PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Pages : [1] 2 3

bowfin
06-10-2012, 10:30 PM

imashooter2
06-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I believe I'm in the same fortunate boat. But should some smokin' deal flop down in front of me... What can I say? I'm just weak.

crabo
06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
I believe I'm in the same fortunate boat. But should some smokin' deal flop down in front of me... What can I say? I'm just weak.

+1. I went to church and a friend put a 10 pound piece in the back of my truck. A roofer friend drops off a couple of roof jacks every now and then. I keep taking it. You can always sell or trade it for something else.

shadowcaster
06-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I haven't reached the point where I can determine... how much a lifetime supply is?
Until then, it's happy hunting :) My family thinks I have "lead" for brains! :lovebooli

Shad

buck1
06-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Should be good till the groundhog is my mailman.

kenyerian
06-10-2012, 11:06 PM
i thought I had enough until my grandson's got interested in shooting, reloading, etc. They have really made a dent in it the last couple of years.

WVHunter129
06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
I have maybe 500 to 600 pounds of lead, but no where enough to say a lifetime supply. Of course I only got into casting about 3 months ago. So you guys who have a lifetime supply you can pass on your excess to me. Trying to find lead around here is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

220swiftfn
06-10-2012, 11:26 PM
So this poll is to find out who's arm to twist so's you're in their will, right????

:kidding:

Dan

WILCO
06-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I'll never have enough, so I'll keep looking.

gbrown
06-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Can anyone say what a "lifetime" supply is? Not sure what that means. If I had 5,000 # of various material, maybe. Again, not sure.

geargnasher
06-10-2012, 11:56 PM
I catch and recycle most everything I shoot at home, so I'm set for virtually forever.

Gear

John in WI
06-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Not even close here.
My lead holdings are very limited. 4 or 5 10# ingots of WW/lead pipe, several 1# ingots of dead soft, and maybe 10# of range scrap. I don't know what's sadder--my lead situation, or how little time I have to go shooting! At most I'm sitting on 100# of lead. But asking and scrounging and slow but sure it's improving.

skimmerhead
06-11-2012, 01:07 AM
i hope i live long enough to shoot what i have. i'll be in the record books, ( first man in modern history to run out of lead after only 190 years of shooting, say's he'll retire now!

skimmerhead :lovebooli:!:

alfloyd
06-11-2012, 01:20 AM
I have enough for my life time, but I keep collecting and selling it.
If it gets low, then I will stop selling and just shoot it. :)

Lafaun

dragon813gt
06-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Simply put; no.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

avogunner
06-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I have about 1200lbs of shootable alloy hoarded (of varying composition/hardness) and am comfortable about "having enough". However, like others have said, I still keep an eye out for any good deals and of course, can't resist picking the range. Because of it, my monthly expenditure is usually neutral....I bring home as much as I shoot.

btroj
06-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Not even close.
I have maybe 500 pounds on hand. I figure I shoot 150 to 200 pounds per year.

The one thing that does help is my ability to gather range ****. I have collected over 200 pounds of that in the past year. As the berms are not my personal property I don't consider them "'mine" so I don't think I have a lifetime supply. Yet.

slide
06-11-2012, 08:58 AM
I wish I did,but, my answer is no. I am working on it.

Freightman
06-11-2012, 09:31 AM
I am old but who can say when it will end? so do I have a lifetime supply? only the Lord knows!

358wcf
06-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Yes, I believe I do- I will be 60 in a few months-
Last year, I did an "inventory" in that I had to move my lead stash from the garage area to the side yard storage area, by hand, in a small wagon. My best estimate is that I have right at 3000 pounds of quality ingots, ready to go. Several hundred pounds of solder to sweeten the pot at well- today, I scrounge for tin-rich pewter to alloy with the lead to improve the quality of the boolit fillout. I always strive for the very best in quality in my casting, even if it slows me down-
I am passing on the "art" of casting to my Son in Law these days to make sure all my casting equipment has a good home some day. He's catching on well, and learning that casting is not only about "economy"- it is a passion- a science unto itself-

Chuck 358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

sqlbullet
06-11-2012, 10:11 AM
I have about 3000 lbs on hand. At my rate of shooting lately I think I probably do, but that could pick up.

I always am looking to hoard more.

RugerFan
06-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I have about a ton in various forms. Seems like it will last forever while I'm working full time. I think I'll go through it much faster once I'm retired and have a lot more time to put into casting and shooting.

onesonek
06-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I guess it depends on how much shooting for fun and hunting, I end up doing.
With a 400 gr. avg. for current use's, I have about 10,000 rnds worth. So, I just don't know right now. But I won't turrn down more, even if I don't use it, the kids will, or it will be bartering stock.

Rangefinder
06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Use to have well over a ton in various alloys. Over the last while I either sold off or traded a big chunk for other things that were needed at the time, so I'm definitely down a bit. BUT, that's being fixed a 5-gallon bucket at a time.

dnotarianni
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Lead vs life expendency is dependent on my wife and if I bring home another gun

Dave

fredj338
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I buy it if it's cheap, find it where/when I can. I don't actively scrounge shops anymore, just not worth the time & gas, but if in a place, I always ask. I have enough if I die within say 20yrs, hopefully not, but the amount I shoot also matters. At the current rate of 800rs/m, I got enough for about 5-6yrs.

dRok
06-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I doubt I have a lifetime suppy but Ive got about 1000lbs of WW and 200lbs of soft lead and 200lbs of 40/60 solder. Still trying to get more WW but they are hard to come by lately unfortunately.

1bluehorse
06-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I catch and recycle most everything I shoot at home, so I'm set for virtually forever.

Gear

This is exactly what I "try" to do. I probably loose a few but not many. As far as a "lifetime" supply, well I'm 65 so quite possibly what I currently have loaded in my guns could be enough :Fire:..heck, I don't even make dinner reservations anymore..:)

runfiverun
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
i have enough for @5,000 rds a year for the next 20 years.
unfortunatly i/we shoot more than that.
even scrounging/mining probably won't cut it.
i'm working on a recycling program.
i'm just not too excited about hauling a bucket of dirt to the range in the mustang.

Springfield
06-11-2012, 01:15 PM
My kids are just coming into real shooting age. I figured out if we all 4 shoot 2 cowboy matches a month, with an average of 200 grains/bullet, and we shoot for 20 more years, then I will need 5,485 lbs. I will be 76 then so who knows if I will still be shooting, but I hope so. I am almost there but I buy any good deal that comes along. If I/we start getting into long range shooting the stash will get depleted much faster.

35isit
06-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I voted for the first one. I really don't know if I have enough. I have about a 55 gallon drum 2/3rds full right now of seperated unsmelted wws plus about 2 buckets of unsorted wws and about 50lbs of stick-ons and dead soft pb. I only shoot about 1000 148gr, 300 200gr and 300 260gr boolits a year. But I always keep looking for more.

GSCSA
06-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I'cve only got about 300lbs right now, but am starting to make more frequent trips to the recycler to pick up wheel weights. Recently discovered their stash of bar solder as well.

high standard 40
06-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I see no way I can use up all the lead I have stashed. I could use some more linotype though.

paul h
06-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately not, I could see myself going through my supply in a year.

I'd need a ton of ww's to feel good about my supply.

skeettx
06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-055S1.JPG
Linotype
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-049S.JPG
Linotype

Have 4 more boxes of wheelweight ingots

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-048S.JPG
Waiting smelting

jetsfan-24
06-11-2012, 03:35 PM
i think i,m good i have around 6 tons of ww range lead and pure and i still have a goal of getting aleast 100 pounds more per week i know i,m sick lol

375H&HGuy
06-11-2012, 03:50 PM
I honestly don't know at this point. I doubt it. I guess I have around 800 lbs+ of assorted WW and ingots on hand. I'm not going throught it very fast, however. Last year I scrounged range bullets and came up with about 75 lbs of Muffin ingots. I have gone through about half of those so far this year and I haven't touched the WW's or other ingots. I feel like I am shooting a good bit, but I am relatively new to casting, so it's hard to tell. If I have a chance to pick up more at a resonable price (or free...) I am sure I will add to the stash.

Marlin Junky
06-11-2012, 04:10 PM

Gear

Gear,

What do you shoot it into?

MJ

762 shooter
06-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I like to say that I have a 1500 lb safety margin.

Since this site has made me paranoid about getting lead now and in the future, I have tried to replace what I shoot.

Scrounging WW's, and Range mining has kept my shooting lead constant.

My problem is that dangswagget Lipsey's 45 colt and those dangswagget 285 grain Mihec boolits...............................dangswagget.

I guess I could cast more 115 grain pills for my 308.

Bullet Caster
06-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Only have about 20 lbs. of lead to cast with. Lead is gettin' hard to come by here in Eastern Tennessee. All tire shops tell me they've switched to steel ww, so no more lead. BC

white eagle
06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I answered yes because I have my own range
my lead all gets recycled and any i don't recycle aint much
i have enough ww/iso and soft lead to last my needs
I do need tin more and more
seems as though I am using more lead tin alloys these days

41mag
06-11-2012, 06:49 PM
I answered "I just don't know".

Why, well tomorrow is never a given, and even if your in relatively decent shape there are always circumstances you cannot foresee.

I have enough that I can happily work up loads for all of my revolvers, a few rifles, and still have quite a bit stashed away for the future. What I shoot in work-ups will be recovered and reused, and what is shot while hunting is an acceptable loss. No matter the amount of lead it's self, I probably have enough, that between it and the J-words I have stashed, my 3 grandsons will hopefully be shooting long after I am gone.

kbstenberg
06-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Like Gear said. 90% of my shooting is done at home and re-re-cycled.

Defcon-One
06-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I won't tell! "Lead, what Lead?????"

I can't tell? I don't know how long I'll live or how much I'll shoot!

I better keep scrounging just to be safe!

captaint
06-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Well, I'm not going to retire for 4 more years if I'm still breathing air then. I must have like 1800 lbs, so probably, no. Won't make it. I need to start shooting more 9mm and less .45. enjoy Mike

bowfishn
06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Being that no one really knows how much longer they will live that question is to ambiguous.

Crawdaddy
06-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Getting close. I don't shoot as much as some of the guys here. Every time I go to the range and am by myself I pick up lead. I average about 15 pounds a trip. I just started that a month or so ago, thanks to some of the posts I saw here.

My company just got into the home security business so I had an alarm installed on Friday. There was a problem with a motion sensor and the alarm went off while I was at the range.

Part of the package was a a camera that records video when the alarm goes off.

I didn't lock the door to my reloading room which is where I had the camera placed. You should have seen the look on the LEO's when they walked in! I am certain they think I have enough ammo, lead and powder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

alamogunr
06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Being that no one really knows how much longer they will live that question is to ambiguous.

+1 I'll be 70 next month and I have already given up trying to clean up 500 to 1000 lbs of WW in a day. I don't even go looking any more. Too much trouble for too few among all the steel and zinc.

I would estimate that I've got a couple of tons of various alloys with the great majority being WW. At the rate I'm using it you all can contact my sons someday to see about buying some. Although that may be several years down the road(I hope).

mstarling
06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I answered "no." In terms of WW and pure lead that still needs to be smelted out or is in ingots already probably not. If you include the already cast projectiles I might.

Will add more as possible nonetheless.

johnho
06-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I answered yes. I'm 67 and have about 1800 pounds of range lead in ingots and when I get bored i go out and cast something up and put in a box, label it with what it is and how many pounds. I probably have about 700 pounds of various pistol bullets in boxes waiting for sizing and lubing. the other day I noticed some bullets on the garage floor. One of the boxes had split from the weight on top. Had to do an emergency operation on that box with duct tape. Now they are all contained again and happy.

dnepr
06-11-2012, 09:29 PM
I voted that I have enough but that is assuming the odd score of lead between now and my date with the reaper , I definitly have enough to take me to my retirement years, Ihope to get to shoot enough in my retirement to use it all up but right now I work way to much to make a serious dent in my stash . I still pick up stray wheel weights when I am out for a walk though

Catshooter
06-11-2012, 09:29 PM
skeettx,

Sweet. What do you estimate that cross box weighs?

I figure I've got enough. Certainly doesn't stop me from gathering more, that's sure.

Cat

Alan in Vermont
06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I've got about 400 lbs. in either small, 2 1/2 lb., ingots or six inch frying pan size ones waiting to be mixed into smaller ingots. There are probably 100 lbs of boolits either raw or sized and lubed. Last two trips to the range I have come home with more lead than I shot so I have soft stuff to mix with the 60 lbs. of lino I just got from Evan Price. Also hoping to work out a deal when the club cleans the indoor range this fall.

I've probably got enough for the conceivable future as it is, unless I really start shooting heavily. I had planned to do that but I'm finding that even 3.0 of Bullseye is enough to aggravate the nerve damage in my left arm so I may not get back into any serious handgunning. If I'm not going to be dumping a lot of 200 gr. 45s downrange, or even a lot of 150 gr. 38s I've surely got enough as it is. If nothing else, if I can get the indoor range scrap it can be converted into a saleble(sp) product.

Wilsknife
06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
It's like guns, you're always one short of enough, no matter how many/much you have. I have 400 #s of Lino, 60#s or so of WW and I just bought 100#s of pure lead last week. And I might go back and get the rest of what they had and the tin too. Always trolling for a good buy, if you have any to sell.:bigsmyl2:
:cbpour:
:smile:

nighthunter
06-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I have way more than I'll ever shoot but I'd like to make sure my son has enough to get him most of his way there. I never pass on free lead of any type. I wish I had a dollar per pound for all the lead I have cast and shot in the last 45 years. Would take me and the Mrs. on a nice vacation somewhere. My father was a cable foreman for the telephone company and he broughtz home tons of lead joints and a good friends father worked for the car shops for B&O Railroad. Used to be that all the train wheels used a tin and lead based babbit for the bearings. He kept us in good supply to mix up a good alloy. Sure has been good to have been able to cast, load and shoot as much as I have for all these years. I hope the next generation gets the chance also.

Nighthunter

9.3X62AL
06-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Nowhere near a lifetime supply here, and that's intentional--I'm likely to have to move it again for some distance, the job sitch being what it is for teachers/education administrators in California.

Mooseman
06-12-2012, 12:21 AM
If I live 20 more years , I may not have enough...LOL

Jaybird62
06-12-2012, 01:03 AM
I'll have enough when there's enough to last my two sons (15 and 20). Looks like 3,000+ lbs of clip-on, 2,000 lbs of soft and 500 lbs of lino. That's a fair start.

TheGrimReaper
06-12-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't have anywhere where I'd like to be at. I keep on at it though. I get lead sheets from work time to time I melt down, and have taken to digging at the range which has been fruitful for me.

10 ga
06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
At my current rate of "consumption" (I'm 62 years old) I have enough unless.......... I'm still hoarding and will continue to do so until I'm not physically able. Lead is part of ammo, and there ain't but 2 kinds, enough and not enough. I don't have enough, my children and grandchildren don't have enough! Read my signature below and you'll know how I feel about a lot of things! 10 ga

Jamesconn
06-12-2012, 01:19 PM
I am going to say something that Ive heard from many wise gun people about how much ammo one should have and lead is a component for ammo anyway.

"If ya know how much ya got, you dont have enough."

MGySgt
06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I answered - not really sure. I have over 2 tons of lead/alloy. 800 pounds can be considered pure the rest WW.

I have about 50 pounds of Lead Free Solder - although I don't use it much.

If I start shooting my 45/90's again where each round is 1 oz of lead - No I don't have enough.

I am retiring for the second time Aug 31st. Wife will probably put me back to work AGAIN, but I will take a few months off first.

I can do a lot of shooting in 2 months when the range is in my back yard. But if I shoot the steel targets all I can reclaim is dust and my misses!

Live another 10 years - maybe I have enough.

skeettx
06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Hello
I have NO IDEA what the cross box weighs, but I KNOW it is HEAVY
Mike

SMCCORD
06-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I work in the automotive field and have a few friends who do also. I have had access to clip-on and stick on weights for the last 20 or so years. I still ask around at local tire stores and scrap yards because you never know when you might score. Wheel weights are becoming harder to get even for people in my position. Do I have a lifetime supply? Probably. Will my son have enough? I doubt it.

Trey45
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
My lead supply grows almost every week, but I also cast frequently so it sort of evens out.

CollinLeon
06-13-2012, 08:44 PM
I figure that if you have a "lifetime supply", it either means that you don't shoot enough or don't plan on living long enough...

I've got a few hundred pounds of WW, lino, and some unknown alloy... Not enough for a lifetime, but it's enough that as long as I'm constantly looking, my stockpile is not decreasing too much over time...

bruce drake
06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I cast close to 200lbs of lead into various boolits prior to this move to Kansas and gave another 50lbs away to a beginning caster so I'm sitting on a stockpile of zero of wheelweights or reclaimed range boolits so the majority of my work this summer and fall will be to rebuild my stockpile from the local garages and ranges before I breakdown and purchase lead ingots from others.

I must retrieve my lead account back into the positive...

Bruce

lead chucker
06-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't have enough to last. I have been hoarding all I can get but where I live WW are hard to come buy. I can get soft lead that doesn't seem to be a problem. I traded a guy on on here pound per pound pure lead for WW. That helped me out a bunch. I pick up all I can at the range. That stuff works good for my 45 acp. What I would like to do is trade pure lead for Linotype. I have a couple hundred pounds of WW. It's amazing how fast it goes.

imashooter2
06-14-2012, 07:12 AM
I figure that if you have a "lifetime supply", it either means that you don't shoot enough or don't plan on living long enough...

Or it could mean you aren't young anymore, you shoot all you want and have stores to last Methuselah.

There are more than just a few of those folks here...

CollinLeon
06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Or it could mean you aren't young anymore, you shoot all you want and have stores to last Methuselah.

There are more than just a few of those folks here...

Yeah, I'm working on the age part way too quickly... If I had know I was going to live this long, I might not have done some of the stupid things I did in my youth... I might then actually still have some cartilage in my knees...

H.Callahan
06-14-2012, 03:01 PM
If I had know I was going to live this long, I might not have done some of the stupid things I did in my youth... I might then actually still have some cartilage in my knees...
Amen!

mold maker
06-14-2012, 03:45 PM
At 70, with 6 tons, I think I have enough. Did I mention I had 7 close relatives, that made it, well past a century?
If I see a WW, or think I can score, I don't know how to pass it up. Fifty year old habits are hard to break.

bslim
06-14-2012, 08:30 PM
I started casting about a year ago. Thought it was a great idea to be able to supply my own needs without having to rely on someone elses delivery date or the rising costs. Little did I know about the scrounging disease and did I ever get it bad. Right now I have over 4000 lbs of WW ingots and pure lead from jacketed bullets. Another 500 lbs of pure 99% lead ingots and 50 lbs of 50/50 solder. I say approximately because I have no accurate count, I just keep adding to the pile as it comes through the door. Will I stop, not a chance, once you're hooked there's no cure that I'm aware of other than getting planted. I worked hard to set up supply sources and getting contacts and now that it's paying off, I just can't stop.

CollinLeon
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
For those who are stockpiling lead, do you have enough primers also stockpiled to accommodate that amount of lead? In blim's case, that would equal about 138K primers assuming 230 gr for .45ACP...

mold maker
06-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Nobody ask if I had enough powder and primers. That's why I have so much lead. I have been trading one for the other.

bowfin
06-15-2012, 03:27 PM
That's why I have so much lead. I have been trading one for the other

....then that serves a purpose, and the question becomes "Do you have enough lead to keep you shooting? (which includes financing powder and primers)

alamogunr
06-15-2012, 03:42 PM
....then that serves a purpose, and the question becomes "Do you have enough lead to keep you shooting? (which includes financing powder and primers)

Probably not! Especially if I'm reading the Nov. elections correctly. I hope I'm wrong and I am doing everything(which is limited) I can to educate people how to vote.

The last election brought unprecedented shortages and price increases. I'm afraid the next one will be worse. If moderators feel this is out of place here feel free to delete. This one post shouldn't taint the entire thread.

imashooter2
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
For those who are stockpiling lead, do you have enough primers also stockpiled to accommodate that amount of lead? In blim's case, that would equal about 138K primers assuming 230 gr for .45ACP...

Neither primer nor powder because a lifetime supply of either of those would well exceed fire codes and my ability to store them safely.

bslim
06-15-2012, 04:21 PM
My home storage limits are 10,000 primers and 20 lbs of powder. My son owns and acerage outside of town and I have my own storage bunker. I sit around 160,000 primers and 200 lbs of powder of various brands and types. We went through a time when primers were limited to 100 per customer and the prices were genuine rape. Pay or you don't get any! I sure don't want to go through that again and with primers coming out of the US , homeland security just might put a kybosh and any cross border shipments. We just have to plan ahead.

legend
06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Im with freightman,at 64 i believe i can make it to the great beyond with what i have....but depending on which direction i go(UP---DOWN) heaven will have all the lead i need and every gun i ever wished for,while down below might just be too warm for my supply to last.

Man what a garage sale the wife will have selling lead....cases....primers....loaders....tumblers... etc.

twotoescharlie
06-16-2012, 09:47 AM
at age 75 with inoperable cataracs, I think what I have will do me.

TTC

One Gun Andy
06-17-2012, 09:43 PM
I did at one time until my wife... Well, let's just say 'no' and keep looking!

DarthTater
06-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm down to a couple of hundred pounds of wheel weights and maybe 120 pounds of soft. That's certainly not enough (I'm only 50), but my buddy at the tire store always has a five gallon bucket waiting when I stop by. So far, the steel content has been pretty low and he says that if it starts kicking up, he'll have the boys start trying to keep them separate.

It wouldn't kill me to buy lead, but I sure wouldn't like it!

Chill Wills
06-18-2012, 04:39 PM
I've been a life long bullet caster and shoot a LOT of cast every year. Despite my yearly needs (400-600 lbs) I am sitting on about 4000 lbs. I still collect what I can.

Is it a life time supply?

Hell, ask my Doctor. I don't know.:shock: [smilie=s:

latesvak
06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Well I know that I have alot but now that its even harder to come by I ask everone I know to keep an ear out and I will tell you that I would not turn any down if it came my way.

Latesvak

CollinLeon
06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
I've been a life long bullet caster and shoot a LOT of cast every year. Despite my yearly needs (400-600 lbs) I am sitting on about 4000 lbs. I still collect what I can.

Is it a life time supply?

Hell, ask my Doctor. I don't know.:shock: [smilie=s:

Well, considering that you live in Leadville, CO, if any of us should have a lifelong supply, you should...

gray wolf
06-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Lets see--My lead supply by Sam C.
Well I have been melting my 45 ACP bullets in order to make some 44 Mag bullets.
So I guess you could say my lead supply is not so good.
Box that holds my tin = empty
Here in Maine you can't get a WW --use to but not anymore.
I still let people shoot my pistols, when it's gone it's gone.
So far the good Lord has kept it going, but only he knows how.
My friend had 400 pounds of nice clean WW from stock cars ( balancing weights )
He would sell me some for 50 cents a pound, I could get a couple dollars worth when I needed some. Well he is in worse shape then me and sold it all.
I never even asked him to who he sold it to.
My pure is about 35 pounds but it's a little soft EH.
Now, that being said I would be happy to answer any other questions ( smile on face )

DeanWinchester
06-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Lifetime supply? I work in a tire shop. I was there a long time ago.

Hamish
06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
There have been two or three fellows who have intimated that they have tonnage, not poundage. Methinks our friend Dean may be a member of that company.

"I was there a long time ago"

Bravo, sir, bravo.

dragon813gt
06-19-2012, 10:43 PM
I will feel a lot better once I fill this up.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/Reloading/a1a6195f.jpg

I have around 300#s of isotope cores to melt into ingots and add to it. But that still leaves a lot of empty space.

jabo52521
06-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Yep. Sitting on about 1500 pounds of monotype. Need more WW.

Old Ironsights
06-19-2012, 11:44 PM
No. I had to sell off about 1k# WW when I moved, which leaves me with only 1K#WW and 500# pb... [smilie=b:

Fortunately (?) :sad: I still don't have my casting/smelting shed finished yet, so anything I collect just gets added to the "smelt me" pile. :killingpc

johnnyh
06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
I am new to casting but I have ten unsorted 5 gal. buckets of used wheel weights, about 100
pounds lead stick on weights, and about 1000 pounds of ingots. I need more pure lead and
tin.

Johnny

1Shirt
06-21-2012, 07:46 PM
There is not such thing as to much of a supply of lead!
1Shirt1:coffee:

Aaron
06-22-2012, 01:49 AM
But continuing unemployment and post-divorce court issues, even after nearly four years, has necessitated a sell off of my strategic supply. I would rather sell lead than guns...hopefully the job situation changes. I had somewhat in excess of five TON at one time not too long. More to be listed on the S&S section tomorrow, even some lino in 20 pound pigs, if any of you guys around Colorado Springs are interested. What for the thread. Still need to take a picture.

Aaron

Shiloh
06-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Probably not enough for a lifetime. I keep acquiring...
Scored a 5 gal bucket of wheel weights last week. The first WW
I've got in a long time.

rmark
06-24-2012, 01:06 PM
If I get the 2400 lb lead boat keel from my neighbor I will. At the moment it's still attached to the boat he's salvaging out.

CollinLeon
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
If I get the 2400 lb lead boat keel from my neighbor I will. At the moment it's still attached to the boat he's salvaging out.

That's about 75K rounds of 230 gr .45... I *think* that would last me for the rest of my life... Maybe...

Longwood
06-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I figure hoarding is a waste of time that is the cause of the "So called" shortages.
I let my friends do it then when they kick off I will get it from their widows for, "Just get the damn stuff out of here".
:redneck:

OverMax
06-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Do I have enough. How does one judge how much is enough. For my needs, I think so. I go to my club range 4-5 times a year for a couple hours each trip. Maybe shoot 12-15 rds.each time from either modern rifles or B/P rifles. Hunt deer in two separate State Seasons. Fire 2-3-rds of 270 at best. Once or twice from either my 45-54 Hawken during the B/P Season. That's about it for the year. The amounts of lead and alloy I have on hand are small compared to some. And than again, maybe just a tad more than others. But hey, I'm happy. (Below) is what I have on hand.

6-700 lbs. of Linotype.
25-30 lbs. of clean Range Lead
75-80 lbs of soft lead that came from smelting lead pipe & sheets.
20-25 lbs W/W lead.
200 lbs #6 Mag Lead Shot
150 lbs #7-1/2 Chilled Lead Shot

Than there is Masscaster. Being a past customer of Jeff's I can recommend his Shop for anyone's Boolit or ball casting needs.

CollinLeon
06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Do I have enough. How does one judge how much is enough.

Easy... First you die... If you have any leftover at that time, then you had enough... If not, then you didn't...

I'm not so sure I like that way of determining it though...

imashooter2
06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Easy... First you die... If you have any leftover at that time, then you had enough... If not, then you didn't...

I'm not so sure I like that way of determining it though...

Eventually, you will reach an age and an inventory position that will allow you to make reasonable assumptions.

1Shirt
06-26-2012, 01:40 PM
No such thing as enough or to much! Build up a supply to leave to the grand kids, and make sure they are shooters.
1Shirt!

Cowboy T
06-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Nope, what I've got won't last all that long, and unfortunately, wheel weights are drying up. Might be talking with The Captain before long....

guidogoose
07-01-2012, 06:55 PM
I suddenly feel less "crazy' as to how much I have after reading this post. Thanks guys!

Cowboy T love your you tube videos!!

shaper
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and to reloading. My son n law has been collecting and reloading for a while now and is casting 30 cal.
So far I have turned 300 pounds of plumbers lead into small ingots. I did a barter job about a week ago, (I have a powder coating business) the job would have brough in about $200. but by bartering it brought in over 400 pounds of line o type, and 25 pounds of babbit bars.
I found a recycle place that will sell all the lead I want for .50 per pound so I have another 100 pounds of plumbers lead coming this week.
Funny how everyone is looking for wheel weights, I haven' worked with any of it yet.
I have been reading the posts for some time now and recently registered. I'll continue reading before dropping dumb questins on someone.
I'll be looking for some equipment that someone might be willling to get rid of in the future and I would like to have some long conversations with some black powder folks.

mold maker
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Well today I got 88# closer to enough. I picked up half a bucket of sorted WWs this morning. That will close a little of the gap toward enough, but will still be short. I plan on watching the curbs on the way to the pearly gates.

tbj555
07-04-2012, 02:28 AM
im a lil short only have 200#pure , 300#ww , 100#pipe , 250#pure sheet ,75#scrap flashing, stuff is tuff to get any more

guidogoose
07-04-2012, 09:22 AM
im a lil short only have 200#pure , 300#ww , 100#pipe , 250#pure sheet ,75#scrap flashing, stuff is tuff to get any more

Here's a tip for acquiring more lead. Talk to people about your hobby. Its amazing how that will open the door to getting supplies. Just by doing that I recently acquired 700 lbs of linotype. The guy used to be a printer and his wife kept complaining that it was taking up too much room and to get rid of it. I paid 60 cents a pound for it. They were so happy to get rid of it they even helped me load it and "thanked me for getting rid of it for them" ! I talked to another guy and found out that his roommate just happens to be the foreman at a scrap yard. Now whatever I need to purchase is usually priced in twelve packs of beer..lol. Good luck.

Longwood
07-04-2012, 11:55 AM
No such thing as enough or to much! Build up a supply to leave to the grand kids, and make sure they are shooters.
1Shirt!

With the fascination children, and surprisingly even some grownups,, err adults, err, middle aged people have for electronic toys that they can play while being sedentary while growing a big fat-***, even fewer will be interested when the new stuff is here.

I offered to teach a friends kid to fly for free last year, he hesitated about 5 seconds too long and I seriously doubt he knows just how stupid that was.
Not long ago, kids would pee themselves if asked if they wanted to learn to fly.
I hope the knuckle head enjoys his Game Boy.
I hope his dad still likes him for a house mate and enjoys paying his way when he is 45.
Children seem to have no desire to do anything anymore unless they expect to get famous for it.

alamogunr
07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Not all kids are like that. And those that are, who do you think made them that way??

bluesman423
07-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Not even close :(

largecaliberman
07-07-2012, 06:00 AM
I have a steady supply of around 1500 - 1800 lbs every three months. I would usually clean out the shutes from an indoor shooting range for free. In the past, this indoor shooting range had to hire a hazmat company to clean the shutes. I do it for FREE.

357maximum
07-07-2012, 09:54 PM
I am real good on ww

I am pretty good on soft lead

I could use some more babbit

If I am still shooting after the age of 97 I may be in trouble....but I think I am ok on that one as most of my family drops at 83 to 87 years old.

imashooter2
07-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I am real good on ww

I am pretty good on soft lead

I could use some more babbit

If I am still shooting after the age of 97 I may be in trouble....but I think I am ok on that one as most of my family drops at 83 to 87 years old.

Here's hoping you run out! :drinks:

dRok
07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I got 380lbs of soft stick on's this weekend for 190 bucks, have them all melted down and poured into 6lb bars already. They were presorted by a guy that collects the clip ons but didnt want the stick ons. Easy Peezy....

south.texas.dead.I
07-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, I believe I do- I will be 60 in a few months-
Last year, I did an "inventory" in that I had to move my lead stash from the garage area to the side yard storage area, by hand, in a small wagon. My best estimate is that I have right at 3000 pounds of quality ingots, ready to go. Several hundred pounds of solder to sweeten the pot at well- today, I scrounge for tin-rich pewter to alloy with the lead to improve the quality of the boolit fillout. I always strive for the very best in quality in my casting, even if it slows me down-
I am passing on the "art" of casting to my Son in Law these days to make sure all my casting equipment has a good home some day. He's catching on well, and learning that casting is not only about "economy"- it is a passion- a science unto itself-

Chuck 358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Ya I am planning on finding a woman with a father who's into casting and has way too much lead and will have to pass it down to me after he's gone....im sure I'll like other characteristics of hers as well though

Living another day
To CRUSH another clay

mtnman31
07-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I definitely don't have a lifetime supply.

First reason, I'm still fairly young. Second, being that I end up having to move move every few years, I keep my stash fairly light. Last time I changed locations, I had a couple hundred pounds of lead to drag along, I'm guessing between 200 and 300 lbs at the time. Add that to the weight of my loaded ammo, tools, lathe and all the other stuff a man HAS to have and things get pretty heavy pretty quick. Once I retire and settle into a home that I feel will be permanent, then I'll look at stockpiling a bit. Once I settle into a permanent place I will also do a few other things that the nomadic military lifestyle isn't conducive to - get a dog, buy a mill, acquire more vehicles (I already have four and moving them is a nightmare).

MGySgt
07-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I definitely don't have a lifetime supply.

First reason, I'm still fairly young. Second, being that I end up having to move move every few years, I keep my stash fairly light. Last time I changed locations, I had a couple hundred pounds of lead to drag along, I'm guessing between 200 and 300 lbs at the time. Add that to the weight of my loaded ammo, tools, lathe and all the other stuff a man HAS to have and things get pretty heavy pretty quick. Once I retire and settle into a home that I feel will be permanent, then I'll look at stockpiling a bit. Once I settle into a permanent place I will also do a few other things that the nomadic military lifestyle isn't conducive to - get a dog, buy a mill, acquire more vehicles (I already have four and moving them is a nightmare).

Been there done that - retired in 96 with 26 active. Been stockpiling since then. Only had about 300 pounds when I made my last PCS that I took the family with me.

hanleyfan
07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
I started with 200lbs and now I have 2000lbs and still looking, I think it is like Gold fever, it doesn't matter how much you have you are constantly looking for more and more some more. I call it lead fever. My wife thinks I have lost my mind, I just brought home 300lbs more today and added to my stash, She said when are you going to stop, I thought a while and said when I am dead. HA!

btroj
07-09-2012, 06:11 PM
My goal is to have a stash large enough to be on the show about hoarders!

Please don't tell my wife I said that, divorce is expensive!

MGySgt
07-09-2012, 06:44 PM
My goal is to have a stash large enough to be on the show about hoarders!

Please don't tell my wife I said that, divorce is expensive!

Yea - she may take half of your stash in lead! :)

no34570
07-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I got over 200kgs of Linotype lead,150 kgs of Wheel weights,then about 100 of pure lead,this should do me awhile I reckon........my precious!

OverMax
07-13-2012, 02:39 PM
guidogoose: I paid 60 cents a pound for it. They were so happy to get rid of it they even helped me load it and "thanked me When I bought my linotype I paid 0.15 cents a lb. But had to buy 2000 lbs as a requirement. Sold half off to a friend. Kept the balance. Best deal I have ever ran into by word of mouth.

crashguy
07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
I know how much lead I have, but, not how much time. That was a very deep poll.

bowfin
07-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I know how much lead I have, but, not how much time. That was a very deep poll.

Time is indeed the unknown quantity...except we know that our "stash" of time can only goes down, never be replenished. So I don't want to waste my steadily diminishing stock of time accruing stuff I will probably never use. That's why I decided I am done with scrounging lead. I need to spend more time shooting it, and THEN if I get to the end of the stash, I'll have made good work of what I have now, and can start over.

Now, if you can do the math and see you will need more, than it is only prudent to keep acquiring. If you aren't really sure, and you are 20 years old, then keep acquiring. If someone says, "I have a hundred pounds of lead I'm going to throw in the dumpster unless you want it for free.", that's a no brainer to take it. But right now, every hour spent on the back end of the boolit making process takes it away from the front end, which is taking my sons shooting the .38 S&W that Montana Charlie sold me last winter.

imashooter2
07-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Time is indeed the unknown quantity...except we know that our "stash" of time can only goes down, never be replenished. So I don't want to waste my steadily diminishing stock of time accruing stuff I will probably never use. That's why I decided I am done with scrounging lead. I need to spend more time shooting it, and THEN if I get to the end of the stash, I'll have made good work of what I have now, and can start over.

...and let the people say, AMEN!

Kraschenbirn
07-14-2012, 08:02 PM
This afternoon, after unloading the last bucket of the raw range scrap I 'mined' last week, I ran a quick thumbnail inventory. Counting what's already cast/lubed/sized, and reloaded ammunition on-hand, at my present rate of consumption I'm good for about 5-6 years...but I plan on being around longer than that.

Bill

H.Callahan
07-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm good ...

... as long as I die in the next couple of months.

Freightman
07-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I guess if I have a sieve and a shovel I have a lifetime supply! went to the range last evening and in less than an hour had 300# of 95% hard cast boolits and that didn't even scratch the surface.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-30-2012, 12:32 AM
I would have if EDK from the St Louie area weren't my older brother!

Every year at Quigley he picks up the tab for the motel room and some meals. I bring him about 300lbs of WW cast into 3 +/- lb ingots.

Rich
Sua Sponte

skeettx
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
You are blessed to have a brother that shoots :)
Mike

Alan in Vermont
07-30-2012, 03:03 PM
In the past week I have added about 160 lbs of range lead to my stash. Not a lot judging by what others seem to be "mining" but it's still that much more than I had.

In that same week I only fired 850 grs. total so I'm running way ahead based on that. (Five test loads with 358429s.)

RobS
08-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Nope not enough. I thought about a boolit trap on several occasions just don’t have the means to make it…………..yet. As WW alloy is being replaced by democratic, tree hugging hippy zinc and iron variants I keep thinking it’s about time to make such a device so I can recycle.

David2011
08-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Do I have a lifetime supply?

The missing answer option: I hope not.

David

genesis
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I recover/recycle my lead from my home made 4 X 4 X 4 sand trap. Works pretty good. Every couple of years it takes me a full day to sift through the sand and recover 300 to 600 pounds depending on how much sand I wanna sift through. I should be good for life. No more worries about lead scarcity, as long as I shoot on my home range.

Don <><

sw282
08-04-2012, 01:49 AM
l added about 400 pds to my stash this week from a range l have been visiting while working out of town. Guy who cleans the traps has been selling it to me for $20 a 3gal bucket full. These weigh 95-100 pds. As a "handgun only" range l dont think l will be getting much of the AK 47 steel jkt stuff. l hope to get app 85% lead per bucket

Down South
08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Last calculation I did, I had three tons of mostly COWW, which included several hundred lbs of Foundry Type, about 100 lbs of Mono and Lino, 1,000 lbs of pure, about 30 lbs of tin. That does not include the Peuter stash I have gathered.

Lifetime supply? I'm still collecting. I look at as an investment.

bslim
08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
If you have an indoor range close at hand, it's worth the time to go and visit them. Most of the ones around here consider cleaning and disposal of range lead to be a costly part of their business.

Old Ironsights
08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
If you have an indoor range close at hand, it's worth the time to go and visit them. Most of the ones around here consider cleaning and disposal of range lead to be a costly part of their business.

Make up a business card that says you are a "heavy metals reclamation & recycling specialist".

May as well look legit. :twisted:

Roosters
08-06-2012, 11:38 AM
If life’s little problems don’t start cutting me some slack so I can go shoot yea I got plenty ! Luck bound to change, maybe for the better. If so not close. Life is a gamble and so far I’m still a little to the good and thankful !!!

Hogdaddy
08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
No, I'm working on it ; )
H/D

Silvercreek Farmer
08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I probably have enough to kill a lifetime supply of meat, especially if I loaded them down to the point where they did not exit, but not much more. I am have been resisting stopping by the tire store, but I know I will give in eventually!

kcinnick
08-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Just put you CC on file at a ferrous metal dealer, get all you want.

Extruded hardball is NICE to work with.

imashooter2
08-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Just put you CC on file at a ferrous metal dealer, get all you want.

Extruded hardball is NICE to work with.

Huh? What is that in response to?

rmark
08-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Shooting mostly muzzleloaders, I don't fire that many shots during a shooting session. I can pick up almost as much as I shoot off the surface of the berms in our outdoor range. And I missed out on the boat keel - turns out my neighbors brother wants it - to make boolits.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
08-24-2012, 03:44 PM
At a mere 25 years old, I'm fairly sure my wife would leave me if I had a lifetime supply. We'd need another house to hold enough lead to lat me (hopefully) at least another 50-60 years.

MGySgt
08-24-2012, 03:59 PM
At a mere 25 years old, I'm fairly sure my wife would leave me if I had a lifetime supply. We'd need another house to hold enough lead to lat me (hopefully) at least another 50-60 years.

Naw - you store a few tons out side real easy - just don't sell the house and move! It is a real PITA to move a few tons of lead - I know - moved it twice!

Patrick L
08-24-2012, 04:26 PM
You know, based on my past rate of consumption, I just might. I've been going at it like crazy (accumulating) this summer, since NY has banned lead wheelweights. They're still taking lead off, but that won't last long.

I intend to keep hoarding, since I like to be sure, but I just Might have enough.

mold maker
08-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Keep saving, Ya never know just how long you'll live. I want folks to bring lead, in stead of flowers, to my wake. My son will have to carry on, after I'm gone, and I don't want him to deprive my guns.

LeeBoh
09-04-2012, 07:06 AM
I think a Ton or 2 will last a while. Just wish I could put one more proton in it without making it radio active.

mrb7
09-04-2012, 08:16 AM
I think a Ton or 2 will last a while. Just wish I could put one more proton in it without making it radio active.

Yeah, you and a whole bunch of alchemists.

1Shirt
09-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH!
1Shirt!

MusicMan
10-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Not enough guns or lead!:x

Wal'
10-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Not enough guns or lead!:x

Either & both. :smile: :bigsmyl2:

:castmine:

bowfin
10-02-2012, 11:19 AM
I WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH!

Seriously, why is that?

Suppose I pulled up in a dump truck dropped a hundred tons of unsorted wheelweights in your driveway today...then did the same thing tomorrow, and then the next day, and every day after that. You spend all your time moving the lead, can't get your car out of the way, have to find a buyer, throw out your back, neighbors start to complain, You don't have enough buckets, you spend hours sorting, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Ridiculous, I know. However, take it on a smaller scale. How much of what is left of your life is an acceptable ratio for a bucket full of wheelweights and the work that goes with it? The scouting for a source, closing the deal, hauling it home, sorting it, smelting it, and then putting it in storage.

If you have enough time that you are actually looking for something constructive to do to fill up the days, then I am officially jealous of you. In fact, this thread was started when I finally told myself, "Time to stop accumulating and start using. Don't buy any more guns or fishing tackle or wheelweights or camouflage pants or skinning knives until you have used up and worn out what you have."

I had a retired electric company employee who told me that they have hundreds of yards of buried lead sheathed cable that they didn't want to pull out of the ground, so they cut off the ends and left it. He said he could find it for me and get his partner to get me there with permission to get it. I am not going to waste any time on tracking it down and converting it into ingots to have on hand for my estate sale. I'll leave it for the guy who didn't get in on lead wheelweights and linotype back when they were around.

btroj
10-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Bowfin, I want 1shirt to leave a bunch for his estate. As the husband of his only child that means more for me!

I am slowly growing my stash. If I have a few tons I could probably call myself set. I don't so I keep looking.

Lead is like cash, how much is enough?

largom
10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Yes I have enough for whats left in time for me. However, I don't turn down any free and easy lead.

Larry

Old Ironsights
10-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes I have enough for whats left in time for me. However, I don't turn down any free and easy lead.

Larry

Cheap & Easy...

You have officially achieved the Status of Lead *****... :bigsmyl2:

Welcome to the club.

Gar
10-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Darn, I thought we were all Lead Whores [smilie=l:

I'm thinking the two tons of reclaimed shot and 100 pounds of tin I bought awhile back should last as long as I can.

atr
10-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes, I have enough to last me my lifetime. I've been hauling this stuff around since 1965 and adding to it as I go.......more than I will ever cast or shoot

dragon813gt
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm about 350#s closer today thanks to the mailman. And I'm due for an oil change so that means another five gallon bucket of wheel weights.

trapper9260
10-07-2012, 07:24 AM
I do not know if I have enough .I have about a ton .But I am always looking for more.If I can get it cheap or for nothing I will take it .I never refuse if someone has it that way or willing to give me it to getir off there hands.Beside I also try and save all that i shoot for testing round in my bullet stop.Also any reclaim lead.

dragonrider
10-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Yes I have a lifetime supply of lead, also powder, primers and cases. I will need more lube but that problem is easily solved.

Arkansas Paul
10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Not me. I've prolly got 300 pounds. Not even close.

GaryN
10-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Yes I am set. But I still pick up any I can get locally. I don't know what is wrong with me.

popper
10-16-2012, 06:00 PM
The constitution and now SCOTUS say we have the right to guns but no guarantee of shooting them. With the number of ranges closing, taxes rising, $ depreciating and my age, probably.

jethunter
10-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I have to keep revising how much a lifetime supply is. I used to think 1000 lbs would be lots. But I'm casting more for other people now and using a lot more lead than I used to.

Andrew Mason
10-16-2012, 11:32 PM
well, i think i am at about 700lbs.

not a bad stash, but not allot

i dont shoot much centerfire anymore anyway, will it last me my whole life, no, im 23 years old.

i still have many years of shooting left, but i figure i got a good start.

tbj555
10-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Im up to 1500# so its a good start but im always looking for more never turn any down.

daniel lawecki
10-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Stash 0#s been buying my cast boolits from local gun store. Been buying my moulds and other things. I still shoot about 600rds per week

lolbell
10-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm just getting started into casting so I only have about #500 of wheel weights. I have not cast a boolit yet. I have all the equipment with the exception of moulds. This is somthing I have had to get into as change purse would allow.

bowfin
10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Stash 0#s been buying my cast boolits from local gun store. Been buying my moulds and other things. I still shoot about 600rds per week

I don't suppose you are shooting somewhere at which you could recover your own lead?

snowwolfe
11-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Only about 400 pounds at my house but that is plently. Once it goes I am safe as long as I have enough in the checking account to order some more form Rotometals;)

thompsonm1a1
11-07-2012, 01:22 PM
i have 700lbs of ww on hand in 1 lb bars and each year i pick up over 100 lbs free from my local repair shop each year. i should have enough to last me most of my life.

rodsvet
11-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I have about 1200 lbs. of linotype in pigs and about 500 lbs; in loose type and ingots. I'm 65 and in good health, but you can never have enough linotype. It's getting harder in Kalifornia to get away far enough to shoot often enough.

Sheldon
12-06-2012, 11:39 PM
If I had a bunch of portable bullet traps I could easily take with me when I go to the range I would make what I have last a lifetime!! But as is I am resupplying all the time. Just got a 50 lb package in the mail today and want to cast in the morning!!

Alan in Vermont
12-07-2012, 07:09 PM
In the past month I have added around 700 lbs. to my stash. I never had this much ahead even when I was shooting a lot.

cbrick
12-08-2012, 04:09 PM
A life time supply? That's not possible considering my plan is to live forever just to tick off my pension plan. :mrgreen:

Rick

rodsvet
12-08-2012, 11:32 PM
What is a pension?

762sultan
12-09-2012, 06:08 AM
I shoot about 50 lbs. a year and have about 600 stock piled. But I drag home everything I find just in case. I have several friends who work in the auto industry who are very helpful. They go places that I don't and are always looking for pb.

cbrick
12-09-2012, 08:53 AM
What is a pension?

That's what ya get for sticking it out for 34 years in a health destroying job just to hang on to it. But I'll show them, I'll live forever. :mrgreen:

Rick

bslim
12-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I am up to around 7000 lbs, mostly COWW & jacketed bullet lead. I told my wife I thought I had enough to last me for a very long time. But, the local indoor range called me and let me know there was another 3000 lbs waiting for me. I was there the following morning to pick up the first 500 lbs. It's a disease, common sense has nothing to do with it.

Beau Cassidy
12-11-2012, 10:01 PM
After moving my stash twice in the past year and will have to move again by the first of the year after just moving 2 weekends ago (f'n realtor!) I am sure I have about 10 lifetimes of lead. I suggest not buying a U-haul truck or trailer after I am finished with it.

mold maker
12-11-2012, 10:53 PM
I think my pickup would jackknife if I didn't let it stop in at the tire place a couple times a week. Yeah, I've probably got more than enough, but I just can't stop a 48 year habit.
Enough, is a relative term.
How long ya gonna live?
How much ya gonna shoot?
Have ya got anyone to leave it to?
Is ya truck addicted to it?

astroskg
12-13-2012, 03:52 PM
nice stash wish i was you neighbor and good friend, hay i live in NM and work in Amarillo 3-4 weeks a year want to meet for dinner the next time i'm out there?

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-055S1.JPG
Linotype
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-049S.JPG
Linotype

Have 4 more boxes of wheelweight ingots

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-048S.JPG
Waiting smelting

skeettx
12-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Astroskg

SURE and bring guns (rifle or pistols or shotguns)
I have the keys to all the ranges and am retired.

BUT I do schedule my life, I REFUSE to be retired and bored !!

Mike

Mike

waco
12-15-2012, 06:34 AM
This got me wondering....
I got out the scales and started weighing all the alloy.
Right at 1500 LBS
I'm just not sure?......

doghawg
12-18-2012, 11:44 PM
While I may have enough to finish out this tour of duty (65) I still take it when it's free. ;)

b money
12-22-2012, 01:53 AM
I have MAYBE 500 LBS of WW's and I'm 22 so no I dont.

xrae21
12-22-2012, 02:51 AM
I wish I did but since I bought my wife a 1911 last Christmas she's killing my lead stash with her 500-700 round range vists. I've never seen a woman pump that many rounds through a pistol ever much less per range visit. Twice a month mind you.

bslim
12-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy her a revolver. That will slow her down a bit.

dancingbear41
12-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I estimate that I have about 1200 pounds, but I keep finding stashes I had forgotten I had. I also have approximately 6 years worth of bullets lubed, sized and ready to be loaded. It doesn't stop me acquiring more lead whenever it comes along though. You can never have too much!

btroj
12-22-2012, 10:25 PM
My daughter asked me tonig if I intended to gather as much range scrap as possible next summer. I mentioned that I can never have too much. I am sitting on over 500 pounds of clean alloy, not nearly enough.

I could be satisfied with a 2 ton stash. For now.

dragon813gt
12-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Getting closer by the day.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/Reloading/F9FB0FE7-7815-4B9A-AEE5-490A95189832-4518-000001D9B2D2DC85.jpg

Now I'm out of raw lead so it's time to find more :)

farmerjim
12-25-2012, 10:06 AM
A ton more and I might be close.

msinc
12-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I actually have no B.S., at least 5000 pounds of lead right now. But, I want to think I will cast and shoot that many bullets before I "break on thru to the other side" so I voted no, I would use what I got...gonna give it a hell of a try anyways!!!!

camotruck
12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
I was so sure I had enough that I started selling it or trading it. Then I got a 460 S&W and find myself running low.

True.grit
12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
I think it is going to be harder to get over time. I would get all I could before you can't. If they do not take the guns away they will make it so you can not aford to shoot. If you have kids and want to pass this Right along, get all you can get. Just sayan!

lightman
01-01-2013, 04:27 PM
I started cleaning out the store room about the time that I found this thread. When I uncovered my lead stash, I noticed that most of my 5 gallon buckets have split open. As I moved the ingots to milk cartons, I counted them and inventoried them. I think I have enough but I'll always be looking. For years I have had friends, coworkers and family members watching out for lead. Pretty often one of those contacts unexpectedly produces a score.

HighHook
01-01-2013, 05:02 PM
I voted don't know. 2k lbs can dwindle down if you don't continue the search..,.

Huntsman
01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know?
Approx 100lbs WW lead
Just under 250lbs pure
I'll keep hoarding as long as I can. Soon I'll be making my own "black powder" too.

Elk Country
01-02-2013, 10:50 PM
If I were only casting for my 45's then I would say Yes I have enough. However I am now using my 2500lb. stash to feed a littleton shotmaker. I'm sure I would run out of primers long before I run out of lead. Making my stash last is one reason I modified my LEE 230gr TC molds to 200gr.!

Elk Country

on1wheel01
01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Hell no, you can never have enough supply

ffg
01-05-2013, 03:48 AM
Yes, I am sure I do have enough .

mold maker
01-05-2013, 09:34 AM
"Enough," is relative to how long ya gonna live. I have had several Aunts and Uncles, on both sides, to live well past 100. I'm only 70 now, so I might need more than you.
At any rate, I'm still scrounging. My son will have to deal with whatever is left. ;>)

sljacob
02-02-2013, 09:44 AM
enough to last 5 years or so of moderate to conservative shooting. The good news is each year the stash gets larger as I have been able to collect more than i shoot.

dRok
02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Nice score this weekend! Stopped at 2 tire places while out of town for a hockey tournament. Picked up 6 full 5gal buckets between the 2 places. Cost me $240, not sure actual weight as the places wanted to sell by the bucket instead of per lb but they were pretty dang heavy! First place wanted $30/bucket and second place wanted $50/bucket. One full bucket was all truck clipons too! I had them all in the trunk of my toyota corolla for a while, thought I was going to do a wheelie! Luckily I found another hockey family that had a truck along to haul 4 of the buckets home for me...

Reverend Al
02-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Hmmm ... from memory (since it has been stashed away for a while) there is likely 1K in various types of lead (lino, bar solder, WW, soft lead ingots, scrap lead, alloyed ingots that ready to cast, etc.) plus about 15,000 misc pistol and rifle bullets already cast that just need lubing and sizing for use ... so I guess we're good for a few years, but I'll never pass up a chance to get more lead of any kind!

bear67
02-11-2013, 07:49 PM
How much is enough. I have a 1/2 ton of ww ingots, 1/2 ton ww unsorted, 800# almost pure lead and picked up 300 pounds almost pure and pure in original ingots last week. I am about out of solder and need a cheap source of tin. Find myself looking for salvagable sources but then I hoard steel, aluminum, wood, or almost anything else I can make something else out of. As I age, I find great satisfaction in making something out of something someone else discarded.

David2011
02-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Got about 1500 lb out there right now, so I hope that's not a lifetime supply.

David

Ken TN
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure but think I need more. 200 pounds of ingots and 4 of the 5 gallon buckets full of assorted wheel weights. I got lucky and only paid $50 for all 4 buckets...I figure it should smelt down to about 400 pounds. I have not shot much since moving to Denver so it could last a long time.

Just getting set up for smelting and collecting Boolit molds for the Marlins. I found a new turkey fryer to dedicate to smelting last month for $25. Found 3 Cast iron pots a few months ago at Goodwill on 1/2 price Saturday for $10 and a cast iron "corn ear" muffin tin for $3.

Just waiting for deals is great fun.

Case Stuffer
02-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Before moving almost seven years ago I had tens of thousands of cast and various stages of sized and lubed 38s,9s and 45s in several weights/styles . These were left over from my small ammo business of years past. During my move some low life broke into my shop / storage building and stole all my bullets,primers and powder. The primers and powder was the real stach money wise.

Purchased a 9mm about a monthe ago and have been buying boolits of all things.

Rex
02-16-2013, 10:56 PM
I believe I have a life time supply...........but I'm 70 so my needs may be different than most.

Digger
02-19-2013, 12:09 AM
With today's primer and powder situation ..... oh yea , I've got a life time supply ......:???:
Now as for tomorrow ......

dverna
02-19-2013, 12:36 AM
2000 LBS of alloy and cast bullets. That converts to about 80,000 .38, 9mm, .40 amd .45 bullets. No where near a LT supply.

3000 LBS of shot - 48,000 shells - no - not nearly enough shot either.

Springfield0612
02-21-2013, 05:56 PM

I catch what I shoot and as you can see the bullets are whole minus the ones who find each other on the inside! Buckets are full of recycled shredded rubber. Two bullet catcher setups with new materials run $25. Stopped factory 9mm Federal 115 FMJ, reloaded Missouri Bullet 124 GR RN @ 1000 fps, Factory .45 Federal 230 FMJ and Missouri Bullet 200 GR RNFP @ 850 FPS. With no pass through. I am still in the Military and have to move every couple years so this keeps me from stockpiling components. I just bought 52#'s of pure lead, got another 15#'s free and now looking for Pewter so I can up the hardness.

DeanWinchester
02-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Whew! I hope things never get so bad I have to catch what I shoot. What a PITA!

I just smelted 3 fi gallon buckets of semi truck weights. The smallest was 4 ounces and the largest was twelve!!! Lemme tell you, them ten and twelve ounce weights add up FAST!!

Springfield0612
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't really see how it is a PITA. Once the alloy is made and cast, if you catch it you melt it and you know your alloy is good. No tinkering, no math, you make your batch once and that is it. No more endless search for lead and other alloys. One time payment and you recycle it. It is no more of a PITA to catch your brass and reuse that for reloading, I see it as the same beast. I'll re-use my lead and spend my pennies on other stuff.

DeanWinchester
02-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Shootin em into a bucket and then digging all that out? I guess if I paid for lead I'd feel the same way.

MGySgt
02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Shootin em into a bucket and then digging all that out? I guess if I paid for lead I'd feel the same way.

It is less work than if you are smelting down WW and then blending in Tin/Lino/pure. - You just dump it on a screen and the boolits/bullets fall through - salvage your rubber and through the lead into your smelting pot - flux and make ingots. No more buckets of Clips!!!!!

DeanWinchester
02-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Meh, I suppose.
The tire shop I work in uses a wood stove for heat. I have a super heavy steel pot that I melt weights in. Using a steel hook I just set it in the coals and in a minute or two, I pull it back out. I have a metal pail for scrap metal that the scum and clips go into. Then I pour the lead into a large bar mold I have. About once a month I'll dig out the turkey fryer and spend e afternoon fluxing and casting them into smaller ingots. It's not worth my time to do it in small amounts so I wait until I have a few hundred pounds or so.

I get to do this at work so it's not like it's a chore. The wood stove is like having a free heat source and all the smoke and stink gets carried out the chimney. No smell!!!

I've thought many times about building a bullet trap like the one in the stickies section. But I figure I have more lead now than I will use in this lifetime with more coming all the time. Why bother.

Beesdad
02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
1000 lbs. on hand. Need to find more WW. Should last 3 to 4 years.

MGySgt
02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Meh, I suppose.
I've thought many times about building a bullet trap like the one in the stickies section. But I figure I have more lead now than I will use in this lifetime with more coming all the time. Why bother.

Why bother - Zinc and Steel WW's is why.

DeanWinchester
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM
The zinc and steel must not be as prevalent in TN.
Oh I see it. I've probably got 300lbs of zinc cast into clean ingots. .....but I see just about as much lead I as I ever have and I mount and balance tires all day, six days a week.

The thing that I'm seeing is a change in stick on weights. I have plenty of COWWs but I'm finding it difficult to get soft clip ons. I mean, I still get more than enough to feed my need but there's been a BIG shift to ferrous stick on weights as of late.

MGySgt
02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
It may not have reached TN yet, but CA and a few other states have outlawed the lead based COWW. The last buckets of WW I did (about 6 months ago) had about 25-30 percent of Zinc WW.

alamogunr
02-22-2013, 04:00 PM
In my area of TN each bucket of WW has a lot of steel and less zinc. If I felt I needed more lead, I would go after as many buckets as I could get and just sort out the zinc and steel. Since I think I have enough to last, I'm not going to the trouble of getting any more and sorting. Sorting is as dirty a job as I've done lately.

Stampede
02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Yep, since this week I have live time supply of lead.

Last week I had a meeting with some antique gun collectors. Most of us complained about the increase of lead prices and that it was harder to get your hands on it. One of the guys who was there also said he had a metal recycling company, just about a 30 min drive from my home.

He invited us and today we (myself and a good friend of mine) drove to him, not expecting that much of it. Man we were totally wrong, the guy had over 60 metric tons of lead! He sold it to us for 65 Euro cents (USD = 86 cents) per kilogram. We could pick the best and finest lead we could find, man we were like kids in a candy store. The only limit was the weight carrying capacity of our cars….... :-D

No more worries about finding lead and that for a super price, so many hours of bullet casting with my son is coming up.

PJ
Stampede62153

Trapperscott
02-25-2013, 11:24 PM

Last week I had a meeting with some antique gun collectors. Most of us complained about the increase of lead prices and that it was harder to get your hands on it. One of the guys who was there also said he had a metal recycling company, just about a 30 min drive from my home.

He invited us and today we (myself and a good friend of mine) drove to him, not expecting that much of it. Man we were totally wrong, the guy had over 60 metric tons of lead! He sold it to us for 65 Euro cents (USD = 86 cents) per kilogram. We could pick the best and finest lead we could find, man we were like kids in a candy store. The only limit was the weight carrying capacity of our cars….... :-D

No more worries about finding lead and that for a super price, so many hours of bullet casting with my son is coming up.

PJ
Stampede62153

Now that just might be a lifetime supply for me. LOL. Thats a good find for sure.

Scott

lmfd20
02-26-2013, 02:01 AM
I was looking through to find my answer to the poll. After seeing the above post, I don't think I will ever have a lifetime supply.

Nanook
04-06-2013, 07:22 PM
It's hard to say. I'm 61, and just came across a find of 1000# of pure lead bricks. I split them with my shooting friend, so 500# apiece. That's a lot of lead, since I have monotype on hand, along with some other odds and ends.

It's close, I guess. Depends on how much shooting I do once I retire.

I'm always looking for more, though. LOL

detox
04-07-2013, 10:20 PM
I have about 210 lbs of various types. 50 lbs of linotype, 75 lbs of wheel weight, 75 lbs of 20/1 and 10/1 lead tin, 10 lbs of pure tin. Yes I have enough because i also shoot jacketed boolits.

1616s16
04-12-2013, 06:46 PM
i must have what i need. i just keep recycling it.

stiffdogg06
04-12-2013, 06:51 PM
I have 6lbs. I wonder how long that'll last me.... ***.

hickfu
04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
I have a little over 800lbs so, NO! I really have to stop selling my boolits as soon as they are cast!! I wont have any left for me...

Doc

sw282
04-26-2013, 09:45 PM
l have working out of town since Feb of last year so far collecting around 4000 pounds. My back tells me l have enough

groundsclown
04-27-2013, 05:53 PM

PJ
Stampede62153

You win LOL

Stampede
04-29-2013, 08:44 AM
I still feel lucky to find this source of lead. Now I even have renewed my casting set up in my basement. I do cast about 800 to 1200 bullets a week and selling them to others at the gun range. Plus I use them for my self, since this huge amount of lead I shoot about twice as much....:grin:

TenTea
04-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Depends how many days until I succumb to the ravages of love and time.

bslim
04-29-2013, 07:16 PM
In June of 2012 I had a little over 4000 lbs. Since then I have poured and sold over 100,000 CAS bullets to cover all of my equipment costs / needs for casting and sizing. Right now I'm over 10,000 lbs. and I fully intend to quit scrounging for any more lead. At 64 yrs. of age, I now think I have enough.

altheating
04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Hell NO ! I'm still lookin for more.

otter5555
05-01-2013, 11:27 PM
yes, lifetime supply. cast/shoot daily. nearly 3 tons of WW collected during the Clinton years.

otter

rintinglen
05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Only if I die soon.

Shedhunter
05-06-2013, 09:53 PM
I have been told I don't need anymore but most people don't understand the difference between need and want.

Bzcraig
05-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Nope.....but need to achieve this goal

Daddyfixit
05-11-2013, 02:15 AM
I don't know when my time is up...so I say NO!

louism
05-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Not sure what a lifetime supply would be. I have at my last calculation 1400 pounds +-, Will that last the rest of my life? I will still pursue WW and other sources just because, believe it or not I enjoy cleaning it up and melting it. It is a good feeling making something useful from someone's trash. Whatever I have left when I die my son will have to cast and shoot.

RacerX
05-20-2013, 12:56 AM
I got married so I would have a lifetime supply of.... wait a minute... I just read the title of this post...never mind... come to think of it, I really don't have a lifetime supply. It ran out years ago.[smilie=1:

bangerjim
05-26-2013, 01:31 PM
"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am so far behind.....I WILL NEVER DIE!"

.........so I guess the answer is.................NO!

hendere
05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
I've been getting wheel weights for free for a few years now and got used to that fast. That arrangement just stopped and I'm pretty worried. I can't bring myself to count, but I probably have about 3 or 4 hundred pounds out there. Not nearly enough. I'm working on a "big" buy of plumbing lead, but not sure yet exactly how much or the cost. I need to get looking....