PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody used Lee 105 swc or125 rf

Dave B
04-22-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm looking to find a light bullet for plinking and targets in 38 spl. I think the low recoil and less lead used would be a plus. I tried Lee's 124 tc as cast at almost .357 and best it would group was about 3 ft at 65 yds. I saw in Lee's catalog the 105 gr swc and it would be perfect or maybe the 125 gr rnd nose but, after the the 124 gr fiasco I'm not so sure. Was the dia. too small or are these short bullets difficult to stabilize? I was shooting a S&W 686 ,and it puts 38 wadcutters into about 4 inches.

Dale53
04-22-2007, 07:58 PM
My favorite bullet in the .38 for target use (I use mine in a 686, also) is a Hornady or Remington HB WC over 2.7-3.0 grs of Bullseye if you are buying bullets (much cheaper in bulk) or currently am casting a solid based WC (H&G 8 cavity mould). All shoot under an inch from the Ransom Rest at 25 yards. Fifty yards is the longest distance I shoot a Wadcutter.

For longer distances, it is appropriate to use higher velocity and a 160-170 gr SWC or currently, the Lee 158 gr RF (a terrific bullet, by the way). Lee also has Wadcutters in their excellent six cavity mould.

Now, to answer your question. I have used the Lee 105 SWC in my .380 but never felt the need for a lighter bullet in the .38 Spec. It shot well in my SigSauer P230 SS.

Dale53

garandsrus
04-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Dave B,

If you want to try some of the 105 gr SWC before you get the mold, let me know and I will send you some to try. A lot of folks like the boolit.

John

Thin Man
04-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Dave B,
Many years ago I got involved in PPC competition by accident when the agency I work for started a "friendly" grudge match with a neighboring agency. The game was for each agency to send their 8 best shooters to compete for bragging rights and a traveling trophy to keep for a year waiting on the next annual gathering. I tried several different load combinations and finally settled on the Lee 105 SWC over a light charge of Bullseye. I needed accuracy as a primary consideration, followed by light recoil for rapid target acquisition. I was shooting these loads through a completely stock 6-inch K-38. Every year that I used this load, I was the high scorer in the match, one year even posting my personal best score of 491 (500 possible). This boolit WILL group, given the right powder charge and care in loading the ammunition. Since those days, the grudge match has moved away from the firing range and over to the golf courses. With this change I dropped out of the competition. Just a sign of the times. I was always happy with the Lee 105 SWC, still have mold and use it on occasion. Try it, you'll like it!

fecmech
04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Dave--try your Lee 124 tc ahead of 3.5-3.8 grs of Bullseye. That load will pretty much hold the 10 ring on a 50 yd bullseye target out of both my K-38 and Ruger gp 100.

Ohio Rusty
04-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I've been casting some of the LEE 125 RNFP. I haven't shot them yet, but they seem to be the shooters choice in CAS. This is the bullet the wife and I want to use. I cast them straight WW's. If you want to try some of them to see how they shoot, PM me or send me your address off list at two_knives@yahoo.com and I'll send you a handfull to load and try.
Ohio Rusty

Dave B
04-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I want to thank you guys for the offers ,but after reading the Thin Mans reply I got excited and ordered both molds. You just can't have too many.

mooman76
04-26-2007, 11:42 PM
I had the Lee 105 swc and it worked great. I kind of got mad at the mould though because it didn't always like to drop the bullets out partially because they were so light but the mould must have had a burr or something. Anyway moving on I liked the bullet so much I bought a new mould. Great little plinker. Works good in 38/357 and the 9mm too and probubly the 380.