PDA

View Full Version : Charleston WV

pmeisel
06-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I have a career opportunity there. Any hints or tips? I have 2 or 3 weeks, maybe a little more, to make a decision. It's with my current employer so that's not a worry, I am just looking for tips on areas, carry permit, hunting, fishing... practical stuff like that.

odfairfaxsub
06-02-2012, 08:24 PM
new river is teaming with smallmouth!!! as far as hunting im not sure. the dnr are very proactive in the state so legit is always a must. your carry permit you have to have a class of sorts. you get a photo id type permit unlike my cheasy laminated court of the clerk (visa versa) paper work. enjoy it!!!

troy_mclure
06-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Nice place, I grew up down river some in Ohio. We traveled up to party as its a college town. Very good hunting in the area, never fished in the area, but there are some very good dirt bike and tab trails locally too.

wv109323
06-03-2012, 05:49 PM
West Virginia has above average CCW permits and gun laws. If you already have one it may be transferable. If Not you will need to take a class ($$??) and the permit is $90.00 for five years. The state does have the "Castle Doctrine". There are no waiting periods or prohibitive laws concerning firearms.
The state does lack in gun clubs. However about 20 west of Charleston off I-64 is the Putnam Co. Gun Club in Eleanor,WV. They have Nra Bulleye Pistol, NRA Highpower Rifle (reduced course 200 yds.) and Cowboy action.I think you could Google Putnam Co. Gun Club and find a web site.
The hot spot to live is in the Teays Valley which is between Charleston and Huntington along the already mentioned I-64. The drawback is rush hour traffic can be a bear. I-77 and I-79 run north out of Charleston and within about 20 miles you run into a lot of farm land.
To the east of Charleston is the Kanawha Valley along route 60. That area is declining due to the coal mines and chemical plants have all but disappeared. With that said there may be a bargain on a house due to poor sales.
Hunting is probably poorer in WV than in Mississippi. Hunting land is at a premimum and expect to join a hunt club for property rights. Of course Whitetail Deer is the big season. Next is probably Spring Gobbler. Bird Hunting is almost non-existant in WV.
If you care about schools, then Putnam Co. is probably the best with Kanawha second.

mstarling
06-04-2012, 03:20 AM
Deer hunting is good if you have a place. Have good season limits especially if you bow hunt. Bear hunting is interesting ... again if you have a place. Series of state run ranges available. Some are a bit hinky to use due to the odd crowds. No pigs here. Helps to have friends w rural land.

WV carry permits are good in 34 states last I looked. Some sheriffs including Kanawha county do will not sign ATF Forms. Trust is only way to go. Otherwise state is NFA friendly.

Not many good sources for reloading supplies at reasonable prices. I order most stuff from Powder Valley.

Traffic is best living north to work downtown. Is against traffic both ways. Living west is not traffic friendly.

Winters have been very mild lately. Have seen temps as low as -30F and snow as deep as 30+ inches. Best to take leave for the few times that happens ... not work breaking a car with the many folks on the road that drive too fast in icy conditions.

pmeisel
06-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks much, guys. I am flying Monday to talk to the potential new boss. My wife is interested so this may happen.

If I am in Kanawha County, how big a problem should I expect applying for a new CCW there?

Moonman
06-10-2012, 08:32 AM
If you're a deer hunter, Ohio's dogs are bigger.

wv109323
06-10-2012, 04:14 PM
The CC permit is issued by the sheriff of the county in which you live and are applying. PM mstarling and ask about getting a permit in Kanawha County.
My son-in-law moved from Florida and transferred his CCW permir from Florida to Mingo County .WV.
The normal procedure is to fill out a form. You must have the proper requirements. You must take a concealed weapons class or be a vetetran. The permit is given to the sheriff in your county and the sheriff does a background check and then issues the permit. Payment is made to the sheriff.
I don't know if the sheriff of Kanawha is gun friendly or not. The sheriff is not suppose to be able to stop the procedure for political reasons.

pmeisel
06-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks. I am traveling a lot but I will follow up on this in the next couple weeks.

gew98
06-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Only thing bad I know of WV is in some of the rural areas not far from Eleanor where a good friend of mine lives ( chandlers ridge rd ) ... and huntington itself. Some bad Meth stuff and local theivery and he assures me a corrupt PD there. Otherwise he's rather fond of WV and intends to stay permanently (He's been there about 8 years now ) .