PDA

View Full Version : Time to quit

Rex
06-02-2012, 03:31 PM
I can't align and hold the sights long enough to squeeze the trigger on my 686 S&W any more, worse yet I can't see the sights even with the front painted with fluorscent green paint. Oh well, I've still got 3 rifles and 3 shotguns to play with but I'll miss the revolver, I shot it every day of the world for several years.
Getting old ain't that great.

Hardcast416taylor
06-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Is the problem failing vision or is there a problem with cataracts? I am having a cataract removed from my right eye in about 1 1/2 weeks that will complete the set for cataract removal. In awhile I may once again be able to enjoy handgun shooting without glasses and actually see the sights. I`d bite the bullet and have a decent eye Dr. check your eyes out.Robert

fecmech
06-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Rex--Put a dot sight on that 686. It won't cure the hand tremors ( I'm getting them more now)but you can at least see where you're wobbling at. There are some nice light sights out there that will work wonders for you. I know, they look ugly, I fought it for years but I have dots on all my handguns except carry pieces. Believe me you will enjoy shooting your handgun again!

Rex
06-02-2012, 04:46 PM
It's a case of turning 70 this fall. I've thought about a dot sight but just can't go there yet. What dots do you use on your handguns?

bobthenailer
06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
put a red dot sight on it and shoot from the bench ! just like you would do with a rifle !
I have alot of red dot sights on my handguns and a few rifles! a god send to aging eyes , I have them from $35.00 to $500 .00 a really good mid priced one is a ULTRADOT with a 30mm tube Around $150.00 is hard to beat + it has a lifetime warranty, which most dont have

Ola
06-02-2012, 06:36 PM
If you want a really good red dot sight for handgun use: Aimpoint Micro H-1 with 2 MOA dot. Compact, easy to aim very accurately, durable...
www.aimpoint.com/products/all-products/product-singleview/product/Micro%20H-1/

or if you want even smaller and lighter one, the Docter is hard to beat. www.analytik-jena.com/en/Optics-AnalytikJenaAG-BranchEisfeld/Products/Red-Dot-Sight__230/

kbstenberg
06-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I have to agree with the other comments on going to a Red Dot. At this point I can't even use open sights at 100 yards any more. and it is hard to use open sights at 50.
I don't think I get the pinpoint accuracy with the dot scope as with open sights. But accuracy is well within the kill zone.
I have the Ultra Dot on a RH 44mag
Kevin

bobthenailer
06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
If you want a really good red dot sight for handgun use: Aimpoint Micro H-1 with 2 MOA dot. Compact, easy to aim very accurately, durable...
www.aimpoint.com/products/all-products/product-singleview/product/Micro%20H-1/

or if you want even smaller and lighter one, the Docter is hard to beat. www.analytik-jena.com/en/Optics-AnalytikJenaAG-BranchEisfeld/Products/Red-Dot-Sight__230/

I have about 10 Aimpoints with 2 being the micro , I really like them but most people dont want to spend $450 to $550 dollars for a aimpoint red dot sight .
As far as the micro sights Ive had 2, Doctors ! I was disappointed , i currently have a orgional Tasco Optima , a Burris fast fire II , 2 Trijucons old model, and a Pride Fowler which is the best of the bunch hands down with many improvements over other sights such as a trap door for battery change & a 3 postion switch off/on and full power , its the only one that the dot is not to bright under almost any lighting condtion .
But the new Burris FF III looks as it was copied from the now possibley disconued Pride Fowler sight and should be ok and about $100.00 less than i paid for the PF sight.

wills
06-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I told my optometrist I couldn’t see open sights anymore, and he said he couldn’t either. He said he tried a red dot, and seeing the dot jump around shook his confidence and made things worse.

Have you tried an aperture?

gwpercle
06-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Got the same problems. Put a millet 1 inch, red dot sight with 3 moa dot on a Ruger MKII 22 pistol and a S&W 38 special. that solved seeing the sights. Now all shooting is done from some sort of rest or support, whatever I can find, up against a post, over the top of my range box or with a shooting stick.
Get creative, find other ways , DON'T GIVE UP !
And don't think the red dots are inaccurate with that 22 Ruger , when that dot covers the target and the trigger is squeezed it is a hit every time as long as I don't jerk the trigger.
Shooting from a rest or support is also a BIG help. The millet 1 inch is listed in the Midway catalog for $89.99 and worth every cent.

gary

rockrat
06-02-2012, 08:34 PM
I might have a red dot and a mount for a 686. PM me if your are interested.

sleeper1428
06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I'll repeat what others have already said - don't give up just because you're having trouble seeing those open sights. I'm 74 years old and I now have red dot scopes on both my 686 and my GP-100 and I couldn't be more pleased. Depending on what year your 686 was produced, you may well be able to get a Jack Weigand No-Drill mount that will go on simply by removing the rear sight and attaching the scope mount. If your revolver is older, as mine was, I had to have two mounting holes drilled and tapped before the scope mount could be attached but it was money well spent. The GP-100 is no problem at all - Weigand has a mount for both the 4" and 6" models. Just pop off the front sight, slip in the front mounting block, remove the rear sight and attach the scope mount with the screws supplied. A disclaimer - I'm not associated with Weigand, just a very pleased customer!

When shooting semi-autos and my non-scoped revolvers, I opt for a Merit Optical Attachment that attaches to my glasses by mean of a suction cup and gives me a variable aperture through which to view the sights, making both the rear and front sights clear and easily seen and sighted. I got this neat attachment years ago when they cost only 20 to 25 bucks but unfortunately, they are now nearly 60!!

But regardless of what you choose to do, don't stop using your handguns simply because of a decreased ability to use open sights. There are many options available and one should work for you.

sleeper1428

sharps4590
06-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Well, I'm not 70 but am only a few months from 60. As with most at about 50 everything started going south. If you're just punching paper take a roll of black plastic tape and punch or drill a bunch of 1/8 in. holes through it around the entire roll. Then just cut off a pice, kinda round it off into about a 1/4 or 3/16 circle around the hole and figure out where to stick it on your glass lense, if you wear glasses. It sharpens things up quite nicely!! There is also the Merrit Device and Lyman makes a similar aperature that suction cups to your lense. Both work but I just use tape....mostly because my Lyman device won't stick to my lense. It woiuld if I had no line bifocals but I'm still old school. I've even taken to using it while hunting with my muzzleloaders. Head shots on squirrels are still pretty much a given withn 25 yards when using open sights.

Edit: I didn't see that sleeper had suggested the same thing with the Merrit device but I'll leave the post just FYI.------Vic

Ola
06-03-2012, 08:18 AM
(Docter) .. the only one that the dot is not to bright under almost any lighting condtion I've only used one of those years ago but I was very pleased with it. It was mounted on the slide of a Glock so it took quite a beating. Tens of thousands of rounds and zero problems. Never noticed the dot not being bright enough.

Ola
06-03-2012, 08:27 AM
black plastic tape and punch or drill a bunch of 1/8 in. holes through it around the entire roll. Then just cut off a pice, kinda round it off into about a 1/4 or 3/16 circle around the hole and figure out where to stick it on your glass lense...That reminds me: www.pinhole-glasses.com

I've even seen some shooters using them. They say it makes seeing sights so easy that it feels like cheating.

WILCO
06-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Don't call it quits. Just ask your target to move closer. :p

Geraldo
06-03-2012, 10:09 AM
A friend and I shoot muzzleloaders, and we're at the point of rapidly changing eyesight. Last week we said we'd shoot open sights as long as we can, which will still be quite a while. But I told him when I can't see the sights, I'll be mounting optics no matter how stupid it looks.

Aging requires some adjustments, but don't give up.

canyon-ghost
06-03-2012, 10:19 AM
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/32-20withscope.jpg

You're just using the wrong sights, there isn't anything wrong with magnification. Scopes are my bifocals best friend! This one happens to wear a rifle scope.

gray wolf
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Quitting is not an option
You were not issued any of the quit Gene
quit and do what ? sit in a chair ?
Red dots work, they are there for you, + they are cool.
Get over it and use one, or two.
Shakes just equal a bigger wobble zone, ain't no big thing.
I hear by order you to remedy this problem and continue shooting.
Open the mid way catalog and pick one.

waksupi
06-03-2012, 11:42 AM
I had my eye doc give me a prescription that focuses on my front sight. Between that, and opening the rear sight notch, I can once again see the sights well.
When I can get around to ordering another pair, I will use that prescription on my right eye, and on the left, I will put my regular prescription in the lens, to bring the target more in focus. A friend of mine has done this, and he has good results.

sharps4590
06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
That's right Geraldo! I forgot that I also opened up the notch in my rear sights on all my muzzleloaders. Helps a bunch!

jmsj
06-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Rex,
I am experienceing the same thing. This is a thread I started a while ago and it has helped me quite a bit.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=153815

Good luck. jmsj

linotype
06-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm getting up there in age, too. I agree with the advice everyone is giving.
Seek out a way that lets you place bullet on target, and don't let it keep you from having fun.
Enjoy every day, every time at the range, and the company of friends and family.
Take care.

Charlie Two Tracks
06-03-2012, 07:30 PM
I put a red dot sight on my GP-100 and I'm back to hitting stuff again. I couldn't focus on the sights and the target at the same time and the red dot sight fixed that right up.

geargnasher
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Ultradot. And some sort of support under your wrists.

Gear

wills
08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Don't call it quits. Just ask your target to move closer. :p

If the target gets between my eye and the front sight, it will be even harder to hit.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/images/steve_with_oa.jpg

Longwood
08-10-2012, 03:38 PM
If the target gets between my eye and the front sight, it will be even harder to hit.

I had the Merit, and a cheap plastic one, that was held on with a small alligator clip.
It had two disks, one on top of the other, so one could be turned to move smaller and smaller holes in place.
Some bakery goods come on a piece of the stiff, black plastic sheet, they used.
They helped 'Me' a lot.

PS
I was only in my early 40's then.

gbrown
08-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I can't align and hold the sights long enough to squeeze the trigger on my 686 S&W any more, worse yet I can't see the sights even with the front painted with fluorscent green paint. Oh well, I've still got 3 rifles and 3 shotguns to play with but I'll miss the revolver, I shot it every day of the world for several years.
Getting old ain't that great.

Quit? :?: H E Double Hockey Sticks NO! Ignite them primers and send lead down range. If you hit something, it's a bonus. The feel of the gun bucking in the hand is goood! Just cause you're not a 20X shooter anymore shouldn't slow you down. This is about having fun. I could shoot expert on a PPC and a military COF, but I could never group worth a darn. Just like I figured out in the 8th grade I would never be invited to the NBA or slam dunk a basketball!

twotoescharlie
08-10-2012, 04:00 PM
well fellers, I have inoperable cataracs,only have vision in one eye, doc says won't do surgery on a person with only one good eye. not until a person cannot function. still can see fairly well, but don't know how much longer. 75 now.

TTC

44man
08-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Wobble is crazy, I am almost 75 and have to wonder what I am seeing.
Ultra Dots saved my hunting. Never quit.
Groups open, wobble gets worse but a rest is a Godsend. You can still shoot a revolver like a rifle.

C.F.Plinker
08-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Lots of good ideas so far. One not mentioned is to get a pair of reading glasses that will let you focus just beyond your index finger. That is about where the front sight is. If you then have trouble seeing the target add a pinhole to increase the depth of field. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach.

dagger dog
08-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Rex,

I know where you're coming from, havent been able to shoot even a scoped rifle because of a cataract on my master (right) eye. Could shoot my handguns with my left eye if I used an aperture. But even then I had problems shooting cross eyed.

I found these at, www.clear2target.com, they are cheap and reusable, made a big difference. After you place the disc on your sighting eye glass lens and use it awhile it almost disappears and you only look through it when sighting, they work well with rifle too.

I'm on my last couple weeks of eye drops to heal up my cataract surgery on both eyes,it is hard to convey the difference to someone who has not suffered poor eyesight due to cataracts. It is amazing to have the definition and color back!

I could not afford to have my astigmatism and near sightedness correction (insurance) and still will have to wear glasses and an aperture while shooting iron sights.

But this year I'm really looking forward to the squirrel season opening of hunting here in southern Indiana hill country.

Hang in there bud, keep trying different things to see if you can find a soultion to your problem, we wouldn't want a fellow not to be able to persue his favorite passion.

Best off luck to ya !

TCLouis
08-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Occuvite or some other Zinc based eye supplement for a while

We all knew there had to be a good side of zinc didn't we???

Try one of those things on glasses to give you limited view (can not think of the proper term).

ole 5 hole group
08-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Take a look see at the post from 7P's and the rest of them.
http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/114843/page/1/fpart/3

Those eye doc's can work wonders for some of us - as far as the shakes, for some it might help to lift weights every day - no need to lift a ton but preacher curls and maybe 45* incline bench lifts with whatever weight you're comfortable doing, just might settle your arm down long enough to get a couple rounds off on target - then rest your arm and go again, again and then some more.

44man
08-11-2012, 02:23 PM
I have no sign of cataracs. They are caused by the sun. I never, ever went into the sun without sun glasses.
But age hardens the lens anyway so you can't focus. Mine are clear but will not stretch anymore.
Too bad they can't inject something in the lens to soften them. They could make Pelosi look good with injections! :bigsmyl2:
I have floaters so when I hunt, I see stuff moving all the time, another thing to drive a guy nuts.