PDA

View Full Version : Questions about lead

Huskerguy
06-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I have been casting using lead recovered from an indoor range. It is very dirty with all sorts of fibers and other junk in with the lead. However, there is a plentiful supply that will never run out and we can take (we are encouraged) all we want. When I melt it I mix in about 50-50 of wheel weights and some tin from solder to up the hardness. Am I doing the right thing?

I have not done a hardness test on this but I have shot several hundred rounds in a 38 and no problems but I do keep my loads manageable. I have molds for 38, 9, and 40.

This weekend I ran across a mother lode of lead. I picked up over 220 lbs already in ingots and have access to probably a couple TONS of other soft lead.

I left the soft lead for now and only took the known wheel weight lead for my purposes. Is there a market for the soft lead? If so how much is it worth should it be smelted down?

Thanks

runfiverun
06-04-2012, 12:39 AM
a hardness tester would really help you out.
with batch to batch semi consistency in hardness.

a soft lead with a bhn of 5-7 would sell here just fine at about a buck a lb shipped.

jlala504
06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
FYI tin does nothing to hardness, it lets its flow easier, I believe by reducing the surface tension of the liquid.

Iron Mike Golf
06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
FYI tin does nothing to hardness, it lets its flow easier, I believe by reducing the surface tension of the liquid.

Tin also increases toughness (tough in metals is the opposite of brittle) to counter the brittleness from antimony.

Range scrap is likely to contain .5 to 2% antimony.

leadbutt
06-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Tin also increases toughness (tough in metals is the opposite of brittle) to counter the brittleness from antimony.

Range scrap is likely to contain .5 to 2% antimony.

Tin does add a wee bit of hardness. As for antimony, the tin helps the lead to aloy to the antimony because antimony is more crystaline.

L. Bottoms