PDA

View Full Version : Questions from the non-caster....

41mag
04-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Ok, the closest thing I have ever come to casting a bullet is pouring my own fishing weights and that, other than some 4-6oz surf weights, was a dismal waist of time and effort.

So, here we go.

I shoot a LOT of 41mag through the year. I have found that the Oregon trail bullets shoot very well from my RH and even the top end loads do not foul. Problem is they are the 215gr SWC design. I shoot feral hogs most of the time and these things for the most part zip right on through reguardless of the load, and aren't much in the stopping dept. I also shoot their 158gr .357 FN which does a great job on the internals, but are lacking in the power dept.

I have quite a few of the Oregon trail bullets on hand. If I were to get a mold made could these bullets be melted and recast and still have the same qualities as the original bullet where the fouling would not be an issue?

If this is possible, how much would generally be charged for someone to do this ?

Basically I would like to have the flat nose bullet and also be able to use up the bullets I have on something more productive than punching paper.

Thanks,

felix
04-20-2007, 07:10 PM
No problem if done locally. Cost prohibitive when going both ways would be. ... felix

45nut
04-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Why not try altering the noses of the ones you have in some way..HP or a X cut deep into the nose might pay off.

41mag
04-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Felix,
Yea the shipping had crossed my mind. Hopes were to possibly find out about the lead and mold, then hopefully find someone reasonably close to get with.

45nut,
My bud has a fully equipped machine shop but at the present time the machines have yet to be leveled and indicated, from a recent move. I had thought of making up a nose punch once he gets things up and running. The other idea we had was building a template, which we could load a number of them into then use a center drill to put in a deep hollow point. The only problem I am thinking is that the material is hard and we might get fractures instead of a mushroom effect.

But thats part of the fun of it I guess. I just wish there was more of a market for the 41 caliber bullets., so folks would offer a few more choices in styles.

Thanks.

arkypete
04-20-2007, 09:29 PM
What sort of loading press do you have?
You might be able to get Dave Corbin to make you a die that supports the bullet, while a star shaped nose punch comes down and swages a large star shaped hollow point in the bullet.
You will need to lubricate the bullet, with swaging lube, and the die will be a bit larger then the current bullet. Lets say your bullet is .429, you die would be .431.
Read an article a lot of years ago about doing this with cast bullets.
This is the process that makes Gpld Dot bullets.
Jim

GLynn41
04-21-2007, 01:42 AM
You might also consider --practice with what you got and get some thing to hunt with-- if you like swc or the Keith style--Leadheads has one with a larger meplat --so it ought to do better on the wild piggies-- it weighs 230 gr-- then there are the many LBT styles- some weigh 220 gr and up --Just a thought--btw never shot a pig but all I have in handguns are .41's so I like your calibur choice

Buckshot
04-21-2007, 05:33 AM
............I'm sure that drilling a HP into those commercial cast boolits wouldn't do you much good. Likely the nose would merely shatter. Since you're using these for hunting and not just plinking or target shooting, I'd suggest a custom caster. My recommendation is you get ahold of Bullshop.

He's a custom caster and not only varies designs, but can use specific alloys, lubes and sizes. Just click on his link at the bottom of the page or shoot him a PM here.

.................Buckshot

kywoodwrkr
04-21-2007, 08:55 AM
41mag,
Research the site some and you'll find a critter by handle of Bullshop.(See below link!)
Contact him, or another commercial caster and see what they can provide for you to use.
Be specific in what you want and or expect.
Then once you settle on a product, either continue to buy or optionally set up and cast your own.
If you decide to cast your own read about Bullshops Bullplate for the moulds.
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3873
Welcome aboard and don't hesitate to ask and or answer any question you might have or be able to comment on.
DaveP kywoodwrkr
Heck, I didn't read all of Buckshot's answer!
Make this just another endorsement in that situation.
D.

Leftoverdj
04-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Leading is less a function of hardness than of proper fit. Those you have could be melted down and cut with WW to get the hardness down then recast. Shipping would be greater than the melt value of the bullets you have, and most of us won't do casting for hire because of legal considerations.

Were I asked to do such job as a favor for a local acquaintance, I'd consider a couple of pounds of lead free soldier or a quart of Meyer's rum a reasonable token of appreciation for a thousand or so bullets.

PPpastordon
04-21-2007, 08:56 PM
"Problem is they are the 215gr SWC design. I shoot feral hogs most of the time and these things for the most part zip right on through reguardless of the load, and aren't much in the stopping dept. I also shoot their 158gr .357 FN which does a great job on the internals, but are lacking in the power dept."

41mag;
How big are those feral hogs?
From my experience - which might not be the best - I think each of your boolits are a little light for hogs. The only weight I found useable in .357 was 180 grain. As much as I like the .357, I never found what I considered good, or even consistantly acceptable boolit.
I plead to a surplus of ignorance with the .41. However, in the .44 the lightest weight we considered acceptably was a Keith at about 260-265 grains in WDWW from an RCBS 250-Keith. My friend and I agreed the commercially cast 240 Keith .44 (next lightest available we had at the time) wasn't enough. A similar weight was the lightest we found acceptable in the .45. I would think at best a 245-250 for the .41.
For us it was an apples to oranges comparison - home WDWW to commercial, lighter and a bit softer. Also it is all our opinion.
Opinions are more prevalent that belly-buttons. Everybody has more than one opinion and knows what to do with each one, but nobody knows what to do with their one and only belly-button. :drinks:
Just shootin' my best shot! :Fire: