PDA

View Full Version : OT, A shameless plug for a group I heard today

trooperdan
04-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Anyone here a big fan of Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion radio show? I listen every Saturday and tonight they had a talent show for young new groups. I was blown away by the Sweetback sisters. Here is a link;

http://www.thesweetbacksisters.com/

They have a couple of songs on their site for free, both are good but listen to "Everlovin" and tell me how you like it! I was in the car when the voting time came, I couldn't get my vote in and the took second by 16 votes!

Actually all of the groups they had on tonight were great but this group just blew me away! Junior, I'm eager to hear your opinion of their music.

Junior1942
04-21-2007, 10:01 PM
I loved them! They're a female version of the Everly Brothers. They need a better name, however.

waksupi
04-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Good tunes. Kind of remind me of Prickly Pair, out of Wyoming. Happy stuff.

http://www.thepricklypair.com/

scroll to the bottom, and you can find some toons to listen to.

RayinNH
04-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Go to their links and click on "Val & Emily". They sound mighty fine too...Ray

Four Fingers of Death
04-22-2007, 06:10 AM
How do you get to listen to a few of their songs? I see they have a few marked MP3, I have an MP3 phone (no idea how to drive this part of it). What sort of music is it? Is it like the old Carter family hillbilly stuff?

Four Fingers of Death
04-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Whoops! My earphones finally burst into life and frightened the tripe out of me :(

Greatttttttttttttttttttttttttt moosic!!! :D

I think I like Val and Emily best. All good though.

Bret4207
04-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Love PHC, hate Garrision's politics. Another case of my being able to get beyond it and just enjoy the talent.

RayinNH
04-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Tpr. Bret, I'm the same way, but I do get a kick out of PHC. The "Guy Noir" piece is very good. The description of the damsel in distress is worth the price of admission. The one I remember most went like this, "her jeans where so tight you could read the dates on the coins in her pocket". Jeez Louise. It's also a good place to hear music that you would never get to hear otherwise...Ray