PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions for a .22LR semi-auto rifle....

Harry O
06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
I have one each of the two most common. I am planning to attend a Appleseed project shoot in the near future. In it, you shoot 600 rounds in two days from 25 yards to 400 yards.

Neither of the two semi-autos I have on hand are ideal for that. The Ruger 10-22 is reliable, but not accurate. The Marlin 60 is accurate, but starts having problems at 150 rounds (plus or minus) unless it is thoroughly cleaned.

Any suggestions? I like the tube magazine of the Marlin better than the one on the Ruger, but that is not a deal breaker. I also like to have some weight up front (which the Ruger does not have). My favorite .22LR is a Marlin 39A, but it is kind of difficult to shoot fast from the prone position. I am not really interested in a bolt action.

troyboy
06-02-2012, 06:52 PM
At 400 yds.... can't say I would want a 22 unless and ar platform.

runfiverun
06-02-2012, 06:59 PM
ii have an older rem 592 they tell you to NOT lube the inside of it.
i haven't done more than wipe the dirt out of the action since i got it.
the bright glowey sights are a bit annoying, but it's a gem with a scope.
i still like my glenfield better.

MT Gianni
06-02-2012, 11:15 PM
In an Appleseed you shoot all shots @ 25 yards on target sizes that approximate 100-400 yards. I would take the Ruger. You will have reload situations that need magazine feed rather than tube feed. I shot one with a CZ452 and could not complete all the time considerations with a bolt action. Use the Ruger.

frkelly74
06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Sounds like fun. More mags for the ruger??

JeffinNZ
06-03-2012, 05:21 AM
I have a BRNO 581 that is a tack driver. Heavy(ish) trigger but superb accurate.

WILCO
06-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Ruger 10/22 gets my vote. Most accurate rifle out of the box. Even the snipers had them in vietnam.....

rockrat
06-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Its kind of light, but if I was entered in your shoot, it would be my Rem nylon 66

Throckmorton
06-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I believe i'd buy an aftermarket barrel for the ruger,assuming it's stock... and see how that does for youi. my ruger will run longer than my model 60 without cleaning,but not sure if it'd run 400 rounds with no cleaning. maybe take a can of Powder Blaster along for a quick blast out ?

looseprojectile
06-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Check out the semi auto rifle that Thompson Center made.
My shooting partner just bought a used one.
Has a great trigger and is really accurate. Have not given it the test of how long it will shoot without cleaning but the gun seems to be twice the quality of a 10 22.
Magazines are not so good but what is, compared to the rotary mags of Ruger?
Never been to an appleseed shoot but I can't imagine that there would not be time to clean a rifle during the shoot.
If you can hit a nickel most of the time at fifty feet you will probably be in the upper 50% of the participants.
I would use my 10 22.

Life is good

montana_charlie
06-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Check out the semi auto rifle that Thompson Center made.
My shooting partner just bought a used one.
Has a great trigger and is really accurate. Have not given it the test of how long it will shoot without cleaning but the gun seems to be twice the quality of a 10 22.
Magazines are not so good but what is, compared to the rotary mags of Ruger?
Out of curiosity I did some Googling.
Apparently that is the R55, and it comes in .22 and .17.
Seems like a useful rifle, and a pretty good shooter.
You say 'twice the quality' of a 10/22. I see a new one for sale on Gunbroker for $600.
Isn't that also more than twice the price of a 10/22?

(I don't know much about prices as I paid sixty-nine bucks for my Ruger.)

CM

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I would take the 10/22 even though i really like my bolt target rifle , i would scope the 10/22 with a decent 3x9 i went with a 4x12 and regret it some for speed on small game but it is great on a bench or shooting prone

try the CCI bulk 40 gr I coach 4h shooting sports , we provide the ammo , of a hole line of guns none had any issues feeding the CCI

if you prefer open sights tech sights are a preferred sight on the LTR liberty training rifle http://www.tech-sights.com/

like they said all shots are fired from 25 yards but at the targets keep getting smaller to simulate the distance you can see the target at the appleseed web site

you may also want a magazine loader and several magazines

10x
06-04-2012, 11:38 PM
You can buy a brand new take off barrel for the 10/22.
Also check the hex bolts holding the barrel to the action. If they are not torqued properly the gun will give poor accuracy. Accuracy fell off on my 10/22 after twenty years. I tightened the barrrel mount screws till just past snub and the accuracy came back.

captbligh
06-05-2012, 12:17 AM
I put a Shooter's Ridge bull barrel on my 10/22 and a Leupold 3 -9X EFR scope shooting Eley target rifle ammo (not their expensive stuff) - shooting off the bench at 50 yards every round just landed directly under the crosshairs. The most fun I've ever had shooting a .22LR. The barrel is a tad heavy, but I look at this as my supreme squirrel rifle now.

geargnasher
06-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Fix the 10/22 where it will shoot (new barrel, stock, trigger group, add bedding block to rear of action, etc.), use Eagle 30-round magazines except for prone, and have a good time! If the Ruger won't shoot now, it can easily be made to do so.

Gear

looseprojectile
06-05-2012, 02:43 AM
My friend bought his TC 22 rifle at a pawn shop for $200.00 OTD.
I saw it on the rack and told my friend about it and he got it the next day.
Was a good deal huh?
I did not need any more 22s at any price since I got the Anschutz. Got about a dozen 22s. I did not know what the TCs were selling for.
A good deal can be found if a man looks around.
Six hundred sounds like a Cabelas price.

Life is good

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-05-2012, 10:06 AM
count!

Kraschenbirn
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
'Nother '+1' for the Ruger. My heavy-barreled 10-22 (glass-bedded receiver, 'floated' barrel, and a bit of touch-up on the trigger) will easily print dime-sized groups at 25 yds if I do my part. Our club runs Appleseed a couple times a year and, from experience, I can tell you that both tube magazines and bolt actions are definite disadvantages. (I once tried shooting the course with my Browning T-Bolt and, like Gianni, ran out of time on a few stages.)

Bill

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Harry, I edited your post to 4 basic statements:

1>The Ruger 10-22 is reliable, but not accurate.

2>The Marlin 60 is accurate, but starts having problems at 150 rounds (plus or minus) unless it is thoroughly cleaned.

3>I like the tube magazine of the Marlin better than the one on the Ruger, but that is not a deal breaker.

4>I also like to have some weight up front (which the Ruger does not have).

...Any suggestions?

My first thought is a nice vintage Rem. 550 (expect to pay at least $200).

My second thought is getting the 10/22 to shoot better,
does the gun have to be stock ? if not, get a heavy barrel for the 10/22.
Jon

clodhopper
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Harry,
I am an appleseed shootboss.
The accuracy standard of appleseed is 4 minutes.
The shooting is done with sling support in three positions.
When you say the ruger is not accurate you do not quantify how it does shoot.
I would call a 2 minute capaple rifle as not accurate, but suitble for appleseed.
Tube magazines are allowed but clumbersome for the shooter, and needing special saftey considerations.
Appleseed's saftey procedurs are, lets say, overlaping and through.
Make sure you have a sling, and if scoped, the scope far enough forward to see through it prone.
The transitions from standing to sitting, and prone, mag changes and rapid fire make the 10-22 a pretty good choice for appleseed.
If you choose to use a bolt or lever gun it will take more disipline to earn the badge of Rifleman, but in the end you will have aquiered more skill.
Don't "practice up" before the shoot. For experienced shooters replacing bad habits with good habits the major hangup.
We get farther, faster, with new shooters than with old guys like me.

Harry O
06-06-2012, 07:41 PM
clodhopper: Thanks for the additional information. I have not been to an Appleseed shoot yet, but I do shoot J.C.Garand shoots every once in a while and CAS shooting regularly. My Ruger is better than the 4MOA, but not as good as the 2MOA standards you mention. It is disappointing when compared to my Marlins (a Model 60, a 39A, and a 39M) which are 1MOA with a scope and 1-1/2MOA with a peep sight at 50 yards.

The nearest Appleseed shoot is 2-1/2 hours away from where I live. It is being held at a range that is famous (at least within the State) for having one section that allows 600yard shoots, so I assumed they would take advantage of that. The higher rated Garand shooters shoot there. I did not know that Appleseed just reduced the size of the targets.

clodhopper
06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Appleseed uses reduced targets similar to the D style used during WWII and other as well.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-09-2012, 08:18 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnVT/Guns/Red400.jpg