PDA

View Full Version : case is scraping off lube

targetshootr
04-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Sized some of the new 429421s at .431 and got them to the range today and noticed some of the spent cases had scraped lube off the boolit. Never seen such a thing. Is the boolit too big? It's an old model 44 flat top using a new model cylinder someone installed before I bought it. Shoots pretty well otherwise.

Lloyd Smale
04-22-2007, 05:06 PM
if your gun is chambered tight and your using 431 bullets with a heavy crimp it may not be allowing the crimp to open completely and that would do it. Some of my tight chambered guns like the linebaughs will do it a little. Look at your fired brass and see if it still has a slight rolled in crimp

targetshootr
04-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks Lloyd I'll check it out. One is still lodged in the sizer die so these may have to be even bigger.

Bass Ackward
04-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Sized some of the new 429421s at .431 and got them to the range today and noticed some of the spent cases had scraped lube off the boolit. Never seen such a thing. Is the boolit too big? It's an old model 44 flat top using a new model cylinder someone installed before I bought it. Shoots pretty well otherwise.

TS,

What Lloyd said.

Also if your brass is too long under high pressure, this will cause the same thing.

And you can see this with low pressure loads with too slow powders.

Or if your bullets are too soft for the anneal on your cases.

So there can be a myriad of things here, depending on what pressure loads you were running.

targetshootr
04-22-2007, 08:01 PM
These were loaded fairly tame with 6.5 gr or so of Clays (not Univ). The brass is mixed and well used. Since it wasn't on every case I guess one chamber may be tighter or dirtier. Last night I emailed Lee about the one that got stuck in the die so l'll report what they say.

454PB
04-23-2007, 12:31 AM
I'd suggest you use a little resizing lube in that Lee die if they are sticking. I smear a little on every third boolit when sizing more than about .002".

targetshootr
04-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Anybody know Lees working hours? I assume Wisconsin is an hour behind east coast time so I called at four their time but no answer.