PDA

View Full Version : Bullet choice for reduced 44 load?

happy7
04-20-2007, 08:06 PM
I have played around with very reduced loads in my redhawk. I tried several powders but settled on 1.5 grains of trailboss under a 240 grain lead swc. This always excited reliably from the barrel and recoil and noise are minimal which is fun. Accuracy is not terrible but could use improvement, and I was reading different threads and started wondering if a lighter bullet would not stabilize better at this low speed, and also if a bullet design with a long bearing surface would be better or not. I am interested in experimenting with this but thought I would pump this group for advice before I go investing in a variety of bullets or buy a new mold. Any ideas?

felix
04-20-2007, 08:17 PM
The typical 44-40 boolit at 200-210 grains would be perfect. However, make sure the mold delivers the diameter needed. Full wadcutters would be most accurate at this weight, but the fun will go down hill rapidly when loading them into the cylinders. They catch on everything. Go to at least 3.5 grains of trailboss to get better accuracy. ... felix

Sundogg1911
04-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a magma 215 grain mould that works nice for reduced loads. I really like it for .44 special too. I can't remember how much powder, but I use 2400. i'll have to look through my data book

454PB
04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
One of the most accurate light boolits for .44 special is the Lee 215 gr. hollowpoint. The hollowpoint design is not listed anymore, but the 429-214-SWC is, and it's the same boolit.

fecmech
04-20-2007, 10:18 PM
I have the bullet 454 mentioned in the previous post. I have not loaded it as low as you have gone but it has been very accurate for me right at 900 fps. The 2 loads I use are either 7 grs of 231 or the same amount of green dot. The 231 is just a hair more accurate in my gun( Ruger SBH) but both will group less than 3"@ 50 yds. I see no reason why it would not shoot well in the 600-700fps range, it's pretty much a .44 cal version of the 200 .45 target swc.

beagle
04-21-2007, 01:37 AM
You might try the old Lyman 429383 or a Lyman 429251. Both of these are RN bullets and shoot extremely accurately at lower speeds.

Any of the 200 grain bullets such as the 427098 (if the diameter is big enough) work great.

Then, round balls are another option for low noise, light loads./beagle

Ohio Rusty
04-21-2007, 10:25 AM
1.5 grains of TB under a 240 grainer? That is really interesting !! I have been in contact with Hogdons several time about the 'lack of data' for Trail Boss, and was asking about loads for my .44 special. Their reply was "Absolutely do not use any other loads or bullets than we have listed". I'm sure your load is not in their 'load data book'. I'm assuming because of the newness of the powder, that alot of good load data hasn't been established yet compared to all the Bullseye and Unique loads listed. I'm currently getting ready to load some 208 grain wadcutters in my .44 specials using TB powder. I too am looking for those light comfortable loads, as these rounds will be fired from my .44 snub nose and I'm not real interested in breaking my wrist every time I shoot the thing. In the last casting session, I also cast up a bunch of .429 round ball and I'm getting ready to load those in my .44 special empties to see how nicely they shoot. I'm going to start at 3.0 grains of Trail Boss, and if that seems a little stout, I may well back down to 2.5 or even 2.0 gradually until I find a nice load that is fun to shoot all day. I'll coat the ball with Lee Alox so they are lubed. I'll post more data after this weekends lead lobbing.
Ohio Rusty

Springfield
04-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Why don't you get the 160 grain SWC 44 bullet mould currently running on this board? It is speced to drop at .434. It is long for it's weight due to the Big Lube groove.

Ohio Rusty
04-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Great idea Springfield !! That may be perfect !! Will I find that in the group buy section and how does one jump in on the purchase?
Ohio Rusty

Edward429451
04-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I've ran Lymans old 180 gr WC with 10.0 gr of 2400 out of my RH. Recoil like a 22. Yeah the cases get sooty but they're fun & pretty darn accurate.

MT Gianni
04-21-2007, 01:28 PM
What is the fasination with Trail Boss? It was developed to have a 60% case capacity used and BP velocities. 60% eliminates the double charge possibilities. It certainly isn't cheap in the cost per shot load. I don't shoot CASS but don't see the fasination with it. Lots of powders go bang but may not be the best application for use. Bullseye has beeen around and gives the velocitys wanted with a ton of data. Gianni.

felix
04-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Same principle as for 4759, big kernals with lots of air to grab spark. SEE possibilities extemely rare as a result. No need for fillers in the larger cases (within reason). ... felix

Ohio Rusty
04-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Other than filling the case better, Trail Boss powder is highly reccomended for use with cast boolits. So far, the reports on the 'net say that Trail Boss also burns extremely clean. Sounds like a good powder to try based on the info I've read.
Ohio Rusty

Springfield
04-21-2007, 06:20 PM
I use Trail Boss for my wife's smokeless Cowboy loads in 45 Colt, my brother's also. Feels just like my old Clays loads but no chance of a double fill. No soot on their cases using a middle of the road load. Not much recoil compared to other powders like Titegroup.

Bass Ackward
04-21-2007, 07:14 PM
I'll coat the ball with Lee Alox so they are lubed. I'll post more data after this weekends lead lobbing. Ohio Rusty

One thing to consider instead of LLA is RCBS case lube.

MT Gianni
04-21-2007, 07:45 PM
I have played around with very reduced loads in my redhawk. I tried several powders but settled on 1.5 grains of trailboss under a 240 grain lead swc. This always excited reliably from the barrel and recoil and noise are minimal which is fun. Accuracy is not terrible but could use improvement, and I was reading different threads and started wondering if a lighter bullet would not stabilize better at this low speed, and also if a bullet design with a long bearing surface would be better or not. I am interested in experimenting with this but thought I would pump this group for advice before I go investing in a variety of bullets or buy a new mold. Any ideas?

I guess I should qualify my statement as to is this the best for 1 1/2 gr. loads? I say no use a shotgun or pistol powder for that velocity. Gianni.

Lloyd Smale
04-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Ive shot round balls loaded with 1 grain of bullseye. I lube them with alox. ITs probably not nessisary for leading but i figure there a little slicker that way and it makeds it eaiser to clear the barrel.

happy7
04-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for everyone's replys. They have been very helpful.

This load is quiet enough in my marlin to shoot without hearing protection. It is a little louder in my redhawk. I should say that if you experiment with loads this low, you have to make sure they exit the end of the barrel reliably. and I was using 44 Russian brass, so 1.5 grains may not exit in mag brass

Your group buy sounds interesting Springfileld. I may take you up on that.

Mt. Gianni: In terms of burn rate it is my understanding that trailboss is quite fast close to green dot on the chart. However, I was having difficulty measuring such a small amount of powder with bullseye. Trail boss meters nicely for me at this charge in my dillon measure with the x-small bar. Plus, since it is such a small charge, I figured the extra bulk would be a plus.

Ohio, please post the results of your round ball experiment. I am very interested in that.

lar45
04-22-2007, 12:04 PM
One thing to consider instead of LLA is RCBS case lube.
Bass, do you roll your bullets on the lube pad and stand up to dry? Sounds interesting.

I like the 429421 for light and regular loads.(250 SWC) I've loaded it with WC820 to around 850fps in my 44Bisley and had pretty good accuracy. I only shot at 25 and 50 yds, so I don't know what it will do farther out. It shoots pretty good at 1300fps also.

BTW, I now have Liquid Alox in 32 and 8 oz bottles if anyone needs any.
Liquid Xlox 32 oz bottle $7.44 can fit 5 in a flat rate box.
Liquid Xlox 8 oz bottle $2.25 can fit 19 In a flat rate box. The 8 oz pump is $.75.
1-32oz parcel post $6.50, more than that will be $8.65 in the flat rate box.
These prices are about 1/2 what is listed on my site, so if you order, be sure and let me know you're on the cast boolit forum. 32oz-$13.50, 8oz-$4.

I don't have a liscence to use the Alox name, so I have it listed as Liquid Xlox.

Bass Ackward
04-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Bass, do you roll your bullets on the lube pad and stand up to dry? Sounds interesting.

Yes Sir, I do. Mostly for sizing though. If you find yourself in a situation where PB bullets are leading up your die and changing diameters, this puts a stop to that. And you can size the hardest bullets much easier.

But it works great for round balls and it's a less sticky option than LLA. That was what I was commenting on. It also works for a bore prep and prevents leading on clean guns saving from having to load some squib stuff to foul things up.

I am using it on bore rides now instead of LLA.