PDA

View Full Version : Gun Club Job Descriptions & Responsibilities

Uncle Grinch
04-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I am looking for some job descriptions and responsibilites for our club officers and staff. This would include the President (myself), Vice President, Secretary/Treasurer, Chief Range Officer and Match Directors.

Most of use have been doing the work for many years, but I would like to add some structure to our organization. I have a copy of the NRA Range Manual ordered and have searched their web site, but nothing stands out.

Any ideas on where I can find this info?

Buckshot
04-22-2007, 09:58 PM
...............I'd think that the number of positions and their name would tie in with how large your membership is, how large the range is and the scope of activities there are available. Also attendance at these various activities.

Our club Inland Fish & Game: www.inlandfishandgame.com

Basicly there is a board of directors with the usual officers, ie: President, sec-treas etc. There are 2 rangemasters for the rifle-pistol range that split the 7 days. The shotgun side has trap, skeet, and sporting clays. They have a rangemaster, but I believe they utilize volunteers for the sporting clays because it's so far away down the line.

For the rifle/pistol side the activities are:

Regular range days, there is the regular paid rangemaster.

Silhuette, used to be much bigger and once a month the range was closed to the public for a weekend. They had their own rangemaster. Now it's one day and half the range, and the regular rangemaster calls the line.

Benchrest 22RF. They have the top 10 tables for their match and the regular rangemaster calls the line.

Cowboy Action: Their own timers but the regular rangemaster calls the line.

Reduced range BPCR 'Buffalo' shoot: They have their own timer but the regular rangemaster calls the line.

..................Buckshot

MT Gianni
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Regular range days; if you are a paid member for the year you use your combination to get in. If you see someone else it must be within a month or two of hunting season. Gianni

sundog
04-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Your bylaws should delineate many of the responsibilities. Your policy manual should also further identify what the positions do. One thing that I will make perfectly clear is that if you are an officer or event chairman [of any organization] you should have an umbrella policy on yourself. That is for your own protection. If you can't afford it, and it's not all that much compared to the dollars we spend for our toys, go back to being a regular member. If you need to be invovled, get an umbrella policy. Club insurance is for the club. You do have insurance for the club? Right?

That said, everything that happens has to be directed toward member services. The club I belong to is wholly owned, not for profit. We got a few bucks in the bank, but whatever comes in, minus expenses, is turned around back to the members in some form. That's what the officers have to contend with. Member service. Everything from making sure the toilet in the clubhouse flushes to the traps throwing birds correctly, and backboards on the rifle range that are not all blowed over. Otherwise, there's no reason to exist. Else, get your own land and build your own [private] range.

Be careful of adding too much structure. Too much structure could mean to much record keeping. Are you incorporated? Do you have a defined tax status? These things will help delineate procedures.

Maven
04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
UG, You may want to look at my club's website (below). Once there, scroll down to "View Our ByLaws" and then look at Article IV, "Duties of Officers."

http://marbletownsportsmensclub.com/Home.html

Uncle Grinch
04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Your bylaws should delineate many of the responsibilities. Your policy manual should also further identify what the positions do. One thing that I will make perfectly clear is that if you are an officer or event chairman [of any organization] you should have an umbrella policy on yourself. That is for your own protection. If you can't afford it, and it's not all that much compared to the dollars we spend for our toys, go back to being a regular member. If you need to be invovled, get an umbrella policy. Club insurance is for the club. You do have insurance for the club? Right?

That said, everything that happens has to be directed toward member services. The club I belong to is wholly owned, not for profit. We got a few bucks in the bank, but whatever comes in, minus expenses, is turned around back to the members in some form. That's what the officers have to contend with. Member service. Everything from making sure the toilet in the clubhouse flushes to the traps throwing birds correctly, and backboards on the rifle range that are not all blowed over. Otherwise, there's no reason to exist. Else, get your own land and build your own [private] range.

Be careful of adding too much structure. Too much structure could mean to much record keeping. Are you incorporated? Do you have a defined tax status? These things will help delineate procedures.

Sundog,

Our club is incorporated and is a non-profit organization. We have a full time sec/treas who handles the legal stuff, along with our financial statements and taxes. Our By-Laws and Constitution define how the club is set up, how the officers are elected, how the dues are structured and some very basic responsibilities. We do have insurance for the corporation along with another policy for the officers liability.

Under my tenure, I have brought the membership up from less than 60, five plus years ago, to over 250. This has required soliciting qualified members to be Range Officers and Match Directors. We have sent several to various NRA instructor classes so we can have some depth in their responsibilities.

While they are doing a good job, I feel they would be more effective if their responsibilities were defined in black and white. They are supportive of this and are participating in this endeavour.

My NRA Range Manual arrived today and while it contains quite a bit of range set-up and logistical material, I have not found any job descriptions yet.

I will visit the sites referenced and seee if I can learn from others.

Thanks for your input...

GSM
04-24-2007, 01:08 AM
If your range has a combination of casual and competitive shooters, be ready for some potential divisiveness - us versus them crap (and I mean crap).

Write your Articles of Incorporation very carefully (simple and succinctly) - consult State Law as much as possible, especially with respect to what a non-profit can and cannot do. It can be a little confusing since you may have to deal with both Federal and State level requirements. Hire (or recruit a member) lawyer. Don't look at what you want the club to be today or the next 5 years, look farther beyond that.

If you stay with volunteers for Officer positions and your membership rises beyond about 50, look at having a separate position for Secretary (doing meeting minutes and membership roll, renewal keys, etc.), and a Treasurer (routine income, membership dues, etc.).

If there is even a remote chance of a potential rift between types of range users, look at splitting Officer and Director terms: all serve 2 year terms, but only 1/2 of the BOD could be changed as the result of one election.

We went to 2 year terms several years ago to avoid this and because it can take a while for someone to learn the ropes of their position.

Our Club has approximately 400 members, 6 Officers, and 6 Directors. The President makes annual committee assignments initially with O&D's who then recruit other members for assistance.