PDA

View Full Version : Pickled eggs, beets with onions!

WILCO
06-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Just whipped up a batch. Gonna be hard waiting five days........ [smilie=l:

Dframe
06-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Sounds delicious.

Longwood
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I toss in a jar of the little pickled cocktail onions for effect.
They take on some of the beet collar and look really cool and taste good with the eggs.
My mouth is watering,,,, where is the grocery list?

ErikO
06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I found a food co-op that sells a Buffalo pickled egg jar that is awesome.

My wife prefers my pickled egg addiction to the pickled red cabbage.

Jailer
06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
mmmmmmm......pickled eggs

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/pickledeggs.jpg

leftiye
06-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Jalapeno juice, the only thang needed for the best pickled eggs.

Longwood
06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Joe Jost's of Long Beach CA.
Over seven million pickled eggs sold.
They must know something,
Their secret ingredient is Turmeric.
Add a heaped table spoon to a gallon of eggs for a pretty gold color and a special taste that will make your friends jealous.

troy_mclure
06-06-2012, 02:23 AM
I prefer beeted eggs, use a mix of 50/50 beet juice and pickle juice.

x101airborne
06-06-2012, 08:43 AM
I would like to try to make some eggs. Could anyone share a proven recipe with me either publicly or by PM?

Echo
06-06-2012, 08:55 AM
*1 for recipes...

Reg
06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Gas mask city !!!!!!!!!!!!

:bigsmyl2:

gbrown
06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I do not have any recipes, but we always saved the liquid from commercial dill pickles, added a small can of whole jalepenos with liquid and about 1/4 cup vinegar. This is in a quart jar. Let 'em sit for about a week.

Longwood
06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Gas mask city !!!!!!!!!!!!

:bigsmyl2:

Wrong color,,,,

Should be a sickening green, with tinges of purple.
Chili and beer helps "Clear the area" later.

Longwood
06-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I believe there are recipe's in the Betty Crocker book.
Better Homes and Garden cook book has a simple beet pickle recipe.
I guarantee that there are good recipe's on Google.

I have one recipe that just uses commercial pickled beet juice, a couple sticks of cinnamon, whole allspice and cloves.
Add boiled and peeled eggs and heat it until not quite boiling then chill.

Another one uses non pickled, canned beets, and heating till boiling then simmering ten minutes with pretty much the same ingredients plus with sugar and white vinegar.

I have eaten a lot of regular pickled eggs and, the best hands down, had Turmeric added.
I make a gallon at a time because my friends like them as much as I do.:groner:
I like them made with a jar of the cocktail onions and a jar of yellow wax peppers, juice and all.
No garlic at my house but if you like the nasty stuff and insist on stinking from both ends,,,, go for it.

wilded
06-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Here is my favorite pickled egg recipe. ET

British Pub Pickled Eggs

Ingredients
• 12 hard-boiled eggs
• 4 cups of malt vinegar
• 1 finely chopped chili pepper
• 10 black peppercorns
• 10 whole cloves
• 3 cinnamon sticks
• 2 tsp of allspice
Method
1. Peel the hard-boiled eggs, allow them to cool and then place them in a large clean jar.
2. Heat the vinegar and the spices in a saucepan until the liquid begins to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to about room temperature.
4. Strain the liquid and pour over the eggs covering them completely.
5. Seal the jar tightly with the lid and store in a cool and dark place for a minimum of two weeks before consuming.

gbrown
06-06-2012, 12:26 PM
No garlic at my house but if you like the nasty stuff and insist on stinking from both ends,,,, go for it.

Not meaning to step on toes or insult anyone, but the holy trinity in SW La and SE TX is GARLIC, onion and bell peppers. "Stinking on both ends" from garlic? And we are talking about pickled boiled eggs????:kidding:

Longwood
06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
I have tried the plain old pickled "Bar" eggs at a lot of places. Some were good and some were really good.

Here is one a recipe a friend gave me many years ago and it is the simplest, quickest, and makes the most perfect, beer drinkin, pickle eggs and pretzel eating, eggs, as I ever tried.
I am pretty sure it was stolen from Joe Jost's.

I do it in a gallon jar filled with boiled eggs.
Add 1 jar (12 - 16 oz) hot yellow wax chili's juice and all
1 jar cocktail onions with juice
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons white pepper corns, use a little more of black if white is not handy
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
If you like them, 3 halved garlic cloves (optional).
1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon Turmeric.
Add more white distilled vinegar if needed to cover eggs.
Cover and let sit out at room temperature for at least a day.
Best, around six days. Bwahahaha,, if they make it that long, that is.
Serve with an onion, a chili a Homebrew and pretzels.

Over 7 million served since Joe Jost started counting in 1934.
Half as many as Skooners. They must be popular.

www.joejosts.com

If you visit their page, click on the jar of pickles.

PS

They will keep safely for weeks at room temperature using this method.

Longwood
06-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Not meaning to step on toes or insult anyone, but the holy trinity in SW La and SE TX is GARLIC, onion and bell peppers. "Stinking on both ends" from garlic? And we are talking about pickled boiled eggs????:kidding:

Garlic and I do not get along.
I have turned around and left restaurants on garlic dipped shrimp night.
Garlic toast is about as far as I can go with it.
I know,,,,, weird to some people but I just never can get over how it smells.
There is an area here where they grow a lot and they have a festival where they actually serve garlic Icecream.
NO,,,, I have not been to one of their festivals.

The eggs will sure take care of the "After" end.

x101airborne
06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Thank you folks, for sharing. I just called a buddy of mine with Katournic (sp?) Quail and he has about 4 dozen eggs ready to go. MMMMM - mmmm!!!
As for the garlic, I will eat pickled garlic by the quart. I mean literally. I eat it on everything. Well, havent tried it with Cheerios, but I am not skeerd. And I can attest, I WREAK for two days after eating em. Wife wont cuddle with me for two days. And that is two days without cold feet and butt jammed onto me at 0230 hours, so there is a lot of garlic consumed in my house.

Reg
06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I stand corrected !!!

:kidding:

x101airborne
06-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Now all I got to do is get my pickled sausage recipe fixed and my bar food menu will be complete!!

Jailer
06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
I would like to try to make some eggs. Could anyone share a proven recipe with me either publicly or by PM?

*1 for recipes...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107934&highlight=pickled+eggs

WILCO
06-07-2012, 08:52 AM

Here's my recipe:

Pickled Eggs & Beets

Ingredients:

1 (15 ounce) can red beets
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup white vinegar ½ cup cold water
½ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
4 whole cloves garlic ( I use minced garlic)
1 small cinnamon stick
6 hard cooked eggs

Directions:

1) Pour the beet juice into a medium sized pot. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt, cloves and the cinnamon stick. Place the pot over a medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2) Place the beets into the liquid mixture and let it cook for an additional 2 minutes to allow the beets to heat.

3) Place the hard cooked eggs ( shells removed) in a container with a tight fitting lid. Pour the liquid and beets into the container with the eggs. Store the container in the refrigerator for approximately 5 days before eating.

Additional notes: Since I started using this recipe, I’ve added one medium sized onion to the mix and heat it up with the beets. I’ve also added two additional eggs to the count. My container of choice is the standard sized Vlasic pickle jar. After I’ve added all the items listed above into the jar, I allow it to cool before sending it to the refrigerator.