PDA

View Full Version : Sugamo Prison

WILCO
06-07-2012, 09:43 AM
It was mentioned in another thread that a Castboolits member had a relative who served at Sugamo Prison. It was also mentioned that this relative had difficulty as a result of such service. I've never heard of this prison or it's purpose before today. Out of respect, I took a moment to learn and reflect on such sacrifice. I'm very grateful for the strength of real men when it comes to doing the business and deeds of war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugamo_Prison

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-06/08/content_449596.htm

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=155113

Ramar
06-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks WILCO,
Ramar

FISH4BUGS
06-07-2012, 06:14 PM
He was the executioner at Sugamo....a consummate professional soldier. His crew took measurements of every man that was to be hanged (height, neck circumference, weight) and calculated the proper distance, the rope weight and length, the type of noose, in order to kill humanely and instantly. He would receive the signed orders to carry out "the duties" and his crew would go to work. I have some of his notes for those executions and much in the way of Japanese War Crimes Trials memorabilia.
I was born in Japan and after the trials and executions were done, my dad was involved in any military executions anywhere in the world. I talked with some of his fellow surviving Sugamo soldiers many years ago and they all told me that he always sat with the "padre" after every execution and talked with him.
My dad died at age 43 from acute alcoholism. He was tortured by those images of the people he killed. He told me of one man in the early 50's that cried out loud that he was innocent, begged my dad not to kill him, and they had to strap him to a board to hang him. My dad went on a one week bender after that.
That is why I said he died as surely as being killed in combat. Just a different kind of combat.
Thanks for your kind words.....your links brought back names I had forgotten. I have the autographs of many of those executed.
The prized possession is Tojo's arrest record with his mugshot and fingerprints. Tokyo Rose autograph, and the last thoughts and hand done portrait of the 7 hanged on dec 23rd. This was done by my dad's orderly, F. Fujiki.

DIRT Farmer
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for posting. Yet more history I didn't know.

smoked turkey
06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Boy this gets me down deep. This is a side of war I had never thought of. Fish4bugs my heart goes out to you. I know there is a special place in Heaven for people like your dad. Your dad was in combat, just a different kind as you say.

WILCO
06-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks for your kind words.....

You're welcome. Thank you for sharing this story about your father. It's important to know the stories behind the service. You're correct about it being a different kind of combat. Your father is a strong man for doing his duty, even when it wasn't his will. I'm thankful and grateful for such courage.

captain-03
06-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a piece of history that should not be lost to the ages .... write a book in his memory and honor ..... history should not die ...

Junior1942
06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Boy this gets me down deep. This is a side of war I had never thought of. Fish4bugs my heart goes out to you. I know there is a special place in Heaven for people like your dad. Your dad was in combat, just a different kind as you say.+1 on that. Now excuse me while I go wipe my eyes....

41 mag fan
06-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Hate to say it, but we need that type of justice brought back again....lots of Al-Queda that need their necks stretched, that are sitting in prisons right now.

i'm sure executioners have short lives, and torrid nightmares. I don't think I could do it, like your father did Fish4bugs...it would of been an honor to of met him and listened to his stories.

FISH4BUGS
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Sounds like a piece of history that should not be lost to the ages .... write a book in his memory and honor ..... history should not die ...

I have a book outlined in my head. If I ever write it it will be titled "The Duties" as the hangings were called.
My mother is still alive. We talk about this from time to time in some detail and she says that "...she is the only one still alive that knows where Tojo's ashes were scattered".
I have a small handmade book of thanks signed by every prisoner in the entire "B" cellblock thanking Lt. (at that time) Coker for his help in getting a shinto shrine for their religious ceremonies in their cell block. Some of their thanks are truly touching. I dig it out from time to time and read it as I have been doing for some 50+ years now.
I have no doubt my father did his duty without hesitation and professionally just as McArthur commanded, yet he was a still a compassionate man.
All of you are so kind to honor my father with your thoughts. He gave his life for his country.
Heros....all of them.

pmeisel
06-09-2012, 08:25 PM
May God bless -- a man who did a tough job that had to be done.