PDA

View Full Version : 200gn .45 SWC profiles

Ultravox
06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I had been buying the 200 grain SWC bullets from Missouri Bullet Company and they fed through my 1911 with absolutely no issues, no matter what magazine I used.

I recently started casting my own with the Lee 452-200-SWC mold.

They look pretty close to the MBC profile, but apparently they are not close enough. I have FTF issues with two of my four magazines.

So I guess my question is: What profile is the MBC bullet closest to? Is the Lyman 452630 closer than the Lee? Or is the RCBS 45-201-SWC closer?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

358wcf
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I too, have been a faithful user of the Missouri Bullet Co 200gr .45cal swc, have found it to be extremely accurate in my Kimber and Ed Brown 1911s, and have never experienced a FTF in any magazine. It always feeds. Absolutely reliable. Just what you want and expect- my go-to cast boolit, when I don't have time to cast my own-
Chuck
358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

paul h
06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Is it a failure to feed, or failure to fully chamber in the barrel? Did you tumble lube the bullets as cast i.e. unsized?

It's possible that the issue is one of bullet dia, not profile. I would recomend taking 50 or 100 of the lee bullets, run them through a .452" or .451" sizer and see if your feeding issues disapear.

I have that same mold and the bullets function flawlessly out of my ruger P-90, but when seating them I can tell that the as cast dia is definately on the large size.

runfiverun
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
look at the nose profile.
i'd bet that missouri uses the magma mold which is a copy of the H&G 68 mold.
the lee is closer to the lyman which uses a stubbier more square nose profile.
you'll most likely have to use a different oal to get them to feed properly.
or look at your magazines and the way it presents the round to the chamber.
the h&g design is a mimic of a ball round so is designed to work the same. [the round on the nose is in the same spot and shape as the 230 rn]
the others are designed as a swc designs.

Ultravox
06-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Is it a failure to feed, or failure to fully chamber in the barrel? Did you tumble lube the bullets as cast i.e. unsized?

It's possible that the issue is one of bullet dia, not profile. I would recomend taking 50 or 100 of the lee bullets, run them through a .452" or .451" sizer and see if your feeding issues disapear.

I have that same mold and the bullets function flawlessly out of my ruger P-90, but when seating them I can tell that the as cast dia is definately on the large size.

Failure to feed. They three-point-jam.

I size them to .452" in my lube-sizer. I taper crimp them to .469" just like the MBC bullets. They drop right into the chamber when I test them.

I will try playing with the seating depth some more, but they don't seem to feed as well as the MBC bullets.

Ultravox
06-07-2012, 02:06 PM
look at the nose profile.
i'd bet that missouri uses the magma mold which is a copy of the H&G 68 mold.
the lee is closer to the lyman which uses a stubbier more square nose profile.
you'll most likely have to use a different oal to get them to feed properly.
or look at your magazines and the way it presents the round to the chamber.
the h&g design is a mimic of a ball round so is designed to work the same. [the round on the nose is in the same spot and shape as the 230 rn]
the others are designed as a swc designs.

I know they run Magma Casting machines down there, so you are probably right.

Ultravox
06-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Hmm. I see that Lee calls their mold an H&G 68.

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-h-g-68-200-swc.html

Looks like I need to do some more comparison.

Moonie
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I have to load them so only a sliver of the shoulder is showing, more than that and some of our 1911's have feeding issues.

Bushrat
06-07-2012, 04:58 PM
My Lee mold cast great but it was alwaya a picky bullet to get to feed well. I finally went with Accurate molds copy of the H&G 68 and it feeds perfectly. Best money I have ever spent.

Inkman
06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Check your OAL on the Lee boolits.

I shot 10s of thousands MBCs 200gr LSWCs for a couple years before switching over to SNS. All loaded at 1.250 to 1.252 using Wilson 47D mags and they were flawless.

When i started casting using the Lee mold (same as yours) i noticed the nose profile was a little different and they were seating at an OAL of almost 1.259 which was way too long. Along with less pressure for the powder to burn, they had feeding issues and tumbled slightly at various distances.

Cranked the seating die down on the Dillon 550B to what was giving me an OAL of 1.255 and they fed much better but still with an occasional jam. Cranked it down to 1.250-1.252 and all feeding issues went away. The only thing i can attribute it to is the seating die pushing a different nose profile and the fact that the Lee boolits that i cast are just a very slight smidgen shorter than the MBC and SNS cast ones. I do mean very slight bit. My biggest fear was that i was going to have too much pressure built up by loading them shorter until i realized the boolit was actually a tiny bit shorter. No pressure buildups and they chrono the same as if i was loading MBC and SNS at the same length.

Hope that helps/makes sense and if not, PM me your number and we can talk.

200gr LSWCs in many different 1911s are 99% of what i have been loading and shooting for the past 5 years or so.

Al

noylj
06-07-2012, 10:21 PM
The key to the 200gn L-SWC is how close the "clone" is to the H&G #68.
I found that in my .45s, the RCBS 452-201-KT and the H&G #68 were equally accurate and I recommend any one wanting to cast, they should get the RCBS (it is much cheaper than trying to find a used H&G mold).
For the shorter nose "clones", like Lee, the magazine lips need to be adjusted to release the round earlier in the feeding stroke. Almost all current 1911 magazines will feed it, but not all.
Then, there are the button-nose WCs. For some, they are more accurate than the H&G #68. For me, they were a complete failure.
I shoot as-cast and LLA tumble-lubed. Never had any problem with leading. It will be a "cold day in ----" before I size any bullet without a VERY good reason. Since I have been shooting as-cast, unsized bullets since at least 1980, I doubt that there will ever be a reason...

Old Caster
06-07-2012, 11:11 PM
The Saeco 068 (bevel base) and 069 (flat base) are correct also. The lee has a smaller diameter nose than the Saecos and might make the difference in your gun but someone in the know should be able to fix it so it will run with any of these bullets. -- Bill --

Ultravox
06-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all your input. I will play with the OAL some more and see if I can get these to feed better.