PDA

View Full Version : Hands only CPR

crabo
06-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Something we all should know. 1 minute 45 seconds long

http://www.ktla.com/news/nationworld/sns-viral-video-british-cpa-psa%2c0%2c3661285.htmlstory

runfiverun
06-11-2012, 12:01 AM
this is recommended for people that aren't breathing also.

smokeywolf
06-11-2012, 01:51 AM
2 1/2 years ago my mother, who my wife and I had been caring for, went into full arrest.
While I administered CPR my wife called 911. The operator advised me to just perform the chest compressions, don't do the respirations.
I had been CPR certified several times in the past, but was not current.
I followed the ambulance to the hospital. The E.R. nurse advised me that the paramedics were never able to bring her back. She said that even if the paramedics had been there when she lost consciousness, there was no bringing her back; her brain had stopped sending signals to her heart to beat. She had been suffering from senile dementia for several years. She was 1 month shy of her ninety-first birthday.
It doesn't seem to matter how prepared you think you are for a loved one's passing. You are never really ready.

smokeywolf

Lloyd Smale
06-11-2012, 05:41 AM
why dont they want you to give breaths anymore?

MT Gianni
06-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Lloyd, They want the compressions @ the rate of 100 per minute. They assume that the blood will remain oxogenated through the time it takes for the ambulance to arrive and some shallow breathing because oif the compressions.. CPR has changed many times in the 40 years since I first qualified, I do not believe that this will be the last time. The nurse who did my most recent qualification said that 15/2 would still probably work,

redneckdan
06-11-2012, 05:09 PM
This method is for laymen and not people cert'ed at the BLS or ALS level.

One thought is that people will be more likely to help when don't have proper BSI and only do chest compressions thereby reducing their exposure to bodily fluids. Otherwise they might just stand there.

Also, removing half the tasks required simplifies the operation and makes it easier to remember.

CPR is a hail mary pass. The survival rate is between 5 and 10%.

mongo
06-12-2012, 12:23 AM
I took the class a long time ago, 15 and 2 breaths, I used to keep a ambu (spelling? lol) , bag in the trunk of the cruiser. Dont want to give mouth to mouth to anyone on a dark Bronx highway if you dont have to. Did enjoy the video, Brooklyn wise guys with English accents...FORGETABOUTIT EH...LOL Tom

94Doug
06-12-2012, 12:26 AM
It seems the training changes every two years that I go in for re-cert. Breaths/no breaths, number of compressions.....

d

cheese1566
06-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Studies found just compressions are as effective, if not better.

Ever used a hand water pump? Takes a few strokes to get it primed.

Better to keep the blood flowing then stop and take a breath.
Plus, people had a hard time recalling the ratio of breaths to compressions.

I recall there is some song to think of and the beat will correspond pretty good to the compression rythym. Cannot remember what it is though...

Geraldo
06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
CPR is a hail mary pass. The survival rate is between 5 and 10%.

Actually the survival rate for pre-hospital full arrest is far less than that. In twenty years I had two real full arrest "saves", meaning they were discharged from the hospital. In both cases it was a fast response time and rapid defibrillation that saved them. CPR alone is about buying time until EMT-Ds or paramedics arrive.

Automatic external defibrillators are available at far lower cost than they used to be. These can be used by untrained personnel, and are in school, airports, and other community buildings. They are worth raising money for in your community.

The Double D
06-12-2012, 09:29 AM
My wife died suddenly last year from cardio-pulminary arrest. 9-1-1 had me do compressions only. Everything happen very fast and by time they had me start the compression she was already in agonal breathing. The time from when I called 9-1-1 to the time I hung up my cell when the EMTs arrived was three minutes.

It wasn't lost on me that the EMT's did not do compressions, they only bagged her.

I knew she was gone.

skeeter2
06-12-2012, 10:25 AM
The major points are: people don't want strangers slobber on them (vomit either) in the days of biohazards and are thus more likely to do CPR if they don't have to do ventilations. Good compressions cause air to go in and out of the chest. It's real air too and not exhaled air. Pausing to give breaths disrupts rhythm. The out of hospital arrest survival rate is so dismal it's hard to study this stuff, but this really makes sense to me. Every time you compress their chest they take a breath. What does save lives is quick defibrillation. Get the AED and get it fast. There are some people that you just can't get back with defibrillations either.

EMC45
06-12-2012, 12:35 PM
It seems the training changes every two years that I go in for re-cert. Breaths/no breaths, number of compressions.....

d

I was gonna say the same thing. I have been certed in the past and it was always changing.

MT Gianni
06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I recall there is some song to think of and the beat will correspond pretty good to the compression rythym. Cannot remember what it is though...

"Taking Care of Business" by BTO of you are old enough to remember it.

mongo
06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
"Taking Care of Business" by BTO of you are old enough to remember it.

What do you mean, That aint an old song LOL

41 mag fan
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Last yrs refresher training, thats required per MSHA and federal law, they had us train using compressions only.
They want the compressions as fast as you can do them, because it helps the blood to flow, the chest compressing makes the heart compress and move blood.

Well yesterday morning, the training came into play for a few of the guys from the mine. Kid on 3rd shift was headed home, not even 2 miles from the mine, veered off headon into the front end of a coal truck.

The guys pulled Timmy out of his vehicle and performed CPR till the ambulance arrived and they took over.
He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Only thing they can figure till an autopsy is performed, is he fell asleep at the wheel.
Early 30's, left behind a toddler and wife.
Really put a damper on everyone at work, just because it was one of us that got killed.

Blammer
06-14-2012, 09:11 AM
that video was hilarous!

Lance Boyle
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
gosh, I was thinking the song mentioned in my last retraining was "stayin alive" by the Beegees.

badge176
06-14-2012, 10:09 AM
http://m.collegehumor.com/video/6538359/ken-jeong-push-hard-push-fast-cpr-psa

rockrat
06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Stayin Alive is the song. Last certification I got, about two years ago, still had us doing 30/2, IIRC. I think it was starting to lean towards compressions only.

I was told, tongue in cheek, that if you don't crack a few ribs, you aren't doing it right. Not in the class, but by someone who should know.

longranger
06-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Having done CPR on hundreds of dead people from the early 70's as a EMT-B and Paramedic for 18 years. I have exactly 2 saves both came from defibralating. I did a thesis paper on the usefulness of the by-stander A.E.D.'s ,they account for more saves than CPR ever has or will. If I was in close association of a family member with heart isssues I would most certainly have a A.E.D. available.
My 2 saves, one lived next door to the fire station and the other coded in the back of the bamblance. Early intervention i.e. witnessed arrest is your best chance.
I am really glad to see the respiration aspect of CPR go away.

cephas53
06-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Just my opinion but I think one of the reasons ventilations were dropped from the protocol was the inability of most to do it adequately. Especially under stress. Time better spent doing compressions. Even in the hands of trained personnel it can be a challenge.