PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 case length

brownout
06-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I posted a little while ago about getting started in casting for both 30-30 and 45 colt which is going great so far. colt is simple. I ended up with the rcbs 30-180-fn mold for my win 94. I have yet to cast any bullets yet hopefully soon. I was hoping to prep some cases so I can load when I get around to casting. What case length should I try for 30-30? will I have to play with it to fit the crimp groove and or overall lenght for the gun? Thanks for any help. I also have some imr 3031 powder I plan to load.

williamwaco
06-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Play with case length?

NO.

It doesn't matter exactly what the case length is as long is it is less than Max and they are all relatively close to the same.

You adjust the crimp into the crimping groove by setting the seating die to the proper depth in the press.

See:

http://reloadingtips.com/how_to/crimping_revolvers.htm

This is specific for revolvers but your procedure will be exactly the same for your .30-30 cast bullet seating.

454PB
06-02-2012, 11:07 PM
For lever guns, I usually make up a couple of dummy rounds. Set OL to use the crimp groove and then test function in the rifle. You can use rejected cast boolits for this, then pull them for remelting or save the dummy rounds to use when setting your dies.

Frank46
06-03-2012, 12:11 AM
I usually only load in batches of a 100. I check case lengths and trim to the smallest one. usually only have to do this once or twice over the life of the brass. Makes things easier if you need a good crimp. Frank

rond
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Play with case length?

NO.

It doesn't matter exactly what the case length is as long is it is less than Max and they are all relatively close to the same.

You adjust the crimp into the crimping groove by setting the seating die to the proper depth in the press.

See:

http://reloadingtips.com/how_to/crimping_revolvers.htm

This is specific for revolvers but your procedure will be exactly the same for your .30-30 cast bullet seating.

I sorry but that is incorrect information for loading rifle ammo. If your rifle has a short leade or your boolit is of a longer shape you will have to adjust case length shorter to properly crimp in the crimp groove.