PDA

View Full Version : The $50 Savage/Stevens likes the SSS 60gr Super Sniper 22 RF's

Buckshot
07-07-2005, 02:28 AM
............This past Tuesday I took a rifle I'd bought from a guy's friend for $50. It's a bolt action clip fed Savage-Stevens of some indeterminate age, but I'd suspect from the 70's. Nothing real special about it and it reminds me of the generic 22's you'd have seen at Western Auto.

I'd had it out shooting before, and it's the one I'd made a post on the old board about adding a second action screw and bedding it. This seemed to make no difference in it's shooting. I'd tried 8-9 different brands and types of 22 ammo awile back and not a whole lot was real exciting.

I don't guess I'd shot any of the Aguila brand sub-sonic 60gr Super Snipers before. I'd taken 500 rounds of Dyna-Points which had done okay and a box of 50 of the 60gr ammo. The rifle came with one of those little bity 22RF scopes, and this one was made by Crossman. It's nice and clear with real fine crosshairs. I need to get a one incher on it.

I'd shot a few groups with the Dyna-Points at 50 yards and was getting 1" groups for 10 rounds or so, so it's not a bad shooter. Maybe a couple smaller (trigger really sux too, BTW!). After awile I decided to try the 60gr Snipers. I fired a 5 round group at 50 yards that maybe went 3/8" ! :-). It was hard to believe and I searched all over the target paper for what I figured were the other 3 rounds! Then I fired a 10 round group that spanned a scant inch but 7 went into a hole you could cover with a dime.

My Rem 582 boltgun, CZ452 Trainer, and Ruger pistol just hate the heavy bullet ammo, and shoot it sideways into big groups. My Martini is rather indifferent to it compared to how it shoots otherwise. The slugs will go though straight, but the groups run 1.5" or so at 50 yards. I guess I'll have to check the twist in the Savage, as I can't see what else would make it shoot them so well?

..................Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
07-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Good Grief! A different twist in a .22 LR? I thought 1:16 was specified
in the Magna Carta. Please post what you find out.

wills
07-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Good Grief! A different twist in a .22 LR? I thought 1:16 was specified
in the Magna Carta. Please post what you find out.

Nope, it is not in there.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/magnacarta.html

Buckshot
07-08-2005, 03:02 AM
Nope, it is not in there.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/magnacarta.html

..........Thanks Wills, I knew you'd come up with it. I guess I should unload the trunk of the car. Everything is still in it from Tuesday and I don't need to haul it to work tomorrow!

..........Buckshot

9.3X62AL
07-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Actually, I think the treatise Curmudgeon is talking about is found in the "Articles of Confederation" that pre-dated our Constitution, complete with Ben Franklin's short commentary on self-loading rimfires.

"Magna Carta" was close.

NVcurmudgeon
07-08-2005, 10:37 PM
I cited the Magna Carta as a source for .22 LR twist because I was worried about lightning if I used a Biblical reference. I remember the late, great Jack O'Connor writing that the 2 3/4" 12 gauge pump gun was descibed as the all-around shotgun as far back as the gospel of St. Mark.

wills
07-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Actually, I think the treatise Curmudgeon is talking about is found in the "Articles of Confederation" that pre-dated our Constitution, complete with Ben Franklin's short commentary on self-loading rimfires.

"Magna Carta" was close.
Nope, not there either
http://www.usconstitution.net/articles.html

lar45
07-09-2005, 01:16 AM
I bought some of those 60 gn sub sonics awhile back. My winchester won't shoot them well at all, but my Son's Marlin stainless plastic bolt gun shoots them great.
It is amazing how quiet they are;)

Urny
07-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Buckshot sent me some of those quiet 60 grain Aguila's after NCBS '05 and I finally got around to testing them. I only own three .22 rifles, and the CZ 452 and Winchester 121 said no thank you right off, so testing was confined to some groups in the R69. Group is a relative term in this instance, and since the task at hand was the termination of the alien cat terrorizing my cat, Shortfork, and living under my house, I had to use CCI shorts for the job. The shot would be (was) at about 15 yards, and the Aguila groups were larger than a cat's vital area at that range. I live in a semi urban area, lots of 1.25 to 1.5 acres, and the quite 60 grain bullet would have been an advantage. Oh well.

jh45gun
07-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Some guns like them and some do not My Romanian 69 will shoot them and I never tried them in my Navy Arms imported chinese copy of a Walther Target pistol before but it likes them. I have have heard from others that they work good in their pistols too including some Rugers. I think after 20 yards they would start to open up and or tumble in a pistol but for shorter distances if your gun likes them they are interesting. I know my Romanian will shoot them at 50 yards but they drop quite a bit from 25 yards. jim

Scrounger
07-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Some guns like them and some do not My Romanian 69 will shoot them and I never tried them in my Navy Arms imported chinese copy of a Walther Target pistol before but it likes them. I have have heard from others that they work good in their pistols too including some Rugers. I think after 20 yards they would start to open up and or tumble in a pistol but for shorter distances if your gun likes them they are interesting. I know my Romanian will shoot them at 50 yards but they drop quite a bit from 25 yards. jim

These rounds, with their low noise level, would make a good "feral" cat round; CarpetMan must have tried these, what's he say about them?

StarMetal
07-19-2005, 02:38 PM
I have shot and killed groundhogs with CCI'S mini caps. Headshots were pretty instant kills and chest/heart shots weren't too bad either. Distant about 50 yards or less.

Joe

P.s. The caps are more quiet then the subsonics.

drinks
08-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Buckshot;
A friend tried 4 .22s, best was 8-9" at 25yds, I have a Mossy sl, cheapie, will do 2 1/2" at 25yds, my Ruger Mk II will do 2" at 25 yds, both to poa , more or less.
My Win. 67 will do 1" at 50yds, but they are 5" right and 1" low from 40gr hs Federals.
Really a mixed bag.
Mt friend spent $200 on a Volquartsen [sp?] 1/9" barrel for his 10-22 and got 1" at 50yds.
I do not have my notes here now, but the Mossy gave about 800fps, the Ruger Mk II gave about 825fps and the 67 gave about 875fps.
Yes, the 6" pistol barrel was faster than the 20" rifle barrel.
Interesting, but at 3 times the price of remwinfed 40gr hs, not worth it to me.