PDA

View Full Version : Range Scrap Price?

mktacop
06-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Can anyone tell me what they have/are paying for range scrap? Also what is the average percentage of lead left over after removing the jackets, etc?

I ask because I've been offered range scrap for .40 per lb and just want to make sure it will be worth it.

Thanks in advance!

cgm
06-05-2012, 09:35 AM
I pay .20 per lb to a guy who mines the berm. If I mine the berm... it's free but, its a PITA.

I have not worked out the math on what my net yield is (my range scrap brings a lot of berm sand), but off the cuff, I would say that at .40/lb you are getting close to where I would probably prefer to pay 1.00/lb to some of the guys who will sell you clean smelted ingots on this board. Save yourself the sweat, propane and aggravation.

mktacop
06-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks! I should have added that this is from an indoor range that uses a bullet trap system that has no rubber/sawdust/etc included in it. It will be just lead and jackets.

Carolina Cast Bullets
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Take it from one who knows, indoor range lead from a bullet trap HAS DIRT as well as a lot of other contaminate in it, just not as much as outdoor range lead.

Jerry
Carolna Cast Bullets

mktacop
06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Take it from one who knows, indoor range lead from a bullet trap HAS DIRT as well as a lot of other contaminate in it, just not as much as outdoor range lead.

Jerry
Carolna Cast Bullets

Thanks for the information! Trying to ensure I make the best decision.

mold maker
06-05-2012, 11:32 AM
If your able to get almost all the lead off the jackets, and sell them to a scrap yard, You might make out at that price, but that is cutting it really close, to buying ingots as mentioned above.
The last scrap lead I bought, at the scrap yard was .50/lb, and was clean, dead soft, from a hospital Xray tear out. I got about 98% from smelting as there was only paper glued to one side.
This was the exception, as most scrap lead has lots of oxides and trash. Even todays WWs are lots more trash than just the clips. They currently run 16% Fe and 2% Zinc.

Jim
06-06-2012, 05:54 AM

Jerry
Carolna Cast Bullets

You got THAT right, brother!

evan price
06-06-2012, 06:03 AM
That's not a terrible price, but not an awesome price either...however it beats the heck out of NOT having lead too!

If you get the jackets emptied out and use a magnet to pull out the steel jackets you can sell them to a recycler, some of them will pay #2 copper price, some pay brass price, some pay next to nothing, some places refuse them altogether.

I pay $1 per pound for them and reimburse shipping if you have no other option.

DistRifle
06-06-2012, 05:25 PM
I mine the indoor range at our club. A 5 gal bucket usually weighs 90-100lbs. Out of that, I get about 65lbs lead and one gallon of jackets. I got $.70 per lb for the jackets last time.

bob208
06-06-2012, 06:27 PM
the last indoor range lead i got came from a range that only shot .22 rimfire. so no jackets at all. still some dust and floor dirt. got 3 wheelbarrel loads. it is real good lead for blackpowder cartage loads.

the others i go after a good rain and pick it up myself.

mallardsx2
03-24-2013, 12:57 PM
I have found that indoor range lead yields about 35% scrap and 65% actual lead. Build this into your prices when you clean out ranges.

bobthenailer
03-24-2013, 03:06 PM
I just recently smelted some jacketed bullets that were mined from a outdoor range.
I ended up with 225 lbs of alloy, it tested @ 8 bhn after 2 weeks, and 55 lbs of copper jackets .