PDA

View Full Version : Lee 125 gr RNFP with Black Powder

awaveritt
06-03-2012, 08:54 PM
I've been loading the Lee 358-158gr RNFP over 18gr. Goex FFFg with good results. However I have cast a good supply of the Lee 125 gr RNFP and would like to load those up with the Goex as well. Problem is, I can't find any published data for black powder and the 125 gr. in 38 special. I get really good compression of the 18grs under the 158. There would be slightly less compression, but enough to insure no air space with the same charge under the 125gr. boolit. Would I be good to go with that same charge under the lighter boolit?

Anyone have any pet loads and/or published data using the Lee 125 gr boolit with holy black?

kir_kenix
06-03-2012, 09:11 PM
i dont see any reason why it wouldn't work. only issue i can see is that boolit may not carry enough lube to keep the bp fouling soft if you go on a marathon shooting session. just adjust ur load until ur getting the compression and velocity you are looing for. sent from kindle using touch to text

Gripmaker
06-04-2012, 11:12 PM
After 30+ years of loading BP, I have come to the conclusion that the optimum load is whatever it takes to fill the case to the point where you have 1/16" to 1/8"
compression of the load after seating and properly crimping the bullet into the case. I have never been concerned with weight while using BP because different lots of different powder brands will weigh in differently. Be concerned only with volume and set your sights accordingly. You'll be glad you did! BTW, use only 3F granulation in your 38s and don't switch to 2F until you get to 45 cal. and bigger AND use only BP manufactured in Germany by WANO as it is the absolute best for power, velocity variation, accuracy and ease of cleaning.

NEVER pick a fight with an old person. We will just kill you and go on with our lives.

thehouseproduct
06-07-2012, 07:13 AM
I might try this as well. Please post results.

TNFrank
06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Lube might be a problem. If they're lubed up for smokeless powder they'll not work very well with black powder or pyrodex. Best bet is to melt the factory lube(if it's for smokeless powder) out of the boolits and then pan lube them with some 50/50 lube. That'll help keep the fouling soft and easy to clean after you get done shooting.
Also, I know you probably already know this but if you're going to run black powder or pyrodex in a ctg. gun your best bet is to use a magnum primer to touch off all that powder, it'll burn cleaner too.
I was using the Lee RNFP 125gr "Cowboy" bullet with pyrodex in a '51 Open Top that I use to have but I can't remember the powder charge to save my life.

P.S.
You might hit the SASS or other CAS web sites for loading info since many use black powder and pyrodex in their ctg. guns.

rexherring
06-07-2012, 07:14 PM
After 30+ years of loading BP, I have come to the conclusion that the optimum load is whatever it takes to fill the case to the point where you have 1/16" to 1/8"
compression of the load after seating and properly crimping the bullet into the case. I have never been concerned with weight while using BP because different lots of different powder brands will weigh in differently. Be concerned only with volume and set your sights accordingly. You'll be glad you did! BTW, use only 3F granulation in your 38s and don't switch to 2F until you get to 45 cal. and bigger AND use only BP manufactured in Germany by WANO as it is the absolute best for power, velocity variation, accuracy and ease of cleaning.

NEVER pick a fight with an old person. We will just kill you and go on with our lives.

Glad to hear that, I just loaded a bunch of .45 Colt with WANO 2F. Used a # 129 Lee scoop and they compressed about 1/8th inch. Used my RCBS 255 SWC with deep lube grooves. Thought I had some SPG but didn't so I did have some TC Bore Butter so I pan lubed some and will give it a try with that. Love the peppermint smell of that stuff so I hope it works.