PDA

View Full Version : Show me your 44 mag crimp

Revolver
06-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Could some of you share pics of how much you crimp your 44 magnums? I would like to see what others are doing? I've been crimping mine on what I think is the light side, in hopes of not shotening the lifespan of my brass. Mistake? They seem to shoot good, I'd like to see what you all are crimping. Thank you.

runfiverun
06-09-2012, 10:46 PM
i put enough so i can slide my fingernail down the boolit without it catching.
i test it by leaving one [marked one] in my revolver and shooting 3 cylinders full [15 rds] with that one round in a cylinder.

williamwaco
06-09-2012, 10:57 PM
There was a long thread on this with photos about a month ago.

MtGun44
06-09-2012, 11:33 PM
OK.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=949

Bill

ku4hx
06-10-2012, 07:12 AM
OK.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=161&pictureid=949

Bill

Bingo! Mine are exactly like this.

Revolver
06-10-2012, 07:34 AM
There was a long thread on this with photos about a month ago.

I searched a few days before posting this and didn't find it. Sometimes I find it more useful to use google and use "site:castboolits.gunloads.com" to limit my query to only search this site... but still didn't find the pics. Can you please give me a link?

Bingo! Mine are exactly like this.

Ok, good, that's what mine are like. I saw some awhile back that were crimped with big deep bands that seemed like they would dramatically shorten brass lifespan.

My RCBS seating die was bottoming out on the shell holder the other day and wouldn't give the crimp I wanted. Yesterday I dug around and found a "dillon accu crimp die" and tried that in my single stage press, worked fine. I'll have to investigate that RCBS die, maybe it is for 44 special or something.

Mal Paso
06-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I use a Hornady Die with a roll crimp and .036"-.040" crush. Press ram at top of travel with cartridge in place, gently screw in die until it touches cartridge rim, lower ram and a half turn more on the die. A hair more for full house loads. .0714" per thread on a 7/8-14 die if you need to find your way back to a setting.

I've opened my sizing die .002" and that has cut down on split cartridges.

williamwaco
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I searched a few days before posting this and didn't find it. Sometimes I find it more useful to use google and use "site:castboolits.gunloads.com" to limit my query to only search this site... but still didn't find the pics. Can you please give me a link?

Ok, good, that's what mine are like. I saw some awhile back that were crimped with big deep bands that seemed like they would dramatically shorten brass lifespan.

My RCBS seating die was bottoming out on the shell holder the other day and wouldn't give the crimp I wanted. Yesterday I dug around and found a "dillon accu crimp die" and tried that in my single stage press, worked fine. I'll have to investigate that RCBS die, maybe it is for 44 special or something.

DITTO:

The search function on all these forum programs is a joke.
using a real search engine is the only way to go.