PDA

View Full Version : Hot And Cold Molds

coat
06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Will i get a bigger boolit in size when i run my pot and mold to Hot are to cold thanks [smilie=b:

leftiye
06-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Too cold - shiny & wrinkled, Too hot - frosty. Biggest boolits probly when 700 degree alloy makess slightly frosted boolits (manipulate mold temperature). Heavy frosting causes led to pull away from mold as it cools (lead touching mold doesn't freezeand whole boolit shrinks instead of pulling molted lead in from sprue puddle), - smaller boolits despite mold expanding. Cast with mold heater to control mold temp.

williamwaco
06-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Will i get a bigger boolit in size when i run my pot and mold to Hot are to cold thanks [smilie=b:

It depends.

Maybe yes. Maybe No.

See this chart:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_Bullet-diameter-vs-temp.htm

06-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Williamwaco.
That link (think you've posted it before) goes to show that, like so many other aspects of casting boolits, there are very few definite answers, and almost all of our sought-after information will only be gained by experimentation.

Lizard333
06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
There's a lot to be said by just doing it. Best way to learn.

44man
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Mold cavities shrink more when too hot, smaller boolits!

williamwaco
06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks, Williamwaco.
That link (think you've posted it before) goes to show that, like so many other aspects of casting boolits, there are very few definite answers, and almost all of our sought-after information will only be gained by experimentation.

Some member here has the signature "Everything is a guess until you pull the trigger."

I have found that you can almost never be sure what is going to happen until you try it.