PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if lead is linotype?

rjh4758
06-08-2012, 09:59 PM
I made a great score on some lead. I got a 1000-1200lb chunk for $300. The lead was poured into a metal frame. I asked the guy what it was used for, he told me it was used in a low rider with hydralics to make it bounce harder:rolleyes: I asked the guy where he got all the lead. He said usually he gets it from where ever he can find it but when he poured this one he had came across 1200lbs of lead blocks with letters.

Sounds like it might be linotype and it is pretty hard. How can I tell if it is linotype? Would a hardness test be the way to tell?

bumpo628
06-09-2012, 03:21 AM
"Lead blocks with letters" sounds more like monotype.

facetious
06-09-2012, 05:50 AM
try melting some of it, lino will go from solid to liquid with out a slushy stage . When it cools it will go solid all at once.

Lloyd Smale
06-09-2012, 07:08 AM
If it is type metal your going to be doing alot of alloying in the future so its probably a good time to buck up and buy a lead hardness tester anyway. If not you can get a good idea by melting some and allow it to cool and checking the temp it melts at or it hardens at. One other way to get a fair idea is to weight a bullet youve cast from ww and cast the same bullet out of the new lead and if the new stuff is substaintialy lighter chances are you have type metal.

sqlbullet
06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
try melting some of it, lino will go from solid to liquid with out a slushy stage . When it cools it will go solid all at once.

This is probably the best indicator that is easy too achieve. If it melts like ice it is either pure lead or a eutectic like Linotype. If it melts like cookie dough, it is some other alloy.

That said the hardness test is what you need. Depleted Linotype won't melt like a eutectic but is still great to sweeten the pot with.