PDA

View Full Version : bullet out of round?

buletdoc
06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
This is first attempt to start at thread start. Have been casting since '90 without any complaints but now have one person has said bullet must be out of round. He loaded 45 230 RN from a Ballisti-Cast H&G mould sized by their Mark 5 that I got when Dennis had the company. It was in the New Orleans Shot Show. He also said that sometimes they won't feed right. Has anyone heard of this. No other complaints.

paul h
06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm suprised of that happening with a ballisticast mold as they are about as good as it gets in molds. That said, it's possible you got a small bit of lead on the face of the mold and with the mold not completely closing, bullets will be cast out of round. If you are using a sizing die that is slightly larger in dia than the bullet, then it's only going to be sizing the larger dia part of the bullet and hence the bullet will be out of round.

That said, if somebody can't get a 230 gr rn bullet to feed from a 45 auto, there is likely something wrong with their gun. Either that of they are seating the bullet improperly.

ku4hx
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Although a little less likely in the higher end and custom molds, out-of-round boolits is not all that uncommon. Sizing usually takes care of the situation unless the OOR condition is pretty extreme. Ultimately, the gun's bore will round out the boolit.

He said it was OOR ... how much? A condition where "they wont feed right" can have many causes. What exactly is happening: failure to go completely into battery, boolit nose hitting on something, or something else?

1Shirt
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I am more inclined to think it is possibly a seating/length problem.
1Shirt!

runfiverun
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
the seating/crimping die will help round out a boolit also.
it hink he has seated them out too far,or he has a very tight chamber and needs a 451 boolit [not all that uncommon] but he could fix that issue in the taper crimp die too.

Defcon-One
06-08-2012, 06:27 PM
First: It is very easy to check if a bullet is out of round. Measure it, rotate it 90 degrees and measure it again. Both measurements should be the same or very close, if not it is out of round.

Second: I have used your products without any problem and must note that you size and lube them, so I really doubt that a .45 ACP bullet sized to .452" through a good quality sizing die, like you use, is going to be out of round. Even if it came out of the mold a bit off, that would be corrected by the sizer die.

Here is what I think is going on: It is not the Bullet, it is the reloading process. The reloader needs to flare the mouth of his cases and make sure that the bullet is going in straight and square. If it is crooked, you will get a slight bulge on one side of the case that can and sometimes will prevent the cartridge from chambering.

That's my bet!

buletdoc
06-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I think it is the loader that has the problem not the bullet. Have cast litteraly thousands with no problems reported like this.

Tomuchiron
06-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I have the same problem. Mine is a oval bullet out of a round mold. Operator error. When I run the lee 6 cavity to fast and very hot. the bullets deform when they hit the slide board into the water. There is a lot of variation to the bullets . as to the force on the resizing press. But they seem to shoot fine.
Mike

Bret4207
06-11-2012, 06:09 AM
What does the guy consider out of round? Truth is, not much we run into is truly round. It's just that most of us don't worry over .001, .0017 or somewhere in there since our barrels aren't "round" either and neither are our sizers.

Likely the issue lays with the guy or the gun.

Char-Gar
06-11-2012, 06:37 AM
What does the guy consider out of round? Truth is, not much we run into is truly round. It's just that most of us don't worry over .001, .0017 or somewhere in there since our barrels aren't "round" either and neither are our sizers.

Likely the issue lays with the guy or the gun.

Dats da truth. I have measured many bullets with a mic capable of precision down to .0001. I have never measured a bullet yet that was absolutely 100 per cent dead nuts on round.

ballisti-cast
06-18-2012, 09:54 PM
I have molds cut on a CNC machine so the mold cavities are round to .0001" and still see bullets fall from the mold .0005" out of round. The casting process has too many variables in it that make it very tough to cast a perfect bullet. Size dies are ground to better then .0001" of being round though and you will get a perfectly round bullet from them as long as the bullet was big enough to size correctly.

Bret4207
06-19-2012, 06:09 AM
I have molds cut on a CNC machine so the mold cavities are round to .0001" and still see bullets fall from the mold .0005" out of round. The casting process has too many variables in it that make it very tough to cast a perfect bullet. Size dies are ground to better then .0001" of being round though and you will get a perfectly round bullet from them as long as the bullet was big enough to size correctly.

I beg to differ. I got into the checking for round thing a few years back. You don't get "perfect", not hardly ever. What you get from the best dies and moulds is small variations and that's only IF the caster realizes what he's doing. Like you said, too many variations.

Char-Gar
06-19-2012, 11:51 AM
This is first attempt to start at thread start. Have been casting since '90 without any complaints but now have one person has said bullet must be out of round. He loaded 45 230 RN from a Ballisti-Cast H&G mould sized by their Mark 5 that I got when Dennis had the company. It was in the New Orleans Shot Show. He also said that sometimes they won't feed right. Has anyone heard of this. No other complaints.

I would not take his diagnosis with much seriousness. His FTF is far more likely to be from other causes. Just because somebody tells you something does not mean it is true. People often are wrong for one reason or another.

rintinglen
06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
First blame the gun; then the components; then the weather. At last the finger of blame will point to the guilty party--usually the shooter/reloader.

Sounds like this guy only got to step two.