PDA

View Full Version : Alert for Possible Lead

762 shooter
06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Possible Lead alert.

I cold called the Firestone tire center here and they said that they give their wheel weights away to whomever asks or "Throw it in the dumpster".

Might want to check in your area.

I claim everything in the Myrtle Beach area.:redneck:

evan price
06-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Firestone stores in Central Ohio area told me
1. We keep and reuse our lead weights because the steel weights they have us use suck on some wheels.
2. We don't save them, they go in the trash can. No, you can't leave a bucket.
3. We don't save them. (But asking about the two full buckets stuck behind a guy's toolbox got me thrown out)
4. It's illegal to give them to anyone but an EPA certified disposer.
5. We turn them in to the company we buy the weights from to get a credit towards our order.

Good luck in your area!

Don in Texas
06-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Heh, Firestone here was very straight-forward with me. The basically just said "No" lol

gbrown
06-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I get a few from a Firestone store down here. I have a bucket there with my name on it. Get about 3 or 4 lb every other week. Not much, but adds up. I saw a bucket about half full and ask the ole boy what he did with them. They re-use them. He was serious. Another place I went to said they re-cycled theirs with a battery company. A friend of mine who is a picker or dumpster diver, brought me a 5 gallon bucket full from their dumpster. LOL

44fanatic
06-07-2012, 08:00 AM
When it comes to the big chain type stores, I believe it comes down to who owns it...
If its corporate, they are already doing something with the used WW's.
If its privately owned, then you have a chance of getting them.

One Gun Andy
06-07-2012, 12:00 PM
In this area, most all of the chain stores - Firestone, Goodyear, Pep Boys, whoever - are having their WW picked up by recyclers; most will say "by corporate directive". The smaller garages are still a good source here.

gofastman
06-14-2012, 02:43 AM
4. It's illegal to give them to anyone but an EPA certified disposer.

this is what I got from all of the big chain stores in my area :roll: