PDA

View Full Version : Amazing .475 boolit

44man
04-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I was given these boolits and had one left. My friend came over and wanted to touch one off so I let him shoot into my fire wood stack with my BFR. One shot was all he wanted! He shot into the end of a seasoned hardwood log. The log is 18" long. I found the boolit buried to the grease groove in the log behind it. I dug it out and measured it. It lost .026" in diameter, now weighs 380gr's and I don't remember but know it was over 400. The hard lube is missing in places and doesn't look like it did anything except flake out in spots.
I have no idea what alloy it is but it still looks good after all of that wood. Too hard for me. No elephant around here.

targetshootr
04-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Must be one hard boolit. All any wood around here might need too.

:Fire:

PPpastordon
04-21-2007, 03:53 AM
"Too hard for me. No elephant around here."

44 man;
A friend once asked if I was elephant hunting with my 340's in my .44. Told him, "Not hunting, just herding them from my backyard - and can prove they work 'cause you sure won't find any still there!":roll:

BTW; sounds like you made a .45 out of that boolit!

44man
04-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Yes, the wood was very hard. The piece it stuck into took a lot of effort to even spread enough to get the bullet out. I had to use a big hammer and crowbar to beat the heck out of it and pry the crack open. It might have been some of the elm I had cut, don't know.

Tom W.
04-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Looks like one of those Penn "Thunderheads"

454PB
04-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Notice the lube is still in the grooves. I find boolits in the berm at the range with the lube still intact. I have to wonder how it can do any good if it's still on the spent boolit.

44man
04-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Iwouldn't mind if it prevented leading and stayed even in the grooves but when half is missing like this one had, (The other side was missing the lube.) it throws the boolit out of balance. I would rather have a lube that works in the bore and then any left, spins off when exiting the muzzle. No lube of sufficient amount can be used up in a bore unless it burns away.
Some of the commercial boolits sent to me lost almost all of the lube in the shipping box. I had to clean them off and put Felix on them. The stuff just broke out with a finger nail.
The hard lube might be the reason a lot of bought boolits don't have good accuracy.

joatmon
04-22-2007, 11:35 PM
I have my son split my fire wood with a maul but your way sounds like more fun!

lar45
04-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Notice the lube is still in the grooves. I find boolits in the berm at the range with the lube still intact. I have to wonder how it can do any good if it's still on the spent boolit.
I was talking with a cast boolit manufacterer the other day. He mentioned that with my Carnauba Red in hot revolver loads that he wasn't getting a lube star on the end of the barrel.
I've heard more than a few times about lube still being on the bullet so it must have not done it's job. (You do have to wonder though)

Soooo, my criterea for lube is if the barrel stays clean. No leading, fouling or grey wash, and the group size stays about the same. When the groups open way up, I take that as my first indicator that it's been pushed too hard. It could be other things also though.

just my .02

44man
04-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Lar, your lube groups too good to be breaking out. It is soft and sticky enough to work.
The lube that was on these boolits was so hard and brittle it looked like colored paraffin. It didn't stick to the lead at all and just fell away when touched. When a chunk comes out of a fired boolit it is like casting air bubbles on purpose.
Doesn't matter if some lube is still in fired boolits as long as it is nice and even all the way around.
It is rare when I find a boolit on my range. I have found a few in the back field with the metal detector and they still looked good.
That boolit from the wood sure didn't lube the fire wood any even after close to 19".