PDA

View Full Version : Diver weights

Rooster931
06-06-2012, 08:03 PM
I was just given some older dive weights. I am sure someone here is familiar with them. Any idea how they would rate on hardness. Appears to be pure lead however being a newby I do not have a tester, I usually use recovered range lead for casting and I am not to familiar with the other forms. Thanks

bumpo628
06-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the forum.

There is no way to tell what they are since whoever cast them probably used whatever they had on hand at the time. I have heard of pure, ww, and lino being used. Since they are old, they are likely pure lead. The only way to really tell is to test and melt them.

Try dropping one on concrete. If pure, it should make a "thud" noise.
If it makes a ringing noise, then it is alloyed with something.

imashooter2
06-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Yep, diving weights are made of "heavy stuff that melts."

Rooster931
06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I definately get a ring when they are dropped so i agree some type of alloy. Not a thud. I have melted some into ingots and I will test them. My mentor has located his hardness tester and we are going to try a few. I think I have him more excited than I am about this new hobby. He has made thousands and I mean thousands of bullets in the past and he doesnt shoot anymore but I think he has been at my house 10x in the past few wekks.