PDA

View Full Version : Shipping handguns

MarkK
04-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Can a CA nonlicensee ship to a C&R FFL in another state? What are my shipping options? TIA, Mark

Scrounger
04-20-2007, 09:37 AM
California law probably doesn't really address this problem but if you call and ask them, I'd bet they'd tell you "No". Federal Law says you can (We're assuming it is a C&R handgun, right) but your only legal shipping option is UPS Next Day Ait which will cost big bucks. These are all just my opinions, of course. What I would do is this: I'd take the gun to a friendly, honest dealer and have him ship it. He can ship it via Priority Mail (you can't) for $10-$15, charge you $25 for the service and it'd still be less than you'd have to pay UPS. That covers your ka-duba-duba with the Feds AND with California. Everybody's happy.

kywoodwrkr
04-20-2007, 09:57 AM
I'd echo what scrounger has said.
I had an 01 FFl and as such could ship via USPS to another FFL.
Supposedly only 01 to 01 but I also shipped to 03's.
Many, and I repeat MANY, not all, people you will ship to will require it be shipped from an FFL.
That protects them actually.
I always asked for mutiple pictured identification when receiving pistols from non FFL shippers.
I recently shipped a pistol to a member here on the board and not thinking went to UPS and shipped it as normal.
Only method was too costly but I felt I was under a time constraint so sent it.
I would much rather go to my local dealer and have him ship it.
I'd rather he get the money instead of UPS.
Whichever way you go, make sure you do it LEGALLY.
Right now is not a time to become an example.
Your dealer will probably charge you a fee. because he is supposed to put it in his record book if he ships it.
Just as if you walked into his/her store and traded it in and he/she was shipping to another dealer.
Just my .02$.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

NVcurmudgeon
04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Check Fed Ex. It's still air, but my guess is that they are cheaper than UPS. I have received three C&R pistols through Fed Ex. Having recently worked for UPS at the airport, and comparing notes with Fed Ex employees, my impression is that Fed Ex is a lot nicer company. It is suspicious that UPS demands that pistols go overnight air when they have two day air which is a lot cheaper, or for that matter two different truck services.

KCSO
04-20-2007, 12:16 PM
No fed ex is about the same. Best to ship FFL by usps.

Duckiller
04-20-2007, 01:13 PM
The reason firearms are required to be shipped overnight air is that too many employees were stealing them . Overnight air gave shipping companies better control over the packages. So says local gun shop. Sounds good.

klw
04-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Anyone can ship a handgun. Federal law only requires that it is shipped to an FFL. Such a shipment, however, can not go through the post office. They don't allow that.

UPS and Fed Ex usually (but not always) want a copy of the FFL to whom you are shipping the gun.

454PB
04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I sent my Taurus RB in for warranty work about 2 years ago. It had to go overnight air, UPS, and after insurance was added it cost $55.

FISH4BUGS
04-20-2007, 06:39 PM
....you ought to try shipping a machine gun! Last one I sold went FedEx Registered Overnight and heavily insured. It cost me almost $100 with insurance! Be glad you are shipping just a handgun!
The only fun in all that was watching the counter clerk freak out. "....you want to ship a WHAT?" I had to ask for the manager and show her the approved form 4 permitting the transfer. I had to unpack it and prove it wasn't loaded. She called the regional office to get the OK to accept it. It took an hour.........makes me ill.

Jim
04-20-2007, 07:17 PM
FISH,
Your description generated a visual for me. Thanks for the laugh! "You want to ship a WHAT?" Man, THAT'S CLASSIC!

lovedogs
04-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Another option is (if you have one) a friendly sheriff or police dept. When in doubt you may call BATF, also. Some of those people are real horses butts but I've found the ones here in Mt. are more than willing to be helpful and you can get the real truth from them on shipping and other related gun issues. Not long ago I went the whole route with a local postmaster on shipping a rifle in for repair; the BATF folks in Billings, Mt. made phone calls to the Postmaster and really straightened her out in a hurry! Ordinarily I'm suspicious of all the bureaucrats but this office made me realize some are okay. They may be a minority but there are a few real good ones left.

MarkK
04-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Friendly and Honest are the key words. Fedex says OK. Two dealers say OK. Two other dealers say no. On dealer said they will gladly ship it for $75 + shipping... Hmm... Will try other suggestions. Thanks for the responses.