PDA

View Full Version : Cheap scale

Longone
06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm looking for the cheapest and maybe a little accurate scale so I can get the WW, linotype weights at least close in the alloy. Tried the bathroom scale and apparently it's tired from me stepping on it.

What do you guys use?

Thanks Longone

Defcon-One
06-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Walmart has a variety of Chinese made (unfortunately) digital scales. They run on batteries and can weight up to 10 lbs., some more. Accurate in pounds, ounces, grams, or Kilograms and inexpensive.

They probably have a larger version for bigger batches, too!

alfloyd
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Try this one from Horbou Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/70-lb-32-kg-digital-postal-scale-95069.html

Lafaun

Longwood
06-05-2012, 09:03 PM
I got the one HArbor Freight sells directly from china for a lot less.

ebay.

9V or 110

Alan in Vermont
06-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I got a 35 pound postage scale off fleabay. The official scales at the USPO agree with it so I guess it is accurate enough for about any use.

Longone
06-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Didn't even think of Haba Freight. They got something form everyone. Gotta love them folks.

Thanks.

Longone

Norbrat
06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
40kg hanging scale, $3.15 posted. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20g-40Kg-Digital-Hanging-Luggage-Fishing-Weight-Scale-/330719437103?pt=US_Pocket_Digital_Scales&hash=item4d006a212f

Got a couple of these and they work fine.

runfiverun
06-06-2012, 01:01 AM
i use either the bathroom scale or a cheapo food scale thats marked in oz's and goes up to 10 lbs.
great for making lube too.
as long as it's repeatable that's what matters.

evan price
06-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Look on eBay and grab a postage scale. I used a Digiweigh 50-lb max digital for years for everything from alloy blending, shipping car parts and brass, weighing my pets, etc. Still got it and it works fine even after getting a little melty from too-hot ingots getting put on the tray.

I tried an old Goodwill bathroom scale for heavy stuff but they are really not accurate enough, and 5-gallon buckets of wheel weights dented in the top of it to the point it wasn't accurate anymore.

Scales are great things to have. I use a 660-lb electronic bench scale for big lead box lots, and keep a Pelouze stainless-steel 250-lb mechanical "suitcase" scale in the truck for buying buckets of brass or lead. There's a Toledo balance scale in the barn I haven't used in years, it's too big and cumbersome.

Those cheap postage scales are sure handy. They are not the world's most accurate at very small changes- mine will measure in .2 ounce increments and no finer- but it's good enough for this, and you can get one for usually about $20 or less with free shipping. Make sure it has a TARE function so you can stack one alloy, TARE, then stack another alloy. Saves unloading ingots.

Alternatively, I found a nice little Jenny Craig Health-O-Meter kitchen diet scale at the Goodwill the other day that I keep for checking Pewter at, well, Goodwill stores. Cost $2 and tax. Only weighs 3-4 pounds max. But it works good for small stuff.

Iron Mike Golf
06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I use a 5 lb digital scale for flea markets, thrift sotres and such for weighing pewter pieces before commencing to haggle.

I have a 70 lb digital one from Harbor Freight for weighing out metals for making alloy, weighing ingot lots, etc. Both read down to 1/10 oz.

fredj338
06-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Old postal scales or food scales from 5-10# range.

shooting on a shoestring
06-08-2012, 08:35 AM
I use an old clock face spring powered 25 lbs utility scale. It has about a 5" square "pan" on top of it, comes from the 60s-70s. I see them lots of time in "antique" shops, goodwill and such places. Priced anywhere from nearly free to hundreds $. Dad picked mine up for a couple of bucks.

1longshot
06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Being of the what if SHTF mentality at times, I purchased this one today. For mixing alloys, weighing ingots ect. No batteries required.

https://www.scalesonline.com/p/4356/816965001590

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_31574fd38addab77b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5530)

chuckdog
06-09-2012, 02:42 PM
if your like me and have more time than money, build yourself a balance beam scale. like what lady justice uses. then make yourself some standard weights. done carefully it will be very accurate, and simple to use. it can also be scaled up or down far any weight needed

lwknight
06-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Well , you did say " cheap" and there are a few out there.
I use a digital refrigerant scale with a 100# capacity.
Accurate to 1/4 oz when used under 40-50 pound range.
These go for a little over 100 bucks.

mdi
06-10-2012, 11:52 AM
I use a digital fish scale from Cabelas. I made a weighing pan from a plastic bowl and three pieces of small chain and a "grenade ring", large split ring. I hold the scale and place the lead in the bowl. Works for me...

Valley Forge
06-11-2012, 01:41 AM
I have been very happy with a digital counting scale I bought from Global. It's good for up to sixty pounds and it's accurate enough that I can quickly weigh and/or count quantities components like boolits or even gas checks. I think I spent about $90 for it a few years ago and it was money very well spent.

**oneshot**
06-12-2012, 07:57 AM
I use a "food scale" I picked up at walmart.

Longwood
06-21-2012, 02:15 AM
I gave away my RCBS scale a while back then when I needed another scale, I was shocked at what the good balance beams were now selling for.
I looked on ebay and bought a small digital grain scale and another that weighs up to 72 pounds.
I wanted another beam scale and not knowing how bad the Lee scales are, I bought one.
I began looking for better scale the next day after receiving it.
I finally bought a near new Pacific off of ebay for a little over $14 + shipping.
I don't care for their pan so I recalibrated it to work with a Lyman funnel pan combo.
It sure beats the heck out of the worthless Lee scale that cost more.

nwellons
06-25-2012, 08:00 AM
I already had a luggage scale (which will quickly pay for itself if you have to check baggage) that has a clip to go through the luggage handle. I just put it through partially filled 5 gallon bucket handles and lift. Mine is digital and accurate. More expensive than others mentioned if you had to buy it outright (near $20) but a great deal if you already have one.