PDA

View Full Version : TC choices

wonderwolf
04-19-2007, 01:12 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a TC pistol for a while now. And I would like to get one sometime this year but I'm confused as to the differances between the Contender and the Encore. I know they came out with a new contender as well that allows you to pull the hammer back again after the first time.

I would like to be able to shoot up to .500 S&W out of it and I'm not sure if both frames are capable of handaling that round or if barrels are made for the round for both frames. I know I'll be wildcating with it for sure. making my own barrels and such. Thank your for your help in advance.

fourarmed
04-19-2007, 01:54 PM
The Encore is built to handle the big ones. The Contender is not.

wonderwolf
04-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Is the encore the same design as a contender but just a bigger frame? Like a 1911 standard and 1911 officer?

45nut
04-19-2007, 05:51 PM
the contender is a completely different animal from the G2 and the Encore. The G2 will accept "most" Contender barrels but there are some that will give you fits since these are machines with tolerances and not identical to a millionth of an inch.
The Encore and the G2 are kissing cousins basically, the G2 is merely downsized and the Encore will handle a lot more than the Contender was ever dreamed of.
I own 4 Encores and 4 Contender frames and a bunch of different barrels,from 17HMR to the 50AK in caliber and cartridge choices the TC's offer a lot.

wonderwolf
04-21-2007, 03:50 PM
So for a guy that just wants 1 frame go with the Encore I take it :-D

I don't plan on going frame and barrel crazy as I know some have. Just 1 frame with a handful of barrels will suffice. Are there any variations in the Encore line that I should stay away from or look for?

45nut
04-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Make sure you buy a "pistol" frame, although I have never ever heard of anyone first hand getting grief using a "rifle" frame in pistol configuration there is the .0000000099 chance that you could be the example of the govt.

wonderwolf
04-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Not to stir the waters at all but is the pistol frame the same as a rifle? Would they have dif serial number prefex?

Scrounger
04-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Not to stir the waters at all but is the pistol frame the same as a rifle? Would they have dif serial number prefex?

No. Technically the first time it sells (new), it becomes a rifle or pistol action at that moment. That said, The only people I've heard voice opinions on it are a few nervous nellies on the Internet who probably don't even own one. None of the Law Enforcement people, ATF Agents, stores where I bought used Contenders, or shooters ever worried one second about that. They all have more important tasks to deal with. They all realize it takes about 5 seconds to change barrels, rifle to pistol or vice versa, and worrying about that is a lesson in futility.

Oops, didn't realize I was stepping on Ken's toes. He is technically correct, of course. If I remember correctly, California may even have a regulation that all frames are sold as pistols, And everyone I have ever bought came with a pistol barrel; up until the last 3 or 4 years, the carbine barrels were not near as popular.

45nut
04-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Quite OK with more info adding to my own. As I said,,the real world scenario of getting in deep doo-doo with a so called "rifle" frame set up as a "pistol" concerns me not. It would merely be an add-on charge to an already ugly set of circumstances.
Most likely would be in a poaching or such set of mess, we lawful citizens are not likely to be pursued for a oversight.
The big thing is not to have a barrel on the frame of less than 16" in conjunction with a buttstock, that is a "short barreled rifle" and such is a revenue infraction. The feds want their $200.00 thank you to make one. Never mind how useful or not a SBR might or might not be,, they want their tax dammnit! Same set of taxes as for a quite useful accessory such as a suppressor. Now that would just be neighborly to use.

I am a big fan of the Thompson Center's and properly outfitted with a set of barrels you can hunt all manner of critters from mice to moose with one gun.

lathesmith
05-17-2007, 10:22 AM
WW, looks like you have some good info here to aid in choosing, but I can add a few comments. IF you must use the 500 S&W, you only have one choice: the Encore, since the Contender is not rated for this high pressure cartridge.
Also, I see you have specified you want to use it as a handgun only. If possible, see if you can find one of your shooting buds that have both an Encore and a Contender decked out in the barrel length and sighting system of your choice, so you can handle the two and see which has the better "feel" to you. Sure, the Encore will handle any cartridge you will want to use, but there is a price to pay:weight. To me, the Encore is so darned heavy, even with a shorter barrel and open sights, I just don't care for it as a pistol. I love it as a rifle, though. The Contender, on the other hand, to me is better suited as a handgun. Also important: how recoil-tolerant are you? Maybe I am a wimp, but to me a Contender firing, say, a .375 JDJ is very unpleasant, especially off the bench. In other words, even though the Encore will handle hotter cartridges, the Contender is plenty "hot enough" for me as a handgun, and the cartridges it will handle are all I care to experience, if you get my drift.
One final note, both the Encore and the Contender make wonderful rifles and carbines, and for me this would be a much harder choice. Fortunately, I can have both! But as a handgun, after trying both, I personally prefer the Contender. Of course, your mileage may vary... but have fun deciding!
Lathesmith

Doc Highwall
05-17-2007, 08:35 PM
I have only one encore frame for now. My biggest complant is changing it from a rifle to a handgun and back to a rifle. PITA. I am going to buy another frame and keep one as a rifle and one as a pistol. After all hobbies are to be relaxing. Doc Highwall.

versifier
05-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Doc, I am coming to the same conclusion with my Contender. I need another frame. I hate switching them back and forth. I think I'll go for a G2 and get a m/l barrel and forend to go with it.
Wonderwolf, if you want to shoot the rifle cases with -06 head sizes and bigger, you need to go with the Encore. That said, I really like my Contender with both pistol and carbine barrels. It is my favorite all around gun. My .30-30 carbine barrel is quite accurate, light, fast, and handy, likewise the .223 carbine barrel. As a handgun, everything from .22lr to .44mag has worked fine. I like the balance of the 10" barrels best, even if it means sacrificing a little velocity.
But, if you want to shoot the big ones, the Encore is the way to go - I think it is too heavy and not as well balanced as a handgun compared to the Contender, but the extra weight with the larger rifle cases/rifle barrels is a definite plus. With the biggest as a rifle, it could use even more weight.

Scrounger
05-18-2007, 12:07 AM
I agree about Contenders being great. I'm not sure their policies on what's safe and what isn't, makes any sense. The .44 Magnum, 40K pressure, is OK; .445 Supermag, longer case, same diameter, same pressure, OK; .444 Marlin, same diameter, same pressure, Oh, no, that's not safe; .444 Marlin case necked down to .375 (.375 JDJ), same pressure, now it's safe. ???? .45-70, OK; .444 Marlin, no. ???

C A Plater
05-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Maybe one reason .444 Contenders aren't recommended.

versifier
05-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Dare I ask the source of that photo?

C A Plater
05-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Not sure exactly where it originated. One of the tcbunch list members originally posted it to the list. Not his gun either and IIRC it was a hand loaded .444 round pushed just a touch too much. Fortunately there were no serious injuries from the incident. He kept the photo as computer screen wallpaper to remind him of what can go wrong.

dubber123
05-19-2007, 08:07 AM
I believe I saw this pic when origionally posted, and there was alot of speculation as to what went wrong, (whodathunkit). Some noticed a long string of additional holes drilled along the top of the barrel and blamed that. It is my understanding that this was a re-chamber from a .44 mag., and the quality of the re-chamber work would be my first thoughts. I believe they said it was a gun show purchase, and this was the 38th round fired at the range on their first trip. Whatever the reason, that couldn't have been much fun.

TCFAN
05-19-2007, 09:42 AM
I think lathesmith is exactly right.The Contender is best in my opinion used as a handgun.The Encore just doesn't work for me as a handgun but is great as a rifle.I just bought a new Encore and set it up with a 24 inch 30-30 barrel to use for cast boolits.It handles great and shoots very well.

lathesmith..I see your from Springfield Mo......Are you a member of the Bench rest club that shoots in Billings MO. I was a member there for years before I retired and moved to Ozark county.

Anyway T/C is a great company and the Contender and Encore are great firearms..............Terry

ebner glocken
05-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Hmnmmmm....I was at that club range yesterday. Didn't figure there was any other members here. Anyway I have a contender and love it. I can't tell you a thing about the encore though.

lathesmith
05-19-2007, 11:20 PM
TCFan, I have not been able to do as much shooting the last several years as I would like, and currently I am not a member of any of the clubs or ranges around here. Family takes priority at this time in my life, if you know what I mean. But, I am getting to the point where I will be able to devote more time to shootin' irons and such.
I looked long and hard at a 30/30 barrel for the Encore, as I prefer rimmed cartridges in single shots. Midway currently carries those, if they had one in stainless I would probably get one. I did pick up a 375 Winchester barrel (blued) for the Encore, and I do really like it. I have a stainless 375 Win for the G2 Contender, a 24 incher. I also have a 7/30 Waters SS 24 incher, and I really hate to give these up, they shoot so well. DH has it right, a guy needs at least a couple of different frames for these things, switching from carbine to handgun is just too much trouble!
What I am now waiting for is an SS G2 frame. Have any of you guys seen one of these? I see T/C says they are now making them, and I would really like to find one.

JSH
05-20-2007, 08:20 AM
I just saw one of the SS G2 frames last week. I tlooked good, but SS has never really grown on me. BTW, the SS G2 frame has no over travel screw on the trigger guard. I read a while back that TC is no longer putting them on the Encore or G2.
As to the Encore platform. I have one, early blued frame. I had looked them over and handled them off and on since they first came out. I really disliked the way the wood grip felt in my hand. I ran across this one with factory rubber grip and it felt more in line with the Contender, so it cam home with me. The weight never much bothered me as I have pretty fair sized hands and forearms.
I had always had the wants for a 309JDJ, but always felt that it was right on the edge of pressures for the Contender. So I picked up a 308 Win barrel for the Encore. This barrel has done nothing less than suprise me from the get go with store bought FLGC ammo. The Encore drew blood this last fall on one of the biggest white tails I have taken with rifle or handgun. Shot offhand at about 130 yards, w/scope
The weight of the Encore helps absorb recoil from some of the heavy thumpers.
Jeff