PDA

View Full Version : Babbitt experts, I need your help

Steel185
06-10-2012, 03:43 PM
I bought a ton (literally) of lead from someone moving and they had to get rid of majority of their lead. Part of that was some strange drippings the guy said was Babbitt drippings. He said it was high in tin and might have some copper but could "easily" be fluxed out. I took it with all the other stuff and threw this in the back. Now couple years later I'm gong through my stash trying to find a new source for Tin, i just ran out. I know its a long shot but can anyone identify this stuff? Attached pictures. Hardness scale is around mid 8s, but its very flaky. The raw stuff doesn't melt till above 600F, I have to use my propane burner, the electric hot plate doesn't even bother it, maxing out at 600F. I have a friend that is a professor at a college and he can run it through a test to give me the exact mixture but he won't be back in the country for another 3 months.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad113/Steel185/babbitt01.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad113/Steel185/babbitt02.jpg
the top ingot is of WW the bottom is the questionable babbitt.

40Super
06-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Melting point above 600F, sounds more like pure lead(or less than 1% tin) than any alloy. If it had any amount of tin in it,it would melt well below 600F.
As far as being flakey? Maybe just a lead/copper mix? The copper would make it harder like said 8bhn, instead of pure lead being 5.

evan price
06-11-2012, 04:19 AM
There's different grades/compositions of babbitt. Most likely based on the fact that it melts hot it is one of the hardware babbitts like #4 (most common) which is primarily lead and antimony. The generic hardware babbitts don't have hardly any tin in the alloy- which is indicated by the fact that the melt temp is not lower. #4 varies but roughly 88% Pb and 12% Sb is a good guesstimate.

There could be some copper in there based on the color highlights but it might also just be contaminants from whatever application it was used in. There might also be some arsenic.

Babbitt is one of those things that there are so many variations that if it isn't identified it's mystery metal.

lwknight
06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
I would bet on mostly lead with some who knows what in it.