PDA

View Full Version : Any good woodworkers near me?

Muddy Creek Sam
06-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Howdy all,

I have some ruff cut Cedar and want to turn it into a new console for my Pontoon, I have equipment to do such but no talent in this area, Can't cut a straight line with a chopsaw. Anyone near by that can help?

Thanks,

Sam :D

runfiverun
06-09-2012, 05:41 PM
i'm not near you but i might could help sand it into a board.
and recut all the crooked the other way so it was worse.

smoked turkey
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Sam I wish I was closer to you because if there is anyone I would want to help it would be you. I think if you gave a little more detail in what you want someone to do, someone might come out of the woodwork (pun intended) to help. Shouldn't be too big a job if a little planer work and some tablesaw and jig saw work is what is needed.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I have a jointer and a planer and a biscuit cutter, Want to make some panels to make a console out of. Wood is ruff cut straight out of the logs.

clintsfolly
06-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Wish I was closer but MI is a long way to do a small job! The first thing is the wood dry AS in air dry or kiln dry? Green will move to much and split,twist,bow if your not real careful. Clint

Wayne Smith
06-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Sam, you have a jointer and planer but do you have a table saw? Yes, the wood does have to be dry, usually around 8-12%. That is usually how it comes out of the kiln. How long have you had it? It also needs to stabilize to the local environment.

The first thing to do is to draw out your design on graph paper, to complete detail. Then decide on how much support you need behind it and how it will be mounted. Include these details in your plan. Determine each and every cut and how you will make them. This includes rounded corners. They will have to be cut out with a band saw or scroll saw and then sanded to precise measurement. It also includes your cutouts for instruments and controls.

I years ago told my wife that, most likely, each project will involve the purchase of a new tool. I am now 59 years old and the last three projects have disappointed me - no new tools needed!

I have made a small table from 1/2"x1" strips of oak using the small Riobi biscuit joiner. The strips were cut on my table saw. Moral, you can make panels with the biscuit joiner if you want. Takes a lot of patience and sanding!

gnoahhh
06-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Having spent a lot of years as a yacht carpenter, I must, with all respect, ask if you are dead set on using cedar for these panels. It isn't the best wood to use in a marine environment. On the other hand, if its free and you want something different, why not? Just make sure you allow for plenty of wood movement (from getting wet and drying, and extremes in Carolina seasons) in your design.

flounderman
06-11-2012, 04:41 PM
if the boards are just cut from the log the ends need to be sealed or they will split as they dry.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Boards have been around here for over 20+ years, air dried in a wood shed. Was planning to seal in urethane. Have a Plastic Console insert.

Wayne Smith
06-12-2012, 07:59 AM
DO NOT use urethane, or any hard finish. The only reasonable finish is spar varnish, and build so it comes out easily cause you will be re-finishing about every year. This is what spar varnish was designed for and it works.