PDA

View Full Version : XM or Sirius?

waksupi
04-20-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm looking into getting a satellite radio, as many areas around here, there is zero radio reception. What are your experiences with these services? XM looks to have better stations available. Both seem to be about the same cost.

longhorn
04-20-2007, 10:36 PM
I've had XM for about 8 months, and I enjoy the devil out of it! But don't rush--XM and Sirius are about to merge, pending FCC approval. XM ads currently claim currents subscribers will see no $ increase and current equipment will continue to work, and get more channels. You might check their websites for updates.

waksupi
04-20-2007, 11:39 PM
I'd heard some rumblings about that, but didn't recall which way the merger was goingto swing. I'll check in on them on the web. Google, here I come!

454PB
04-21-2007, 12:22 AM
I've had XM for over three years. I have it in my car, and also base units in my reloading room and garage. I got it because I like talk radio, and on trips I can stay on the same station clear across the country. I just renewed my subscription for another year today. It's getting more expensive, now $11 per month.

I think there are about 170 channels now, and every music gendre imaginable.

Since you're in mountainous country, you may have some channel fade at times. It takes a pretty steep hill and close to the vehicle to happen, but it does happen.

BCB
04-21-2007, 07:06 AM
waksupi,

I went to Sirius Satellite Radio about 6 months before Howard Stern went to this media. Yep, I listen to Howard and get a good laugh a few times in the mornings. I figure a few laughs a day may help me get to retirement and no more of the work #$&*%$#$@@$...

I listen to ½ dozen stations predominately. I am a product of the 60’s and 70’s and grew up with all the social stuff that happened throughout those times. So, you know the type of music I listen to. I ain’t a county music fan, but a couple of the stations offered are O.K. and I do listen to them very occasionally—it is mostly old country. Plenty of talk shows—left or right—of which I don’t listen to either. Many sports channels—and sports don’t mean anything to me—so they are absolutely wasted space. So, I guess the rock music is the main thing.

The other part of Sirius that I like is being able to listen to it on the Internet. That is part of the price paid monthly for the satellite service. I am listening to it right now.

I have the portable receiver that is held in place by a suction cup that fastens to the window. It has a power source in the cigarette lighter and an antenna that plugs into the side. I just let the antennas lay on the dash of the vehicle—it works O.K. inside. I purchased the same mounting/power/antenna system and put that in my work vehicle. At the end of the week, I unhook the receiver and hook it into my personal vehicle for the weekend—that is very convenient.

Now the merger. Stern, who is a big owner (?), at least a big share holder, is in favor of the merger. Monopoly? I don’t know. It appears the merger will not cause undo equipment changes with the users. If it does, I will be really disappointed, and as much as I love satellite radio, I don’t know how many of these equipment expenses would be acceptable. BUT, the fact is, that once you listen to satellite radio, YOU AIN’T GOING BACK TO a.m. OR f.m. RADIO—PERIOD…

I purchase it by the year and forget about it. They take it out of my credit card automatically—it is about the only thing I use a credit card for! So, if you are in an area with limited terrestrial radio reception, satellite is the way to go—I hope I am never without it. Good-luck…BCB

A channel listing: http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ChannelLineup&cid=1139320914821

No_1
04-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I have the Sirius system. I bought into it about 2 years ago with the yearly subscription figuring that if I did not like it I would let it lapse. When it came time to renew, I did the lifetime subscription (~$500) which means no more payments. This subscription allows me to change recievers 5 times (in case of failure). I figure at the going rate of about $140 per year, I am ahead once 4 years are up. Anyway, like the others say I listen to the same channels while driving cross town, state or country and there are enough channels that I can always find something I like. I will never go back to conventional radio.....

Robert

BCB
04-21-2007, 10:12 AM
no 1,
When I first subscribed, I knew of the lifetime subscription but I thought it was only for the life of my present reciever...I was scared of that and opted for the yearly subsriptions. The next time I must renew, or I suppose I could actually check now, I will go for the lifetime rates if, indeed, I can use it for 5 reciever failures--what are the odds of that??? Thanks for the info...BCB

TDB9901
04-21-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm into my second year of XM, like it a lot. We don't have much for radio reception here either.

It was a lifesaver on my bike ride to Alaska last summer, receptiion started getting spotty in the Yukon, and by the time I got to the Ak border it was broken enough that I shut it off, but it was sure nice for well over half of the trip up and back.

It will be interesting to see what the merger brings.

No_1
04-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Exactly! The one I have now is 2 years 5 months old. If it goes bad in the next year or 2 the it will be 3-4 years old. I still have 4 reciever #'s left and if each of those last 2-3 years then I will have been in their pocket for many years freeeee!
I believe if you check their website, you can upgrade to the lifetime and they will prorate the cost based on what you have used of your present subscription. Do read the fine print in case they have changed their mind since the time that I did it.

Robert

Don't get me started on cell phones....

no 1,
When I first subscribed, I knew of the lifetime subscription but I thought it was only for the life of my present reciever...I was scared of that and opted for the yearly subsriptions. The next time I must renew, or I suppose I could actually check now, I will go for the lifetime rates if, indeed, I can use it for 5 reciever failures--what are the odds of that??? Thanks for the info...BCB

Bret4207
04-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Howard Stern is involved in the ownership? That settles it for me. I'll NEVER, EVER buy into it now! I'm not black and white on a lot of things, but HS is one of the few. To me he's even worse than Hillary.

BCB
04-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Holy Mackerel Trp. Bret!, I really ain’t certain the Stern is an owner, but I do know he owns beaucoup shares of the Sirius stock. I certainly don’t agree or disagree with much of what his show does, yet sometimes his politics might surprise some if they listened to him on a regular basis. I suspect he supports Hillary somewhat, but if Giuliani (sp.) was running, he indicates he would be his candidate.

Regardless, I sure didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers by mentioning Stern. I suspected it might just from the nature of the board though. Hell, I’m a gun owner and shooter myself!!! So I certainly don’t want anymore gun control.

But, I remember from over 40 years ago, a high school teacher that I had stated, “It is dangerous, and not well thought out, to pick a candidate on a one issue basis.” Yet, I guess most of us probably do.

Back to cast boolits…BCB

454PB
04-22-2007, 12:07 PM
My first litmus test for any candidate is their position on gun control legislation. It might seem narrow minded, but there it is.

Gulliani is pro more restrictive gun control. Too bad, because I like him other than that. I can not vote for him.

Bret4207
04-23-2007, 05:59 AM
BCB- You misundesrstand. It's not Sterns polotics, fo which I have no idea wha they are. It's HIM! You know how sometimes you just lok at someone and dis-like them? Bingo! Thats me and Howard. And Hillary.

Come to think on it, they might not care much for me either. Enjoy what you will, that guy and his type of "entertainment" just rubs me the wrong way. No offense
to you that like that type of stuff intended.