PDA

View Full Version : lead prices going up!

Lloyd Smale
04-20-2007, 08:51 AM
this is from a guy who sells casting lead on greaybeards forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even if you don't buy from me you need to go ahead and get your lead now. The cost of lead has doubled in just the past nine months alone and is up almost 400% in the past 4 years, Tin prices set a new record price yesterday and antimony isn't far behind.

My supplier recently raised prices on me almost 200%. I shouldn't complain though as they kept the same price for a long time even with the price of lead going through the roof. My prices will almost certainly have to go up when I update my prices again in May.

I hear the reason for this is that China controls much of the worlds supply of tin, and is also making HUGE purchases of lead and antimony on the open market. While I don't pretend to know the future I have been told to expect lead at 1.50 a pound or more by the end of the year. Tin is being monopolized by the Chinese now and its price is expected to be above 15 dollars per pound by the end of the year. If world economies slow down then these prices should fall and that's what I'm hoping for.

If you get wheel weight lead you should go ahead and stock up on it. Get as much as you can. Go to the ranges and collect the lead bullets.

After proofreading this post I realize I sound like Chicken Little running around screaming "The shy is falling" but in this case I have been amazed at the rise in prices for base metals and I wanted to share this with you guys.

Pepe Ray
04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I'd rather be a chicken little than a DUMB CLUCK.
Pepe Ray

cbrick
04-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I've been collecting and hording WW for a couple of years now for this reason and because the eco whackos are winning the fight to have lead weights banned. I'd rather die of old age with a couple of tons of ingots than live the last 20 years with none.

Rick

FISH4BUGS
04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
My goal is to lay in a lifetime supply of WW ingots and linotype. Since I shoot subguns, that is going to be a lot of lead. I hope to have a TON, yup, that's 2000 lbs of wheel weights smelted and 400 lbs of linotype ingots. That gives me plenty to have. I have been accumulating them for two years also. I have a great deal with my tire shop - every two buckets of WW's I give him a case of Harpoon India Pale Ale, plus a six pack of Moxie for the guy that doesn't drink.....works out to about $13 a bucket.
I now have 7 buckets of ingots and 15 buckets waiting to be smelted. I am looking for more linotype........I probably will NEVER have enough WW's OR linotype.

randyrat
04-22-2007, 07:44 AM
It's a crap game around here with lead shot. Supply and demand; I noticed shot went up (aprox $30) and a lot of the guys didn't run out and buy their 1- 2 year supply of shot. Then shot took a dip down to about $23.99... I believe they are playing us like a old sweet Violin right now (Marketing manager wants a bonus) . I don't believe this cat N mouse game will last long. Soon the supply cost will go up even more along with demand and shipping Mybe next year we will all be saying ; I wish wudda bought shot last year when it was $23.99...... $23.99 is the lowest i've seen(usually $25.99),but you have to drive 60 miles to get it. I also noticed more of the small time casters are buying ingots and casting up a good supply for themselves after they woke up and seen the price of bullets sky rocket. MMMMMMmmmmm i need to adjust my (to keep for the future) inventory up.

ovendoctor
04-22-2007, 08:33 AM
dan and jen were home last weekend and took a load of stuff back north {MTU}

the big production pot that my father inlaw used at the print shop went with him

hopefully he will get the pile of range lead put into picks befor they move

the plan is to have it at the indoor range at MTU so we can cast year round

:castmine:

WHITETAIL
04-22-2007, 08:39 AM
cbrick, I am with you!