scanner readouts.

Certaindeaf
01-15-2014, 05:03 AM
It seems like you know how to spell acceptably well.. put that into a search engine and derive great joy. perhaps